Trail of the Dead.. From 10 to 4.. ouch! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Trail of the Dead.. From 10 to 4.. ouch!

-Jar-
01-25-2005, 07:10 AM
how the mighty have fallen, at least to this guy at Pitchfork.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/a/and-you-will-know-us-by-the-trail-of-dead/worlds-apart.shtml

Hehe, I'll probably love this album, since I still don't get why SOURCE TAGS was held in such high esteem.. maybe an 8.5, but not a 10 by any means.

-jar

JRH
01-25-2005, 01:35 PM
I've had a promo for about a week now, and like it more with each listen. Absolutely NOT Source Tag's and Codes, although it's unmistakenly Trail of Dead. More vocal & detail orientated, and still very melodic. I just this time the detail is not hidden in walls or waves of sound. This might not be fair, but I'm thinking Trail of Dead meets Green Day meets Trail of Dead meets Yes. ****, I don't know! I think everybody that listens to it will come away with something else (including the pro critic's). Love it or hate it with little room for middle ground.

DLeeWebb
02-13-2005, 08:30 AM
I respectfully disagree. My only experience with "...Trail of Dead" is "Worlds Apart." I don't Love it or hate it. I'm indifferent to it. Which is perhaps the worse thing that I can say about an album. It has its moments, but they are brief and fleeting. Their sound, at least on this effort, is not distinctive. I plan to listen to it some more to see if it grows on me. Maybe I should check out "Source Tags and Codes." However, I don't feel highly motivated to spend more money on "...Trail of Dead" at the moment... :(

Troy
02-13-2005, 10:42 AM
My only experience with this band is "Worlds Apart" too. I like it quite a bit actually.

This is a PROG ROCK album. It's so arty-farty with all the found sound stuff, over the top dynamics and Rush rip-off rhythms. No wonder Pitchfork hates it. This just in, I hate Pitchfork. That site is so far removed from what I like in music, it's almost a joke.

I suspect that the proggers here that liked Grandaddy, Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev would really enjoy this CD.

Davey
02-13-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't Love it or hate it. I'm indifferent to it.
Hey Doug, cool to see you made it over here! Welcome and all that. I only have Source Tags so got nothing to say good or bad or indifferent about the new one, but I do like Source Tags a lot. Haven't listened to it in a long time, though.

David Kilgour in the player right now from last years great Frozen Orange. Love this guy.

DLeeWebb
02-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Hey Doug, cool to see you made it over here! Welcome and all that. I only have Source Tags so got nothing to say good or bad or indifferent about the new one, but I do like Source Tags a lot. Haven't listened to it in a long time, though.

David Kilgour in the player right now from last years great Frozen Orange. Love this guy.

Davey, thanks for the welcome and for the heads-up about this site. I have been exploring and it seems like my kind of place. I will continue to read your reviews and recommendations with great interest. As you have noticed over at Head-Fi, I have bought a good number of albums based on your comments and reviews and my life is filled with great music as a result. I am absolutely addicted to Autolux...what a great disc. I'll be around, thanks for everything! :D

Finch Platte
02-13-2005, 07:48 PM
...don't listen to Davey. He's got a weird talking dog, too.

fp

Finch Platte
02-13-2005, 07:56 PM
how the mighty have fallen, at least to this guy at Pitchfork.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/a/and-you-will-know-us-by-the-trail-of-dead/worlds-apart.shtml

Hehe, I'll probably love this album, since I still don't get why SOURCE TAGS was held in such high esteem.. maybe an 8.5, but not a 10 by any means.

-jar

I disagree with him a hunnert percent, and he's gotten too much insider info on the disc, and imho, that colors his opinion. Just listen to it, mannnnnn.

"Seconds into the title track that follows, Trail of Dead follow a sample of children yelling "YAY!" with Keely sniping, "HEY, F#CK YOU MAN"-- which, of course, makes the kids laugh. This easy switch-up-- kitschy but not considered, cunning but never heartfelt-- is the album's epitaph."

I got the impression this was pasted together- I don't believe he actually said that in front of the kids. You can hear the kids later in the song, too. I think he just stitched it together, and that in itself makes me laugh. Every time I hear that, the sheer cheekiness of it makes me laugh. His review makes me laugh in other ways, though. :rolleyes:

I enjoy most of the songs on this disc, but the title cut leaves me cold. It sounds different than the rest of the disc to me, and it's just not a very good tune. I sure enjoy the proggier side of this band. What did you think of the bonus Genesis track I put on your copy, Troy? I've never heard the original, but it sure sounds like Gabriel/Collins singing.

fp

Troy
02-13-2005, 10:08 PM
What did you think of the bonus Genesis track I put on your copy, Troy? I've never heard the original, but it sure sounds like Gabriel/Collins singing.

fp

I like it. Fun in a DIY, garage, "We love this song" sorta way.

Where is it from? It's not on the copy of the CD at the store. Neither is the Porpoise song which i like a lot too.

Finch Platte
02-14-2005, 02:49 AM
I like it. Fun in a DIY, garage, "We love this song" sorta way.

Where is it from? It's not on the copy of the CD at the store. Neither is the Porpoise song which i like a lot too.

I thought I had put the info on the note I enclosed- those two tunes (plus the song Worlds Apart) were on an advance EP I picked up. The Porpoise Song was written by Goffin/King, and I've heard it somewhere before... (after a brief Google, I guess the Monkees have covered it- maybe that's where I heard it :cool: ).

fp