Sub Clipping problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub Clipping problem

popolz
01-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I have a JVC 7042S receiver with a set of Quest speakers (2-3years old brand of speakers made in Montreal, Canada). When I raise the volume to ~33-35 (on 70) I have clipping issue with the subwoofer that came with the surround package. The sub is a self powered 8" 60 watts.

I changed the power source (different wall jack but on the same electrical circuit as the receiver) and sub rca cable. The problem wasn't as bad but I still had clipping :( So I thought it's the sub.

So I went and bought a Paradigm PDR-12. Crossover level is 80Hz on my receiver, crossover level is ~80Hz on the sub, sub volume is ~1/2 way up , I removed all the EQ settings I had, enabled the LFE attenuate (-10db), subwoofer output level is at 0 (settings goes from -10 to +10dB ) and again... it's clipping :(

I changed my sub cable once again from a noname (RCA/COAX) to a Acoustic Research 15' shielded cable for sub only... and again, it's clipping :(

The only thing I haven't tried is to return the receiver or to hook up the sub on a different electrical circuit.

So what do you think? Bad subwoofer output on the receiver or lack of Electric current on the circuit?

markw
01-27-2005, 06:22 PM
'nuff said.

Did you try the sub on another receiver/amp? Might be a good place to start.

popolz
01-27-2005, 07:36 PM
That's the only thing I haven't tried and I dont really have another receiver/amp to try. The receiver is still on warranty it's only 2months old. I guess I'll bring it back.

StanleyMuso
01-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Actually, it seems as if your sub is being overpowered at the volume you are playing at. Does it still clip at a lower volume setting? Either decrease the volume at the amp or at the sub itself. It may be that the sub is not big enough for what you want from it.

popolz
01-27-2005, 10:40 PM
if I listen to a movie below 35 it wont clip.

I tried to watch a movie over 35 with decreased sub volume @ the amp and at the sub and it's clipping.

StanleyMuso
01-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Sounds to me like the amp itself is being driven into clipping, which suggests it is underpowered for your needs. You may have no choice but to listen at a lower volume than you would like. Also, subs which come as part of a package are often ( though not always) of low power and quality. I have a lower range M&K with a 12 inch cone and it has never clipped, even at high volumes. If you want decent base, you may need to invest in a better quality sub, with a bigger cone and amp than the one you already have.

popolz
01-31-2005, 03:41 PM
well the small sub that came in the package was clipping easily that's why I bought a paradigm PDR-12.

Anyway I brought my PDR-12 to my friend and we tested it on his Yamaha Receiver and it was clipping as well... looks like the sub isn't as powerful as I thought it was... it's a deception for a 750 CAN$ sub :(