Some cd's simply will not komp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Some cd's simply will not komp

Dave_G
12-19-2003, 08:33 AM
For the most part I am not into komping like a lot of you, but I dabble.

Some songs that I want to komp won't komp.

I tried to do a Styx komp, but lots of their songs seque intoi the next song without and balnk time so it screws up the komp.

Know what I mean?

Dave

Jim Clark
12-19-2003, 08:57 AM
I tried to do a Styx komp, but lots of their songs seque intoi the next song without and balnk time so it screws up the komp.

Know what I mean?

Dave

Yep. Depending on your level of determination it can be overcome with varying degrees of success. If you use a PC burner you can rip the track to the HD and then use an audio editor like Cool Edit or Goldwave to fade out. Viola', an ending.

jc

ForeverAutumn
12-19-2003, 09:02 AM
For the most part I am not into komping like a lot of you, but I dabble.

Some songs that I want to komp won't komp.

Know what I mean?

Dave

If your software allows editing, you can sometimes cover that up by fading out the song so that the track doesn't just stop, if you know what I mean.

I often have the opposite problem. The software that I use to burn tracks puts a 2 second pause in between tracks. There is no way to change the settings and get rid of the pause. So, when I have a song that I want to include that's recorded as two tracks that segue into each other, I get a two second pause breaking up the flow of the tracks.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

Jim Clark
12-19-2003, 09:23 AM
If your software allows editing, you can sometimes cover that up by fading out the song so that the track doesn't just stop, if you know what I mean.

I often have the opposite problem. The software that I use to burn tracks puts a 2 second pause in between tracks. There is no way to change the settings and get rid of the pause. So, when I have a song that I want to include that's recorded as two tracks that segue into each other, I get a two second pause breaking up the flow of the tracks.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

What software do you use that won't let you adjust the pause? Time to shop around, isn't it?

jc

tentoze
12-19-2003, 09:45 AM
What software do you use that won't let you adjust the pause? Time to shop around, isn't it?

jc

Even when I select "no pause between tracks" in Feurio, there always is on- every comp I've made since the 1st one has had the "no pause" option selected, including the year-ender that CLEARLY has those pesky pauses. Only thing I've found about Feurio that I don't like...........

Jim Clark
12-19-2003, 10:02 AM
Even when I select "no pause between tracks" in Feurio, there always is on- every comp I've made since the 1st one has had the "no pause" option selected, including the year-ender that CLEARLY has those pesky pauses. Only thing I've found about Feurio that I don't like...........

That sucks. I gave up on Feurio years ago even though it was highly recomended at the time. To many options to set up the program correctly and I didn't have any understanding of the issues.

I'm wondering though if Feurio is inserting a pause in your case or if the silence is included in the .wav file you have saved to the HD? Opening the track with a wave editor would be an easy way to find out. Setting the "no pause" option in Nero only means that it doesn't add a two second pause between tracks. If they are in the .wav file they will be recorded.

Just an idea, probably a bad one at that.

jc

-Jar-
12-19-2003, 10:08 AM

that's a deal-breaker for me.. Roxio doesn't always work right, but I gotta have the disc-at-once.. 2 seconds is too long to wait! :cool:

-jar

ForeverAutumn
12-19-2003, 10:30 AM

jc

Oh Jim, if you only knew the trials and tribulations that I have gone through trying to find decent software that does everything .

My burner came with a basic package called SpeedyCD. Great for burning but has no editing features and won't rip from Enhanced CDs. This is the software that puts in the 2 sec. pause.

So, I downloaded EAC so that I could rip from Enhanced discs, but I can't burn.

So, then I went out and spent $60 on Pyro. That seemed to have some good editing features and I thought would solve all of my problems. It is great for editing but sucks for burning. Every single disk must be tested before it will write. I have an old slow computer at home and this adds about 10 minutes to each disk that I burn.

So, my process has been.....
EAC to rip the WAV files.
Pyro to edit the songs and save the layout.
Speedy CD to burn (inserting 2 sec. pauses between each track).

I now have a laptop at work with a built in burner and some basic IBM software. This burns exactly as the original CD is. So, I can now burn one copy on Pyro (testing the disk first) and then use that as the source disk to burn additional copies on my laptop. This, finally, eliminates the 2 sec. pauses and I don't have to test every disk.

Next time...can I have some cheese with my whine, please? :D

Davey.
12-19-2003, 10:35 AM
I don't really understand because there are songs on your year-end comp with no pause between them. For example, tracks 7 and 8 which have no silence between them. Like Jim said, many CDs have silence built into the file at the close of each song and you either have to rip the song with the option set to remove the silence (if your software supports that option, such as with EAC) or use an editor to transition them the way you want. I generally do both on my comps, unless I'm in a big hurry in which case I'll probably forego editing the transitions and just rip with no silence. Of course, some endings and/or beginning that sound like silence aren't really digital zero so it won't remove them.

Jim Clark
12-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Oh Jim, if you only knew the trials and tribulations that I have gone through trying to find decent software that does everything .

Next time...can I have some cheese with my whine, please? :D

Aye Carumba! I recall you having some problems in the beginning but I thought you had everything all squared away by now. You should put your hooks into a computer geek. I'll bet a nerd could straighten everything out pretty quick. Better yet-tell that brother of yours to get off his can and fix things up or you'll tell your folks about the time he...

jc

ForeverAutumn
12-19-2003, 01:51 PM
You should put your hooks into a computer geek. I'll bet a nerd could straighten everything out pretty quick.

That would be my bud Hyfi. :D He tried to help me but wrote me off as being beyond saving.

Better yet-tell that brother of yours to get off his can and fix things up or you'll tell your folks about the time he...

You know, the problem with that brother of mine....he was the good child. ;)

tentoze
12-19-2003, 10:19 PM
I don't really understand because there are songs on your year-end comp with no pause between them. For example, tracks 7 and 8 which have no silence between them. Like Jim said, many CDs have silence built into the file at the close of each song and you either have to rip the song with the option set to remove the silence (if your software supports that option, such as with EAC) or use an editor to transition them the way you want. I generally do both on my comps, unless I'm in a big hurry in which case I'll probably forego editing the transitions and just rip with no silence. Of course, some endings and/or beginning that sound like silence aren't really digital zero so it won't remove them.

Davey,

Both you and Jim are probably correct, and I'm either too inept or too crazy (or both) to make it the way I WANT to hear it...............

NP: New to me from Unklebob- Mecury Rev, Desert Songs- me like um!

Troy
12-20-2003, 09:35 AM
Geezer- Start using a computer burner rather than that Phillps thing and the roxio software will allow you to create fade outs.

Tentoze- Check to see if your software allows "disc at once" recording. probably in the preferences someplace. This will allow there to be no gap between the tracks when the time is set to "0"

FA- Not familiar with they Furry-o slothware. But there just HAS TO be a way to change that time setting. Try clicking on the time itself or checking the prefs or some other place. If it won't allow you to change this (which I just can't believe), then move on to a real software like roxio.

Davey.
12-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Davey,

Both you and Jim are probably correct, and I'm either too inept or too crazy (or both) to make it the way I WANT to hear it...............

NP: New to me from Unklebob- Mecury Rev, Desert Songs- me like um!
Well, if you want some pointers anytime, just let me know. Or if you have a particular transition in mind that you like from that latest comp I can tell you exactly how I did it. My basic procedure is to rip the tracks with EAC while online so I can grab the song titles from CDDB, using the artist - song title for the file name, most of the time with the option set to remove silence. I then dump them all into my Roxio bucket and start sorting them out and playing sequences until I get the songs and sequence pretty well sorted out. Then I adjust the volume levels if required. And then as a final step I listen to the transitions and decide how much I want them to overlap and if I need to do any other adjustments. Then I go to GoldWave and do the edits. And then burn it with CD-TEXT. And then I can even grab the CD-TEXT for the tracklist using EAC and dump it into my Word file for the cover. No typing at all. And th-th-th-that's all folks :)

Deserter's Songs is nearly a classic. Hints of the Band and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down and times gone by. Beautiful album. A big Rave Recs fave from years past.

Mr MidFi
12-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Roxio also lets me do cross-fades, which can come in handy. However, it can also be buggier than Boca Raton when it wants to be, so caveat emptor.

This past weekend, I attempted the nearly impossible: a single-disc Best of Pink Floyd. Fade-ins, fade-outs, and cross-fades galore. But when I burned the disc, not all of them worked like they were supposed to. So I went back into the playlist file, started tweaking a few transition effects...and the application crashed. Tried it again, and crashed again. And again. After the fourth time, I gave up.

Oh well. They're an album band anyway.

Jim Clark
12-22-2003, 06:47 PM
And then I can even grab the CD-TEXT for the tracklist using EAC and dump it into my Word file for the cover. No typing at all.

Now that is going to be a useful tip! I've been trying to find a way to export that info from Nero and I can say that it's a no-go. I'm going to give that a shot right now.

OK Davey, if you're still around, EAC isn't guessing what the tracks are on the disc I just burned with CD text on it. What settings or adjustments to I need to make to get the track names to show up on EAC?

jc

Davey.
12-22-2003, 08:26 PM
OK Davey, if you're still around, EAC isn't guessing what the tracks are on the disc I just burned with CD text on it. What settings or adjustments to I need to make to get the track names to show up on EAC?
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/eac.gif

And on the same Database menu is the export CD info options. Cheerios :)

Jim Clark
12-23-2003, 05:42 AM
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/eac.gif

And on the same Database menu is the export CD info options. Cheerios :)

Thanks Davey. I think the problem boils down to my relatively new TDK 52x burner can write CD Text but may not be able to read it. I'm thinking that because the "CD-Text" option is greyed out in the dialog box on my set up and I haven't found a way to change it.

As always, thanks for trying.

Oh, update time. If you go into drive options there's a place to put a check if the drive can read CD text. Put the check in and now it works!

jc

BarryL
12-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Aye Carumba! Better yet-tell that brother of yours to get off his can and fix things up or you'll tell your folks about the time he...

jc

...wish you and your family all the best for the Christmas Season and have a terrific new year (and stay away from those Rave Rec voodoo loungers in New Orleans).

Little does FA know that I have a very workable version of Roxio that she could borrow, although I'm not sure it has all the editing capabilities she may be looking for. I just don't do any editing.

Keep well, JC.

P.S.: She's the one that has to worry about the time she...!

arc_light
12-26-2003, 03:07 PM
MidFi......If you use EAC to rip you'll have no problem with albums that have tracks that run into each other without gaps.(I refer to them as "live" albums) When you go to rip the original, go to ACTIONS/Copy image and create cuesheet. This makes an image of the disc just as it is, as one single WAV file and a matching table of contents for it. It first detects where the "missing" gaps reside, that is where the tracks begin and end so they can be accessed on the burned copy. If all you had was one long, single file you'd lose the capability to navigate track to track.
If you can't burn with EAC, Nero will do it. In EAC you just load the cue. file; in Nero I seem to recall you need to drag and drop both the image and the cuesheet to make it happy.
I'm not much of a comp guy, but I think you can treat each of the tracks in your image like you would anything other track. OTOH, if you mess with the image and/or it's cuesheet you'll be SOL without going in and re-editing the two to suit each other.
I never use anything other than EAC for ripping with exception of the odd time it burps detecting gaps.
I stubbornly cling to using an ancient version. I understand some later versions are capable of eliminating some of the issues I come up against once and awhile.
Hope this is of some help.