speaker sharing [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker sharing

anto68
01-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi all!
This might be confusing, but I really need advice, so please bear with me...
I currently have a simple Pioneer Home Theater system where the only way to add an external audio source is through a digital coaxial PCM input. The 5.1 speakers are connected to the system through the usual push-release connectors.
To view my european DVDs, I just bought another DVD player with DD decoding (6 RCA connectors) and also a DD/DTS digital coaxial output that I guess won't work with the PCM-only digital coaxial input in my Pioneer.
Now, I want to be able to share the 6 Pioneer speakers with the new DVD player.
The only way I can think of is to use speaker wires with RCA plugs at one end (into the new player) and "free wires" at the other end (connected to the rear of the Pioneer, where the speakers are connected).
Am I going to destroy my system?
What other alternatives are there?

Thanks a lot!

uncooked
01-26-2005, 05:28 PM
what receiver and dvd player do you own? Does the receiver have "6 channel input"

P.S DO NOT CONNECT IT HOW YOU SAID ABOVE, unless you want a smoke show.

bargainseeker
01-26-2005, 05:32 PM
What you need to do instead is to go into the menu of the DVD player and set the Dolby Digital output, the DTS output and the MPEG output all to "PCM". Then, connect the DVD player to the home theater system with a single coaxial cable.

anto68
01-26-2005, 05:51 PM
what receiver and dvd player do you own? Does the receiver have "6 channel input"

P.S DO NOT CONNECT IT HOW YOU SAID ABOVE, unless you want a smoke show.

the receiver/player is a Pioneer htd520, which has no Dolby digital input. I can only input "normal" stereo PCM.
And thanks for the no-smoke advice ;)

anto68
01-26-2005, 05:53 PM
What you need to do instead is to go into the menu of the DVD player and set the Dolby Digital output, the DTS output and the MPEG output all to "PCM". Then, connect the DVD player to the home theater system with a single coaxial cable.

OK, but this means that I will not get any surround, as the Pioneer manual states that I can only connect a coaxial from a PCM device such as a MD or CD player, that is regular two-channel audio...
Right?

bargainseeker
01-26-2005, 06:07 PM
OK, but this means that I will not get any surround, as the Pioneer manual states that I can only connect a coaxial from a PCM device such as a MD or CD player, that is regular two-channel audio...
Right?I'm not familiar with your specific receiver, but if it has a Dolby Pro Logic mode, you would still get output from all of the speakers. It is true that the output would not be full Dolby Digital, but it would be better than nothing. To do this, make sure that the DVD player digital output is set for two channels.

I believe that this is the best you can do with your current home theater system. Have you considered upgrading?

anto68
01-26-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm not familiar with your specific receiver, but if it has a Dolby Pro Logic mode, you would still get output from all of the speakers. It is true that the output would not be full Dolby Digital, but it would be better than nothing. To do this, make sure that the DVD player digital output is set for two channels.

I believe that this is the best you can do with your current home theater system. Have you considered upgrading?

Thanks for the advice. At this point, to apply the ProLogic mode, I might even use the DVD player downmix output into the system RCA input, right?
As for the upgrading, it is not an option at the moment:(

bargainseeker
01-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the advice. At this point, to apply the ProLogic mode, I might even use the DVD player downmix output into the system RCA input, right?Since I am not familiar with your specific system, I can't answer with certainty, but I believe that the answer is yes. From what you have said, I think you could use either a two channel digital PCM output or the two channel (left and right RCA) analog outputs from the DVD player to your receiver/player. Just make sure that the DVD player settings correspond to the way that it is connected.

anto68
01-27-2005, 07:53 AM
It looks like I'll have to give up the possibility to watch my PAL DVDs in DD...

But I still hope to get around the issue: does anybody know if there is a switch/selector that will accept the 5.1 analog input (the 6 cables that are supposed to go to the speakers) from the two separate sources and send it to my common speakers?

bargainseeker
01-27-2005, 08:03 AM
It looks like I'll have to give up the possibility to watch my PAL DVDs in DD...

But I still hope to get around the issue: does anybody know if there is a switch/selector that will accept the 5.1 analog input (the 6 cables that are supposed to go to the speakers) from the two separate sources and send it to my common speakers?Such a switch would not work. The 5.1 channel output from your DVD player is not strong enough to drive speakers. You would need a 5.1 channel amp or receiver between the DVD ouput and the speakers. And if you buy a new A/V receiver, then your problem would already be solved.

anto68
01-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Got it!
Thanks a lot!