Subwoofer Cable (RCA) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Cable (RCA)

Olivertmc
01-24-2005, 07:42 AM
Hi all:

I recently purchased a new subwoofer and am experimenting with positioning it in different areas of my room. However, I am limited by the length of my present subwoofer cable. Will I experience a significant reduction in sound quality if I use an RCA coupler and merely connect a new cable to the existing one, or should I purchase a new longer cable? I believe that any effect on the sound will be minimal, but I know I've seen it mentioned that lengthening a cable through the use of couplers is not recommended. Thanks!

- Olivertmc

kexodusc
01-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Hmmm, seems to me you should try this, and judge for yourself. It might save you money, or it might not. I've had terrible results with my studio headphones using couplers, but they might be crappy couplers, so it's not really a good example in your case. If it doesn't work, at least you tried, you'd have to buy the new cable anyway...
FWIW, you can buy good quality Acoustic Research cables (and many other brands) on ebay or online for a fraction of the cost of retail...Don't need a fancy "subwoofer" cable either...regular interconnects are fine. Hopefully this undertaking is kind to your bank account so you can spend that cash on media to enjoy, not cables. Good luck.

E-Stat
01-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Will I experience a significant reduction in sound quality if I use an RCA coupler and merely connect a new cable to the existing one
While some here would consider me a wire nut, I use an RCA female to female adaptor with two interconnets to effectively lengthen the run to the sub on my HT system. I've not detected any benefits of using better cables solely with the bottom two or three octaves.

rw

magictooth
01-24-2005, 02:27 PM
While some here would consider me a wire nut, I use an RCA female to female adaptor with two interconnets to effectively lengthen the run to the sub on my HT system. I've not detected any benefits of using better cables solely with the bottom two or three octaves.

rw
LOL, I'm shocked we agree on this subject.... I use exactly the same system in my HT room. When we moved, I needed a longer cable, but I didn't want to shell out the $$ for a new one.

E-Stat
01-24-2005, 03:50 PM
LOL, I'm shocked we agree on this subject.... I use exactly the same system in my HT room. When we moved, I needed a longer cable, but I didn't want to shell out the $$ for a new one.
Speaking of HT, how do you evaluate video performance since presumably you don't do so blind?

rw

magictooth
01-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Speaking of HT, how do you evaluate video performance since presumably you don't do so blind?

rw
Well, I think that you are misinterpreting "blind" In one definition "blind" would mean unable to see (eg a blind man); in another definition, "blind" would mean that you are unaware of xxx (eg a blind test means that you are unaware of what is being tested at that moment).

For video testing, several of the local shops have multiple viewing rooms. I was able to see different projectors playing the same material without knowing what projector was actually being shown. Luckily for me, I don't see rainbows. I chose a DLP PJ because I couldn't see any of the pixels whereas with LCD I could. Obviously things have changed drrastically in the last 3 years and I think that it may be time to go do another blind test of projectors.

While they aren't everything, it is a bit easier to go by spec on video projectors. A PJ with 800x600 resolution will show pixelation and a lack of detail compared to one that shows 1280x720. Contrast is another thing to pay attention to, but I personally found that after 1000:1, the difference is so subtle as to be practically unnoticeable - especially in a partially lighted room. The list of specs goes on and on, and it's not really the right place to get into given that this is the cables forum.

E-Stat
01-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Contrast is another thing to pay attention to, but I personally found that after 1000:1, the difference is so subtle as to be practically unnoticeable - especially in a partially lighted room. The list of specs goes on and on, and it's not really the right place to get into given that this is the cables forum.
I see. It is all about numbers. No surprise.

rw

magictooth
01-24-2005, 07:36 PM
I see. It is all about numbers. No surprise.

rw
Now pay attention to the bold caps. You need to read a bit more carefully.

While they aren't everything, it is a bit easier to go by spec on video projectors