Blockbusters "New" Policy.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blockbusters "New" Policy....

Worf101
01-28-2005, 07:23 AM
"No late fees" = "No movies in stock".

Been to BB 3 times in the last week or so trying to rent "The Village".... no such luck. This sucks big time. Kinda reminds me when AOL when all you could eat and then nobody could get on due to lack of server space. Sigh... idjits.

Da Worfster :confused:

kexodusc
01-28-2005, 08:17 AM
I don't know for sure if this is gonna be the trend now, Worf, but even up here in Canada this policy applies, and I've had problems with "guaranteed rentals" as well...but they offered me a freebie.

Just guessing, but I suspect this is the result of that massive jillion dollar class action lawsuit against them charging zillions for late fees.
"Idgits" indeed. :mad:

paul_pci
01-28-2005, 11:53 AM
That was exactly the first though that I had, and so far, I've only been in once and to rent not so new movies: Spiderman 2, Dodgeball ("You look like a bunch of retards humping doorknobs!"), and Garden State. There were plenty in stock, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

eqm
01-29-2005, 08:05 AM
"No late fees" = "No movies in stock".

Been to BB 3 times in the last week or so trying to rent "The Village".... no such luck. This sucks big time. Kinda reminds me when AOL when all you could eat and then nobody could get on due to lack of server space. Sigh... idjits.

Da Worfster :confused:

I got your "The Village" copy right here! :D. Actually, I did find it at my local Hollywood Video store with no problem, and when I went in I asked the guys behind the counter about the Blockbuster thing and if it was affecting business. Long story short, apparently you have a week after the due date with no problems, after that you get billed the purchase price of the DVD (possibly the previously viewed pricing) on your credit card you gave to secure your membership. You are allowed to return the movie within 30 days for store credit minus a $1.50 "shelving fee". No cash refunds, only store credit. And...the boys behind the counter are being instructed DIRECTLY from management NOT to give the details, but I'm sure they're written somewhere.

Anyway...dig the MG avatar...and I'm surprised with companies bastardizing great songs from the past "ala Applebee's using of "suzie-q" by CCR to sell "Oh Bar-b-Que!" that a furniture company hasn't done..."When I get that feeling, I want SECTIONAL SEATING!" ;)

sorry...couldn't resist.

jeskibuff
01-29-2005, 11:07 AM
I like the new policy myself, but I don't think it's such a smart move on their part. I'm definitely keeping my rentals 2 or 3 days past their "due date", which means if most people do the same, there'll be less product on the shelves to rent. However, I stopped in on Tuesday to pick up a copy of Alien vs. Predator and there were none to be had. You can't blame this on the absence of late fees, as the movie only became available on that day.

I'd say if they wanted to pick up business, they could drop the rental price from $3.99 to maybe $2.79 or even $2.49 and make the late fee $.50 per day with a cap.

I only rent at Blockbuster when I get a decent deal. Right now I've got several gift cards I've yet to use up. Maybe I'll go with their version of Netflix when I run out. That's a decent deal.

JSE
01-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Yep, the BB near me is now constantly out of new releases. I have never had problems getting new releases before. Sure, from time to time they were out, but never like this.

JSE

risabet
01-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Yep, the BB near me is now constantly out of new releases. I have never had problems getting new releases before. Sure, from time to time they were out, but never like this.

JSE

KEEP THIS ON THE DOWN LOW or none of us will get any new releases

The trick is to go in on either a Tuesday when the new releases come out or on Thursday when Tuesday's rentals are returned. I never have trouble getting a movie when I follow this pattern.

PS: the AM is better than the PM.

JSE
01-31-2005, 07:09 AM
I like the new policy myself, but I don't think it's such a smart move on their part. I'm definitely keeping my rentals 2 or 3 days past their "due date", which means if most people do the same, there'll be less product on the shelves to rent. However, I stopped in on Tuesday to pick up a copy of Alien vs. Predator and there were none to be had. You can't blame this on the absence of late fees, as the movie only became available on that day.

I'd say if they wanted to pick up business, they could drop the rental price from $3.99 to maybe $2.79 or even $2.49 and make the late fee $.50 per day with a cap.

I only rent at Blockbuster when I get a decent deal. Right now I've got several gift cards I've yet to use up. Maybe I'll go with their version of Netflix when I run out. That's a decent deal.

I can't see how this new policy can make them more money? Like you said, less product on the shelves to rent. The 2 day and longer due dates kept product on the shelf ready to rent. Now no product, no sale. I have been in the BB near me about 4 or 5 times over the past few weeks and left empty handed 3 of those times. That's good business! Also, do they still have the guranteed rental policy? I have not seen any signs lately and they sure as hell don't push the policy.

I have yet to try it but, HEB grocery stores have the vending machines with DVD rentals. The cost is much less and no late fees, I think. I'm going to try it out this week and if it works good, Goodbye BlockBuster!

JSE

kexodusc
01-31-2005, 07:15 AM
Well, I live in Canada now, and I can confirm that as of today they STILL have the Guaranteed Rental thing going...but here's the catch, the only 2 movies are Alien Vs. Predator, and Troy...Whoop-dee-crap!
And I'm not sure if it was this way before, but you have only 2 weeks to take advantage of the Free rental if these Cinematic Masterpieces aren't on the shelf when you walk in.

They probably have Guaranteed Rentals until their down to 1 copy, then they switch it out of that category into regular old "New Releases", which as far as I can tell, incorporate every release since May 2002 to present.

Worf101
01-31-2005, 08:11 AM
I can't see how this new policy can make them more money? Like you said, less product on the shelves to rent. The 2 day and longer due dates kept product on the shelf ready to rent. Now no product, no sale. I have been in the BB near me about 4 or 5 times over the past few weeks and left empty handed 3 of those times. That's good business! Also, do they still have the guranteed rental policy? I have not seen any signs lately and they sure as hell don't push the policy.

I have yet to try it but, HEB grocery stores have the vending machines with DVD rentals. The cost is much less and no late fees, I think. I'm going to try it out this week and if it works good, Goodbye BlockBuster!

JSE

That's the situation as I've found it, simple as that. FINALLY got to see "The Village" but there was one and only one copy there. Sigh, welp, folks keep telling me to do NetFlix I guess now I'll have to to try it at least.

Da Worfster :cool:

JSE
02-02-2005, 08:09 PM
OK, tried the DVD vending machine at the grocery store. It cost $1 for a 14 day rental. If you don't return the DVD within 14 days, your credit card get's charged $25. You can rent up to 3 DVDs at once.

$1 FREAKING DOLLAR! :eek:

The machine spits them out in a plastic case and you simply deposit them back in the machine. Very easy. There was a great selection of all the new releases plus some others. None of the new releases were all checked out. The kicker is the grocery store this machine is in is right next to BlockBuster. :p For newer releases, BB can kiss my big white arse!

The DVD universe is back in harmony for me. :D

JSE

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-03-2005, 10:37 AM
I never rent DVD's anymore. I just buy everything I want to see, because I will definately much watch it more than one time. And from time to time I will go back and look at a movie I have purchased a year ago if I really liked it. I loathe blockbuster, and do not trust them one bit. I caught their sorry butts charging my credit card for late fees, even though the videos were turned in early or on time. I made them credit my account back(I keep good records) and never did business with them ever again.

Now I just go to Best buy every tuesday, and look for what I want(when I am in town), and just buy it. This practice does have it's drawbacks. I had to designate a closet for DVD's only in my apartment. My apartment is not small, but a whole closet for JUST DVD's??? I scratch my head at my excesses sometimes.

Olivertmc
02-03-2005, 01:19 PM
I've been using Netflix for the last three years and can't recommend it enough. The selection is far superior to any video store I've ever been to and the convenience of having the movies mailed directly to your door is unbeatable. Admittedly, I was very skeptical of renting movies through the internet and picking-up and returning through the mail - but it works very well. There are very few products/services with which I am truly pleased - Netflix is one of them. I write this message because reading your posts regarding Blockbuster just reminds me of how happy I am to avoid video stores altogether.

**Despite its content, this message has NOT been paid for by Netflix.**

Woochifer
02-03-2005, 05:41 PM
I think they're just trying to move more bodies through their stores. The rental market has been a shrinking market since the advent of DVD, and now with on-demand pay-per-view on the horizon, there are fewer reasons than ever for people to go to Blockbuster. Eliminating late fees eliminates one of those hangups, so it's more of a defensive move on their part. On the other hand, it also clears the way for a lot more people to now visit Blockbuster stores. While eliminating late fees is a good thing, the catch is that if you keep the movie too long, then you've basically bought it. It also puts further pressure on the few remaining independent video stores out there. By some accounts, late fees account for as much as 40% of a store's revenue.

I stopped by my local Blockbuster last week for the first time in probably two years (believe it or not, I just needed to find a blank VHS tape at 11pm). I was surprised by a few things. First, their inventory has pretty much completely gone to DVD. The VHS tapes on the shelves were few and far between. Also, they now carry a lot of new DVDs for sale. The way that the store has been arranged, it seems that they're trying to get people to buy DVDs once they're in the store.

Blockbuster's also trying another survival strategy by launching a hostile takeover bid for Hollywood Video. They'd been in merger talks, but Blockbuster got impatient and launched a hostile bid a few weeks ago. If the merger goes through, then Blockbuster's a near monopoly at that point. But, with video sales and other distribution channels on the rise, and rentals declining, who knows if it will matter in the end.

jamison
02-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Personally I think they should put Blockbuster in charge of homeland security. as strict as they are it might just cut down on terrorism LOL

dean_martin
02-23-2005, 08:18 AM
You guys may have read the fine print by now, but in case you haven't and you intend on keeping that last rental indefinitely:

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050219/BUSINESS/502190356/1003/SPORTS

Worf101
02-23-2005, 08:29 AM
You guys may have read the fine print by now, but in case you haven't and you intend on keeping that last rental indefinitely:

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050219/BUSINESS/502190356/1003/SPORTS
I appreciate it. Also I'm curious about your avatar. It looks like the work of Jim Sterenko from the late 60's early 70's but I'm sure it's a movie poster or something... can you help a brother out??? :confused:

dean_martin
02-23-2005, 09:01 AM
I appreciate it. Also I'm curious about your avatar. It looks like the work of Jim Sterenko from the late 60's early 70's but I'm sure it's a movie poster or something... can you help a brother out??? :confused:

Sure, it's from the official website for the comic book Diabolik. It's in Italian, so I just look at the pictures. The movie directed by Mario Bavo with John Philip Law is a lot of fun.

http://www.diabolik.it/pubblicazioni.asp

Click on the "Album" link for a collection of artwork.

dean_martin
02-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Also I'm curious about your avatar.

BTW, I just quoted your avatar over at the off topic board (see the contaminated fish thread). Great album!

eisforelectronic
02-24-2005, 12:52 AM
before the new policy went into effect I was loving my BB moviepass. I would keep movies as long as I wanted, sometimes rent 3 aday for several days in a row. I just loved not being on a return schedule. Now I just contribute to the problem.