Onkyo TX-NR801 or Yamaha RX-V1500, what would you get? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo TX-NR801 or Yamaha RX-V1500, what would you get?

Kaiser Sosze
01-23-2005, 08:01 PM
Hello

I'm very soon going to upgrade my receiver ( OnkyoTX-DS474) .I'm trying to do as much of my own research as possible, sales peeps want to sell me what they want to get rid of , and I don't trust them. I just learned form this forum that their is no real 7.1 or THX is nothing special. So their are areas that I am ignorant about, I'm looking for something for less than $800 for a room about 22ftx18ft. This is what I have come up with:

Onkyo TX-NR801 vs Yamaha RX-V1500

I don't know if its a matter of flipping a coin or if their a real difference ( aside the MP3 and YPAO).
Also considering, since I might be wasting money for nothing for my needs

Onkyo TX-SR702 vs Yamaha HTR 5790 or RX-V1400

Does anybody have any info or expirienced I should know before making a purchase?
Thanks
KS

paul_pci
01-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Of course, I'd go witht he Yamaha, but that's mostly because I'm biased. Given that amny receivers such as Onkyo and Yamaha are quite similar within the same price class, it really comes down to which receiver comes with the features you desire most, including the remote. I love my remote-it's both learning and macro. I have 3 different components programmed in it and I can turn the receiver, tv on and select the cab/sat input all with the touch of one button. So, consider the little things like that.

kexodusc
01-24-2005, 04:55 AM
The YPAO feature is one that can significantly impact the sound quality of a home theater system, not to mention make calibration and setup a whole lot easier...You can give Yamaha the slight edge in the reliability department as well, but Onkyo makes good stuff, not sure this is really a significant factor for determining which route.
Other than that these two receivers are fairly close, and I'm sure you'd be happy with either...

Have you listened to either of these?

FWIW, I'd probably go with the cheaper of the 5790, 1400 and 1500....The first 2 are functionally identical, and the 1500 features no real substantial upgrades...make your money work for you here, don't pay for the high number. Same goes for the Onkyo..

Get out there and start listening to these things, that's half the fun, and the ONLY way you'll be sure you got what you really wanted.

Worf101
01-24-2005, 07:08 AM
I personally would go with the Onkyo because, quite simply that's what I know. I have both the 898 and 797 and love them both. Rock solid and bullet proof. Yamaha's YPAO is a significant break through for noobs and folks who've never calibarted a system before but since you've 474 I know you know how to do that. If you like Onkyo I'd stay with Onkyo.

Da Worfster :cool:

PS, nice handle, one of my fave villains of all times.

bargainseeker
01-24-2005, 07:22 AM
I'm very soon going to upgrade my receiver ( OnkyoTX-DS474) .I'm trying to do as much of my own research as possible, sales peeps want to sell me what they want to get rid of , and I don't trust them. I just learned form this forum that their is no real 7.1 or THX is nothing special. So their are areas that I am ignorant about, I'm looking for something for less than $800 for a room about 22ftx18ft. This is what I have come up with:

Onkyo TX-NR801 vs Yamaha RX-V1500

I don't know if its a matter of flipping a coin or if their a real difference ( aside the MP3 and YPAO).
Also considering, since I might be wasting money for nothing for my needs

Onkyo TX-SR702 vs Yamaha HTR 5790 or RX-V1400

Does anybody have any info or expirienced I should know before making a purchase?
Thanks
KSOf the receivers you mention, I would go with the Onkyo TX-SR702 (http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR702&class=Receiver&p=i) on a "bang for the buck" basis. Unlike the TX-NR801, the TX-SR702 offers Onkyo's version of Yamaha's YPAO feature. To me, this feature is more useful than the Net-Tune feature offered on the TX-NR801. As to price, for whatever reason it is much easier to find Onkyo receivers selling at deep discounts to MSRP from authorized dealers than it is to find such deals on Yamaha receivers. For example, brand new TX-SR702 receivers are currently being offered by J&R for $579 (http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4003208) (add to basket to see the price), which is an authorized Onkyo internet dealer (http://www.onkyousa.com/locations_intdealer.cfm).

Kaiser Sosze
01-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the input, it helped. I'm going with the Onkyo SR702 for $505. For the price and what I need, I think it right for me. I really don't need the NR801 at this point

Thanks again

KS

bargainseeker
01-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input, it helped. I'm going with the Onkyo SR702 for $505. For the price and what I need, I think it right for me. I really don't need the NR801 at this pointYou're welcome. It sounds like you found an especially good price. Which dealer has it for $505?

Kaiser Sosze
01-24-2005, 07:15 PM
You're welcome. It sounds like you found an especially good price. Which dealer has it for $505?

Its called 6th ave Electronics, I think its a High-end chain. Da Worfster said he was familiar with them as well.6th Ave Electronics (http://www.6ave.com/main.jsp)

bargainseeker
01-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Its called 6th ave Electronics, I think its a High-end chain. Da Worfster said he was familiar with them as well.6th Ave Electronics (http://www.6ave.com/main.jsp)I hope your purchase goes well. 6th Avenue would not have been my first choice of dealer due to the kinds of problems that have been reported by some people at reseller ratings (http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2853-p1-s1-d1.html) and other sites. Nevertheless, they seem to have more satisfied customers than dissatisfied ones and they are an authorized Onkyo dealer.

Worf101
01-25-2005, 07:27 AM
They're quite litterally NOT the same folks I used to deal with. Their customer service seems to have slipped noticably. Perhaps it might be wiser to spend a little more someplace else.

Da Worfster :eek: