The Thrills - Let's Bottle Bohemia [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Thrills - Let's Bottle Bohemia

ForeverAutumn
01-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Is anyone else listening to this most excellent album? I know that I have no Indie-Hipster cred. (and that's just fine with me), but seriously...you Indie-Hipster-Elitist-Snobs would love this disk!

Think Flaming Lips fused with The Honeydogs. This is right up there with some of the other bands that get talked about a lot here. Besides the two aforementioned bands, I would include The Shins and Death Cab For Cutie as other similar bands.

I posted about this when I first picked it up last summer. And I haven't listened to it in while, but I threw it back in the player this morning and, even though I didn't post a best of 2004 list, this would definately be top 5...maybe even top 3. I love it almost as much as I love 10,000 Years.

This CD was totally overlooked in 2004 and shouldn't have been (IMHO).

Davey. Swish. All the rest of you IHESs. What are you waiting for? Get on the bandwagon. You need to hear this CD!!!!

Mike
01-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Yeah I've had it a while now too but it never grabbed me first time round so I haven't played it much at all, maybe I need to dig it out again thanks for the reminder.

I think I suffered a bit of burn out with music by the end of last year (never thought I would hear myself admit to that!) but so much music came my way either originals or copies unless something grabbed my attention straightaway I moved on, still it's good to rediscover your collection again.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
01-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Davey. Swish. All the rest of you IHESs. What are you waiting for? Get on the bandwagon. You need to hear this CD!!!!
My indie hipster status has been questionable lately, what can I say? Not sure about the Thrills IHES rating though. I have seen them on a couple occasions on TV and wasn't all that impressed, although I do remember coming out of my normal TV induced catatonic state when they performed on one of the late night shows. I initially liked the sound and the aesthetic, but then it seemed they didn't really go anywhere with it and I lost interest. But I'll check out some mp3 and listen afresh. Thanks for the word.

Gav_2000
02-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Is anyone else listening to this most excellent album? I know that I have no Indie-Hipster cred. (and that's just fine with me), but seriously...you Indie-Hipster-Elitist-Snobs would love this disk!

This CD was totally overlooked in 2004 and shouldn't have been (IMHO).

I actually think that The Thrills first album 'So Much for the City' was far more listenable and enjoyable on a repeat basis.

I found 'Let's Bottle Bohemia' to be very very similar but without the stand out tracks to bring the whole thing together into a great album.

Have you heard their first one, what's your view?

ForeverAutumn
02-15-2005, 10:09 AM
I actually think that The Thrills first album 'So Much for the City' was far more listenable and enjoyable on a repeat basis.

I found 'Let's Bottle Bohemia' to be very very similar but without the stand out tracks to bring the whole thing together into a great album.

Have you heard their first one, what's your view?

Hi Gav. Welcome back to RR. I've been here about 2.5 years now and my CD collection has almost doubled in that time. I'm listening to stuff now that I would have never given a chance to a few years ago. My mind has been expanded beyond belief!

I have both Thrills albums and I much prefer the second one. I was in a CD store and it was being played in the store. I had to ask the clerk what was playing because I was enjoying it so much, and I bought it on the spot. Based on how much I enjoyed that disk, I went back and bought their first one (which the clerk also preferred over their second release btw). But I didn't like it nearly as much. If I had heard the first disk first, I would have never purchased their second, so I'm glad I heard them in the order that I did.

I found the first disk to be a little droney. I don't quite know how to explain what I mean. It's a little too "Neil Young" sounding. Which is a bad thing for me. Does that make sense? It's not that I didn't like it...I just didn't like it as much. It's been about six months since I've listened to it, so maybe I should give it another chance.