System question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : System question

marrj
01-26-2005, 07:27 PM
I recently bought a used pair of Martin Logan Aerius 4ohm speakers (my 1st pair of higher end speakers) as well as a brand new Rotel RSX-1056 (75watt x 7channels or 100watt x 2channels) surround receiver and Rotel DVD. I also bought a new Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer. I am somewhat frustrated becuase when I turn up the volume to a loud (but not super loud level) the speakers start to sound like they are distorting with vocals on CD's. I am wondering if there is something, without spending a fortune, to make the speakers sound better, without distortion at a louder (more volume) level? Would an amp make a difference or have the speakers just reached their capacity with the current receiver I have?

Also, if there are any other recommendations other than an amp, please let me know! I am trying to learn as much as I can.

RGA
01-26-2005, 07:58 PM
There are some advantages with planars and stats volume level and dynamics are not advantages. Expecially true of the entry level Stats. I have heard the Aerius i and while part of it works it could not play loud = even had trouble with for what I would consider meium loud - adding amps and subs don't help that and can sound out of whack.

I have to say that while i like a lot of what ML is doing they simply have way too many problems to really consider owning. They look great and they are clear in the midrange giving a holographic effect - but a tiny sweetspot limited dynamics poor bass driver integration (all models), difficult to drive, incinsistencies in the upper treble, and not room firendly in the least bit. Stats have so many isses I sometimes wonder why people think it's worth it (plus you have to clean them a lot and if the panel goes you basically need to buy new speakers.

Seriously if You want a good rock speaker I would not choose any sort of planar/stat speaker and it is rather upsetting taht a dealer could possibly recommend a small stat to you if indeed a dealer did. I'd take them back - contrary to popular belief there are boxed speakers that can do classical better than stats and also rock and may actually cost less than the stats.

E-Stat
01-26-2005, 08:10 PM
I recently bought a used pair of Martin Logan Aerius 4ohm speakers (my 1st pair of higher end speakers) as well as a brand new Rotel RSX-1056 (75watt x 7channels or 100watt x 2channels) surround receiver and Rotel DVD. I also bought a new Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer. I am somewhat frustrated becuase when I turn up the volume to a loud (but not super loud level) the speakers start to sound like they are distorting with vocals on CD's.
You are likely clipping the amp. One thing that you'll find, however, is that electrostats actually play louder (as measured by an SPL meter) than you think they are. They can be quite deceptive in that regard. Like live unamplified music.

rw

enrique
01-27-2005, 04:27 AM
You are also using 4ohm speakers.I have the same rotel and was interested in getting some dynaudio's which are 4ohm.I called rotel and they said not to use 4ohm speakers without an amp only 8ohm.Granted there are alot of people i have learned that use 4ohm speakers w/rotel rsx1056,so much that i got a little upset that i did'nt get the dyn's because of what rotel told me.I ended up w/ a B&W setup that i like by the way but they were'nt my first choice.Maybe if you can add a decent amp to the rotel to power the ML's you wont have the problem your having.You may also want to ask those who use rotel rsx1056 w/o an amp w/ 4ohm speakers to see how they like them and how well the rotel functions with 4ohm.

Feanor
01-27-2005, 07:24 AM
I...Also, if there are any other recommendations other than an amp, please let me know! I am trying to learn as much as I can.
By your description, your amplifier could well be the culprit. Possibly you are clipping it as was suggested and/or the 4 ohm load could be the issue. Another possibility is that the Rotel just isn't good enough for these speakers. For what I've heard, Rotel is "the top of low-end", not high-end.

I'm biased by my own experience, but I'd suggest a Bel Canto or PS Audio "digital" amp. My Bel Canto eVo2i, (200 wt/ch@4ohms), will drive my inefficient, 4 ohm Magneplanar MMGs cleanly to levels far louder than I would ever care to listen to them

enrique
01-27-2005, 11:47 AM
If you go to the club rotel at the" htguideforum" i'm sure they'll be able to help you.