Can JBL L100A go below 28Hz ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can JBL L100A go below 28Hz ?

console
01-24-2005, 05:52 AM
I have a fine pair of JBL L100A. I have red on the net that the A version can go below 28Hz without major drop. Does any body know or have experience with the JBL L100A and how low can it go ?

Any comments from owners or just people who knows are very appreciated.

Woochifer
01-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Doubtful it can be done under anecholic conditions. The interior volume on the L100 is not especially large (it's more of a big bookshelf speaker than a floorstander), so if the port is tuned anywhere near 28 Hz, I would guess that it will have a large inaccuracies elsewhere. Might be able to obtain a 28 Hz SPL measurement if it's taken in-room, and that of course will depend on the room dimensions, the acoustical conditions, and the placement of the speaker.

I grew up with a JBL L65, which used a similar 12" woofer to the one used in the L100, and mounted it inside a larger floorstanding enclosure. The L65 in my listenings did not come close to 28 Hz.

Since you already own a pair of the L100As, then it's easy for you to do your own measurement. Just grab a Radio Shack SPL meter, and either buy a test disc or download some test tones. Measure the frequency response (and look up the adjustment charts for the Radio Shack SPL meter, since its mic sensitivity tails off below 100 Hz), and see for yourself how low your speaker goes.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-24-2005, 04:43 PM
In my much younger days in the recording studio, I had the studio version of the L100. The speaker by todays standards are highly colored in the mids(great for listening to editing errors) very fat bass down to 40hz, with pretty steep roll off below that.

JBL claims this speaker can reproduce a perfect 35hz sinewave, but it doesn't state the amplitude, or the room the measurement was derived in.

console
01-25-2005, 02:42 AM
In my much younger days in the recording studio, I had the studio version of the L100. The speaker by todays standards are highly colored in the mids(great for listening to editing errors) very fat bass down to 40hz, with pretty steep roll off below that.

JBL claims this speaker can reproduce a perfect 35hz sinewave, but it doesn't state the amplitude, or the room the measurement was derived in.

Thanks Terrence, the 35Hz sinwave info was the kinda stuff I was looking for !

I think there is a big difference between scientific correct sound and sound with soul. Most of my favorite records were propably mixed with the L100 studio monitor version, and I think they should be listend at as intended.

A good example is a "best of" CD, there is a big difference how the different tracks sounds, since they were made - perhaps in different studios - and with different setups, equipment, and studio mixer. So what is white and what is black ? I think use the speakers which sounds best on your favorite tracks and perform satisfactualy on all records. I find that the L100 is a good allround "representative" for the original intended sound on my CD collection. Most people with a normal ear and a good rock listener can hear when it sounds right - for example at conserts. Thats why they place a mixer in front of the band to mix the consert - to make it sound right - so you hear what the mixer thinks sounds right.