DD 5.1 through Cable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DD 5.1 through Cable

Eric Z
01-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Hello, everyone-

I am fairly new to 5.1 set-ups. I really enjoy watching DVDs in DD/DTS 5.1, however, not sure about any programming (tv shows or sports) that is 5.1.

Can this be done without HDTV?
Can it be done with regular cable or digital cable?
What about satellite?

Just wondering.

Thanks.
Eric

paul_pci
01-27-2005, 06:28 PM
5.1 audio on TV is not limited to HD programming. Basically you need a cable box or satellite reciever with a digital audio out and a subscription to channels, like HBO, Starz, Showtime that broadcast some of their movies in 5.1. In my opinion, digital cable sucks, but could be the area provider here. I have direct tv and I love it. But not every movie channel will broadcast in 5.1 and not every movie is broadcast in 5.1. On my direct tv set up, the guide indicates which programming is in 5.1 and which isnt. On my friend's digital cable, it's pure guess work which ones are. Is it worth getting? I think so.

Eric Z
01-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the info, Paul!

I was thinking about DirectTV- I've always had cable so I guess I'm a little hesitant to switch over. Also, they have a great deal for cable TV and cable Internet- I might try it out for a while and then switch over if desired.

Do you know if regular TV shows or sporting events broadcast in 5.1? Just wondering.

Thanks again.
Eric

paul_pci
01-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info, Paul!

I was thinking about DirectTV- I've always had cable so I guess I'm a little hesitant to switch over. Also, they have a great deal for cable TV and cable Internet- I might try it out for a while and then switch over if desired.

Do you know if regular TV shows or sporting events broadcast in 5.1? Just wondering.

Thanks again.
Eric

This is my understanding: Broadcast networks (NBC, etc) do broadcast HD programming with attending 5.1 audio. But you would need an HD tuner to pick up those broadcasts, which, like regular tv, is free. What I don't know is if you pick up an HD package from your cable company or satellite company whether they would include HD versions of the type of shows and sporting events you're thinking of. It's best to ask them what they offer. But like on my Direct TV- non HD programming, only the movie channels have 5.1 audio at this point and I have no idea if that's going to change. I would say, as long as there appears to be a bum's rush to HD, they probably won't bother expanding 5.1 to other programming.

Eric Z
01-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks a bunch, Paul! That's the info I was looking for.