Newbie question - Banana plugs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - Banana plugs

MarkM13
01-27-2005, 03:00 AM
Assuming that a speaker has both options, what's the advantage of the banana plugs over the traditional clip system. Also, would one plug per wire be used or does the plug accept both speaker wires.

Thanks,
Mark

markw
01-27-2005, 03:12 AM
Bananas are easier to insert and remove than spade lugs, particularly in light of the tight spacing of modern receivers. The "better connection" sometimes used to foster spade lugs is a non issue since bananas actually have more contact ares than spades.

As for as your "both speaker wires" quandry, I'm a bit unclear. You NEVER want the two wires to touch.

If you have a single banana plug then one wire goes into it. If you have dual banana plugs (two singles physicaly joined at a set spacing) then you would insert one wire into each banana. I prefer single bananas myself.

kexodusc
01-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Bananas are the greatest thing since beer. If you're like me and have 9 components hooked up to your receiver, 7 speakers, too much wire and cables, and not much space behind the a/v rack, you definitely need them. If you ever do any switching, or rearranging, they're a godsend.
Best part is, you can get quality plugs for dirt cheap these days.

I agree with markw, single plugs are better, IMO, sometimes I find the dual bananas are spaced ever so slightly different than the terminals, making it hard to fit them in.

jamison162
01-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Where can I get som egood quality cheap plugs? I looked at a local Radio Shack and gees, they're $4+ each.

kexodusc
01-27-2005, 09:19 AM
How many do you need? I buy them by the dozen, but these ones are highly thought of, and come in packs of 2 red, and 2 black for $6.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-1260
Or hit the link at the top and look at their other plugs.
You'll need to pay shipping, still worthwhile if you (and friends?) can buy enough.
I always piggy back them with other orders to make them more economical.

You can try ebay too and do ok usually.
Orange county speakers sold some awesome GLS Audio plugs for $1.60 or so a pair if you bought by the dozen or so a few months back...shop around.

toca
01-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Or you can buy them here:
speaker wire and connectors.
http://bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Billiam
02-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Banana plugs may become loose after a while if you are using real heavy speaker cable. Although, this will probably not be an issue for you. :)