Pain Of Savation - Remedy Lane is killer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pain Of Savation - Remedy Lane is killer

3-LockBox
01-28-2005, 09:04 AM
I was a little apprehensive about this one, (after buying Pallas-Cross & Crucible from the same label) but decided to take a shot; boy was I pleasantly surprised. A very musical prog metal album that ecshews the dungeons and dragons lyrics. There are some very strong moments in this album, like <i>This Heart Of Mine</i>, and <i>Second Love</i>, both of which are power ballads that would have received massive overplay in the '80s. There is also some long-play muscle in the form of prog metal tunes like <i>Trace Of Blood</i>, <i>Rope Ends</i>, and <i>Beyond The Pale</i>, three tunes that might come across as Queensryche-by-the-numbers, but are still done very well and aren't contrived. <i>Dryad of the Woods</i> is a great, transcendant instrumental that shows what a very deft touch POS has on this album. Even at nearly 70 minutes in length, <b>Remedy Lane</b> doesn't seem over-long. This isn't an album of virtuosity, its about very strong writing and a keen sense of melody.

How do other POS albums stack up next to this one?

richmon
01-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Since I'm at work away from my music, I recall liking 'The Perfect Element Pt I' alot. The first two songs are misleading, they're metalish more than progressive and not as strong as the rest of the ceedee. But song 3 (ashes) is blissfull and the album is strong from song 3 onward.
I'd call it a very good, great in spots. It's still in the spin cycle after having it for a few years.
Not too metalish, not too progressive, fairly high melodic content.
Very Good, but not a absolute must have.

progfan
01-28-2005, 07:22 PM
I need to give these guys another shot. I have "One Hour by the Concrete Lake" and I've only played it twice. Nothing seems to stick with me but maybe it's one of those that grow on you.

I'm really scared of "Be", which I guess is really love it/hate it.

Dusty Chalk
01-29-2005, 09:11 PM
I can't believe you didn't mention the drumming! The drumming on PoS albums is excellent!

I like One Hour by the Concrete Lake and Perfect Element Pt. 1 a lot, and even enjoy Be. The only one that isn't essential, IMHO, is 12:5 -- for some reason, I just can't get into that one.

sina
01-10-2006, 04:25 AM
drumming is good:)

caniac
01-15-2006, 07:39 PM
I don't get "Be". I understand it's poignant and transcendent and all that, but there's very little actual *music* on it.

Maybe I should try Remedy Lane, but Be kind of turned me off to POS.

3-LockBox
01-16-2006, 12:30 PM
I will say that POS did require at least three or more listens to 'get'. There were a few songs that were immediately accessible and kept me coming back to the album: and subsequently I'd hear an new wrinkle or layer with every listen.

But most fans of POS have a problem with BE.

Dave_G
01-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Speaking of Pallas....

Cross and Crucible toom many many listens before I "got it".

Do you know what I mean?

Like the first several listens, the music didn't really "come together". Then all of a sudden during a listen it just goes "wham" and the recording really takes on a different feel altogether.

This happens for me on almost every album.

Dave