TV repair question (I know, I know) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV repair question (I know, I know)

paul_pci
01-25-2005, 11:08 AM
My father has a 40 or 41 inch rear-projection Sony tv that has decided not to turn on. When you hit the power button, I hear this clicking sound in the righ rear of the set. My assumption is that it's now worth getting fixed, but his wife wishes to know how much something like that would cost to get fixed. So, what do you guys think, Woodman, especially.

Paul.

woodman
01-25-2005, 02:17 PM
There's one very important bit of info that was not given here ... and that's the age of the set. 2-4 years? 4-6 years? Older than 6?

On what do you base your comment ... "My assumption is that it's now worth getting fixed, but his wife wishes to know how much something like that would cost to get fixed." Paul?

It's impossible to say just how much the repair might cost - especially considering the brand. Sonys can be an absolute *****-on-wheels to repair ... been there - done that. The repair COULD be simple and not terribly expensive ($80-125) or, it could be very difficult and therefore (relatively) expensive ... like $200-300 or even more! The most critical aspect of the repair cost would be the skill and competency of the tech involved in diagnosing the problem. Considering the experience(s) that I've had with Sonys, and the degree of help available from Sony's tech support department (which is piss-poor to put it mildly), my gut feeling is to bail on this bad boy and replace it ... with something other than Sony.

Sorry I cannot be of any better help than this, Paul.

paul_pci
01-26-2005, 03:43 PM
There's one very important bit of info that was not given here ... and that's the age of the set. 2-4 years? 4-6 years? Older than 6?

On what do you base your comment ... "My assumption is that it's now worth getting fixed, but his wife wishes to know how much something like that would cost to get fixed." Paul?

It's impossible to say just how much the repair might cost - especially considering the brand. Sonys can be an absolute *****-on-wheels to repair ... been there - done that. The repair COULD be simple and not terribly expensive ($80-125) or, it could be very difficult and therefore (relatively) expensive ... like $200-300 or even more! The most critical aspect of the repair cost would be the skill and competency of the tech involved in diagnosing the problem. Considering the experience(s) that I've had with Sonys, and the degree of help available from Sony's tech support department (which is piss-poor to put it mildly), my gut feeling is to bail on this bad boy and replace it ... with something other than Sony.

Sorry I cannot be of any better help than this, Paul.

Yeah, totally forgot about the age: it was 10 years old. After calling some Sony service center and being told it could cost up to $600 to repair, they decided to ditch it. They picked up a Philips 46 in rear projection (non widescreen) tv at Costco. They didn't particularly shun Sony, it just happened to be the one my father's wife liked best. But I'll tell yah, trying to load that thing into my brother's truck was pure comedy. At any rate they're happy with the new tv.

Paul.

Kaiser Sosze
01-26-2005, 06:17 PM
My 50" HDTV ready Toshiba crapped out on me last year, its about 4 years old. It took 2 weeks ( which was torture) and $600 . I couldn't afford a new TV at the time so I had to have it fixed.