What's yer favorite "metal" band? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's yer favorite "metal" band?

Dave_G
12-19-2003, 07:12 AM
I know all of ya'll like at least a little metal. ;)

So fess up, what do you like in this genre? :cool:

I like JUDAS PRIEST. :eek:

They used to kick ass before Rob Halford decided to pack the Hershey Highway and leave the Priest. :rolleyes:

Albums like "Staned Class" , "British Steel", "Turbo", and "Unleashed in the East" are killer metal titles. :)

I even have their killer boxed set with all the remasters. :eek:

Long live Metal! :cool:

Long live the Priest! :cool:

Dave

ForeverAutumn
12-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Oh, so many to choose from....

Obviously....Rush.

This past year I've been listening to a lot of Dream Theater.

I still enjoy a Black Sabbath disk every now and then.

AC/DC is high up on my metal listening list.

I still have fun listening to the 80's hair bands, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Poison.

Newer bands would include Three Days Grace, Nickelback, A Perfect Circle, Queens of the Stone Age, Audioslave.

My brain is half asleep today so I'm drawing a blank right now but, I know that if I went out to my car and looked at the stack of CDs in the map pockets, I could come up with at least a half dozen more.

Hey Dave, have you seen the Judas Priest Live in London DVD? We borrowed it from my brother-in-law and it RAWKS! Check it out if you haven't already.

Jim Clark
12-19-2003, 07:36 AM
I know all of ya'll like at least a little metal. ;)

So fess up, what do you like in this genre?
Dave

I dunno, maybe it's must me but metal and all those smilies just seem to clash. Just giving you the business.

Don't like much metal at all. Some AC/DC every several years seems OK by me. I used to listen a whole lot more but that was over 20 years ago. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, would probably be my favorite from them although I no longer have too much on hand. I think I parted with my AC/DC lps years ago and I'm not even sure if I have that album in any format at this point. I know I have some crappy live CD, probably the worst live CD I've ever heard but it has a few good tracks.

The Gathering is listed as a metal band at AMG and I really like the 2003 album Souvenirs but I'm not sure how that's really metal.

I hope you get some more enthusiastic responses!

jc

-Jar-
12-19-2003, 07:43 AM
Metal is weird. There are LOTS of classic metal albums, but few "metal" bands were able to remain consistent. my list is pretty predictable..

I was a huge Iron Maiden fan up till about 1988. Then they totally lost it, in my opinion.. But the first 4 Bruce Dickenson albums.. NUMBER OF THE BEAST, PIECE OF MIND, POWERSLAVE and SOMEWHERE IN TIME are just.. classics that I never tire of.

2nd would be Priest.. favorite album? Hard to say, I think they were prone to "filler" tracks quite often. Track for track, probably their strongest albums are BRITISH STEEL and SCREAMING FOR VENGENCE, though there are amazing, classic tunes on their other albums.. "Beyond the Realms of Death," "Desert Plains," "Victim of Changes" are just classics, even back to ROCKA ROLLA.. there's some great music to be found. They just had a hard time putting out consistent albums.

3rd would be Black Sabbath. Though depending on my frame of mind they could be #1 just as well. The first 5 Ozzy albums are just.. well pretty amazing.

4th. Slayer.

5th. Metallica.

rounding out the top 10...

6. Scorpions
7. Ozzy (Randy Years)
8. Motorhead
9. Tie: Megadeth/Anthrax (neither band was extremely consistent, but when they were on, watch out)
10. Tie: Kyuss/Acid Bath (two bands that weren't really metal, but were better than just about any metal band you could think of.)

Finch Platte
12-19-2003, 07:44 AM
Long live the Priest! :cool:

Dave

You really need to get out more.

Here's my list- some may quarrel that a lot of it is borderline, but after seeing FA's list, I have no qualms (no smilie inserted here, just for you, Jimcee).

System of a Down
Bad Brains
Prong
Suicidal Tendancies
Tool
King Diamond
Tomahawk
Korn

That's all I can think of- until I check my septic tank for some I may have missed.

fp

nobody
12-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Never really been a huge metal fan, but there are a few bands that I've liked over the years...

Sabbath
Motorhead
AC/DC
Soundgarden always sounded metal to me
If Alice in Chains count, they kick ass for the album Dirt alone
Judas Priest
Are Guns and Roses metal?
What about Kiss?
Are the Melvins metal?

If Bad Brains and Suicidal Tendencies are metal, then they're on my list. That would open the door for folks like COC the Cro-Mags and that sort of thing as well. Anthrax was really good live, but I never listened to any of their records. Remember DRI anyone? SOD?

JSE
12-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Pantera
-----------
Tool
-----------
System of a Down
-----------
Slayer
-----------
Anthrax
-----------
Dream Theater

To name a few. Pantera would probably be my favorite. When I was in college, I saw them all the time in Dallas at the Basement. Good memories and diminished hearing!

JSE

dld
12-19-2003, 10:50 AM
1. GFR
2. AC/DC
3. Sabbath man
4. MC5

DarrenH
12-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Black Sabbath. The king of metal bands imo. The Ozzy years are the best although Heaven and Hell is pretty darn good. Dio sure can belt out those lyrics.
Symphony X
Adagio
Tad Morose
Judas Priest is cool. I really like Point Of Entry
Dead Soul Tribe. Great band!
Dream Theater
Rainbow
Ronnie James Dio
Montrose. Just a killer band. Smokin'.

Ten years ago Metallica was king with me but I can't stomach them anymore. I heard this band over and over and over again, went to four concerts, watched the concert videos numerous times, subscribed to the MetClub fan site and so on and so on. I'm burnt out on Metallica yet I still bought the DCC gold titles. Go figure.

AC/DC rawks. The Bon Scott era is the best.

I do like to head bang every now and then.

Darren

Dave_G
12-19-2003, 11:51 AM
I too like AC/DC a lot, but ONLY with Bon on lead vocal.

Back in Black is a must have, but I'm tired of it.

The real old AC/DC's that have been remastered are real good. Almost blusey based rock.

One of the worst concert videos I have ever seen is a newer AC/DC gig with Brian on lead vocal.

He sounded like a rodent who was getting his balls squeezed for lead vocals. Pure crapola.

I'd like to get that old school Bonfire boxed set.

Dave

jasn
12-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Some of my favorites that have so far gone unmentioned:

Kings X
Budgie
Fu Manchu
Alice Cooper
Blue Oyster Cult
Thin Lizzy

Davey.
12-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Wow, all I gotta say is that some of you guys/gals have a lot different definition of metal than me :)

Yeah, I know, where's my list. Hehehe ......

Dusty Chalk
12-19-2003, 10:32 PM
Priest.

Scorps.

Sabbath.

Metallica (old skool), Coroner,

I really need to get into some Maiden. Every time one of these lists comes out, the people whose tastes most coincide with mine always have Maiden on their lists.

Current: Opeth, Devin Townshend, The Crown, Rob Zombie, Soilwork, In Flames, Children of Bodom, (I'm trying to think -- the other ear-candy metal types), Naglfar, Ephel Duath, Shape of Despair, Garden of Shadows...