have bi-wire questions...sorry [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : have bi-wire questions...sorry

Willow
12-19-2003, 11:54 AM
first of all is it really worth it I do have the Xtra cables lying around...second the receiver has bananer plugs but im not using them i just loosen the screw cap and slide the wire in....should I A: buy banana plugs or can i just put the 2 cable in the hole with the 1rst one. I thought 2 cables using the same out would reduce the power flow or quality. I would only do the fronts and not the rears. not sure if my centre has the Xtra binding posts.

Thanks

markw
12-19-2003, 01:08 PM
That's quite a mouthfull there, W. Lemme see what I can do.

As far as is it worth it? Well, you ain't out a penny if it doesn't provide night and day differences. In any case, don't expect miracles. At worst, you'll increase the effective gauge of t he wire going to the speakers and that won't hurt.

When doing this, hook up TWO speaker cables to the SAME amplifier terminal. I don't recommebnd hooking speaker cables up to diifferent connecters on the back of the amp. No telling how they are handled internally.

(It does not matter how you do this (piggybacking banana plugs, another wire into the holes on the post, or another spade lug). There is no problem with losing power this way.

As long as no wire from a "+" (red) terminal touches a wire from the "-" (black) terminal, you are fine.

re-read the above sentence.

Run both wires from one amplifier channel to the same speaker.

Remove both jumpers (top to bottom) from both sides ("+" and "-") of the speaker.

Hook up one wire, both "+" and "-", to their respective connectors on the top pair.

Do the same to the bottom pair with the other wire.

Repeat the process for the other channel and enjoy. IMNSHO, I'm not really sold on this as a practiacal way to improve sound but hey, you already have the wires so what's to lose?.

Willow
12-19-2003, 01:27 PM
That's quite a mouthfull there, W. Lemme see what I can do.

As far as is it worth it? Well, you ain't out a penny if it doesn't provide night and day differences. In any case, don't expect miracles. At worst, you'll increase the effective gauge of t he wire going to the speakers and that won't hurt.

When doing this, hook up TWO speaker cables to the SAME amplifier terminal. I don't recommebnd hooking speaker cables up to diifferent connecters on the back of the amp. No telling how they are handled internally.

(It does not matter how you do this (piggybacking banana plugs, another wire into the holes on the post, or another spade lug). There is no problem with losing power this way.

As long as no wire from a "+" (red) terminal touches a wire from the "-" (black) terminal, you are fine.

re-read the above sentence.

Run both wires from one amplifier channel to the same speaker.

Remove both jumpers (top to bottom) from both sides ("+" and "-") of the speaker.

Hook up one wire, both "+" and "-", to their respective connectors on the top pair.

Do the same to the bottom pair with the other wire.

Repeat the process for the other channel and enjoy. IMNSHO, I'm not really sold on this as a practiacal way to improve sound but hey, you already have the wires so what's to lose?.

thanks ...I think Ill just wait this one out I just upgraded 2 weeks ago...maybe Ill just enjoy what I have now and tackle this another day. Sounds like to much work for me now...thats all I need for my wife to walk in on me will im playing around with the system.........again.....Quote "can't you just leave that thing alone"

FLZapped
12-19-2003, 02:41 PM
thanks ...I think Ill just wait this one out I just upgraded 2 weeks ago...maybe Ill just enjoy what I have now and tackle this another day. Sounds like to much work for me now...thats all I need for my wife to walk in on me will im playing around with the system.........again.....Quote "can't you just leave that thing alone"

BTW - You can get some of that braided cloth tubing to cover the wire so it only looks like one. (Or even some of the plasitc loom too)

-Bruce

woodman
12-20-2003, 12:07 PM

Listen to your inner voice which is telling you that your wife won't be happy with this endeavor. Not only that, but in the final analysis the only difference that you will likely hear, will be created in your own mind regardless of what some misguided (although undoubtedly sincere) fools will try to tell you regarding the miraculous improvements in sound quality to be gained from this nonsense!

Many people say - "what have you got to lose?" To which I say - "what have you got to gain?"

Answer: ... not very damned much! Except for a bigger mess of wire behind your equipment - and - more possibility of shorting a + and a - terminal inadvertently, causing possibly a sudden death to the output devices in your amp!

Your inclination to leave well enough alone and enjoy what you have is the correct one.