Paradigm Vs SVS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Vs SVS

Climbo
01-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Hello There,

I am looking to get myself a sub.. and was looking at the Paradigm (pw2200).

While looking in forums, I saw a few thumbs up regarding the SVS PC...

I Can surely have a good Idea on the paradigm in a showroom but as for the SVS..... :confused:

this new sub will be mostly used for movies but I would like a good performance for audio CD as well.

giving that those 2 subs would be the same price for me (shipping included)... any suggestions?

Thanks !

bargainseeker
01-24-2005, 12:13 PM

I Can surely have a good Idea on the paradigm in a showroom but as for the SVS..... :confused:

this new sub will be mostly used for movies but I would like a good performance for audio CD as well.

giving that those 2 subs would be the same price for me (shipping included)... any suggestions?Which specific SVS (http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subwoofers.htm) sub are you looking at?

Climbo
01-24-2005, 12:48 PM
I was looking at the SVS25-31 PC-Plus...

but if you can comment on the other 2 pc... : 20-39 and 16-46...

pc-ultra is getting a little out of budget.. :)

bargainseeker
01-24-2005, 07:18 PM
As far as I know, the most scientific comparison between the Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer and an SVS subwoofer is this one done by Tom Nousaine (http://www.svsubwoofers.com/news_subcompare.htm). The single 20-39cs subwoofer tested would be equivalent to the current 20-39PCi without its built-in amp. The 12" Plus driver used in the 20-39PC+ is capable of louder and cleaner output than the 12" ISD driver used in the 20-39cs that was tested by Tom Nousaine. As the graphs show, even a SVS subwoofer based on the ISD driver is somewhat superior to the Paradigm PW-2200 in terms of clean bass output.

Within the SVS PC+ series, the 25-31PC+ is capable of the loudest maximum sound pressure level at the expense of the lowest bass. In contrast, the 16-46PC+ trades off maximum output to produce the lowest possible bass. The 20-39PC+ provides a middle choice in both maximum output and bass extension. If you want information on which one would work best for your needs, I strongly recommend contacting SVS by email or phone. I think you will find that they are a real pleasure to deal with.

cam
01-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Both the SVS and the Pw-2200 have imressive numbers but were the tests done with the pw-2200 v1 with a class AB amp rated at 250 watt rms 750 peak where its power efficiency is somewhere around 60% actually going towards the power and the rest wasted on heat, or was it the v2 model which is a class D 400 watt rms 1500 peak with somewhere around 95% effeciency. If the comparo with the SVS was done with the pw-2200 v1, then maybe, actually for sure, the numbers may even be closer with the pw-2200 v2 maybe even coming out ahead. But maybe these tests were done with the v2 and not the v1. Either way they are both kick ass subs.

46minaudio
01-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Hello There,

giving that those 2 subs would be the same price for me (shipping included)... any suggestions?

Thanks !
Here is an idea of how these subs preform..Like Cam said I dont know what has been updated..Either way you will have a good preforming sub...
http://members.cox.net/fabulousfrankie/Nousaine.htm