What a great day for music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What a great day for music

Jim Clark
01-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Finally got interested in some 2005 releases. Picked up Bright Eyes- Digital Ash in a Digital Urn which three tracks in sounds a lot like Postal Service, which to me is a pretty good deal. Also grabbed the ...trail of dead and hope there's at least something in there to like. I'll head out in a bit to look for the new Erasure which gets high marks from the folks at Electro Culture and will consider the new Chemical Brothers as well. Can't forget the M83 disc which also comes out today but I have an MP3 version and haven't really played it much, so I'm not sure if I'll get that today or wait for a used copy to show up.

Been a while since I've posted and it looks like I've got some catching up to do with PM's and such. I didn't mean to ignore anyone, I've just been very busy the last couple of weeks and haven't had the time to do much more than browse the board quickly. I'll get back to you today, especially Mike and Allears!

Hope you find something good out there today.

jc

MindGoneHaywire
01-25-2005, 09:21 AM
Good to see you around, Jim. I had a couple of things around here that struck me as stuff that might interest you...ever hear of Daedelus? Good chance, of course, that this has been mentioned on the board, but you know, it's sometimes difficult to remember every last name, plus I'll be (like most, I think) a bit lazy or remiss with names in genres I don't listen to much of. But while I didn't file this one in the electronica 'keeper' pile, myself, it sounded like something that might be up yr alley. Also I had a copy of an album called Melke by a female artist from Norway whose name is way too Scandanavian-complicated for me to remember...but that one was sealed so I didn't get a chance to give it a spin. But based on what I read it did sound worth investigating for someone into the genre.

I don't know that this is going to mean anything to you but I did find the Daedelus more interesting than the last M83. disc. Ah, and the one I wanted to open, but didn't, was a remix project called What Is Hip? I haven't yet heard a remix project that wasn't spotty--at best--but this one sure looked promising. Unfortunately, all the jazz ones that looked so promising have turned out to be mostly awful, but this is a variety of stuff from the 70s & looks very interesting for anyone so inclined.

Jim Clark
01-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Good to see you around, Jim. I had a couple of things around here that struck me as stuff that might interest you...ever hear of Daedelus? Good chance, of course, that this has been mentioned on the board, but you know, it's sometimes difficult to remember every last name, plus I'll be (like most, I think) a bit lazy or remiss with names in genres I don't listen to much of. But while I didn't file this one in the electronica 'keeper' pile, myself, it sounded like something that might be up yr alley. Also I had a copy of an album called Melke by a female artist from Norway whose name is way too Scandanavian-complicated for me to remember...but that one was sealed so I didn't get a chance to give it a spin. But based on what I read it did sound worth investigating for someone into the genre.

I don't know that this is going to mean anything to you but I did find the Daedelus more interesting than the last M83. disc. Ah, and the one I wanted to open, but didn't, was a remix project called What Is Hip? I haven't yet heard a remix project that wasn't spotty--at best--but this one sure looked promising. Unfortunately, all the jazz ones that looked so promising have turned out to be mostly awful, but this is a variety of stuff from the 70s & looks very interesting for anyone so inclined.

I've made a note and will take some time to listen to that Melke and especially the Daedleus since that is a name that's sounding familiar. Thanks. I did end up getting that Erasure record today, not that anyone other Dustychalk would likely care. First three tracks are vintage Erasure, track 4 seems kinda weak and haven't played the rest yet. I've had a construction crew working at my home for the past couple of weeks. They''re replacing all the masonite with a newer product call hardie board plank siding. Lots and lots of hammering going on, making listening a challenge. I've got to get back in the car to listen to the rest.

I saw in my email that Madina sent some pics of her snowboarding at Mammoth. As much as I hate the snow and cold, it does look kinda fun. Anyway, take care J.

jc

nobody
01-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Of Snowdonia, the 2004 release from Daedelus, was really good. It may be a bit meandering for Mr. Clark, but if he's curious, I get the impression, he may get a chance to hear it.

Invention, his first one, is really good too from the bits of it I've heard. I like the way he mixes in lots of dusty old instrumentation with electronic stuff. It makes for a really nice blend.

I'm curious about that What is Hip? compilation too, but wasn't curious enough to drop 20 bucks for it that the vinyl copy I came across was going for.