Any suggestions about my subwoofer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions about my subwoofer?

ironbird01
01-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Aloha,

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help me with this problem I've encountered. Thank you in advance. Recently my M&K MX-125 sub started not functiong like before. The sub level when turned up only works at 2 certain points, all other spots it makes a whurring sound (like a helicopter) and the cone itself is moving in and out very fast. I hope it's nothing too serious since I didn't purchase it at an "authorized dealer" (pawn shop deal of the century) and have no paperwork for it. Well, thanks for reading my post.

Mahalo again,

Chris (ironbird01)

Worf101
01-28-2005, 07:16 AM
Wow, sounds like some sort of short in your rig somewhere. When a speaker flutters in and out like that something funny is definately going wrong. Here's some suggestions...

1. Borrow a sub from some one and see if the problem is in your Receiver and not your sub.

2. If it's the receiver ie signal try a different better subwoofer connection perhaps even clean the connectors to ensure a better seat.

3. If your receiver is NOT the problem try the sub on someone elses system if it is the problem take it in to a local shop see if you can get it fixed on the cheap. Try one and two first though..

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster :o

kexodusc
01-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Just as an addition to Worf's solid advice...if your sub accepts the L and R speaker inputs you might be able to narrow it down a bit quicker, rather than having to borrow another subwoofer (assuming the receivers r & l outputs work). Connect the sub via the speaker outputs and see if the problem persists...if it does, it's a safe bet it's not the receiver's LFE output or the subs LFE input.

ironbird01
01-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks for such a quick response! I'll be sure to try both. Mahalo