Is it a general rule to stuff the wall with insulation w/ inwalls? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is it a general rule to stuff the wall with insulation w/ inwalls?

pdawg17
01-22-2005, 09:17 PM
I have some inwalls (Paradigm) for the kitchen and want them to sound as good as possible...is it a general rule to stuff the wall with insulation to minimize the "boom" effect or does it depend on the specific speaker? Also, is it bad to put some directly behind the speaker or it doesn't matter?

bargainseeker
01-23-2005, 06:17 AM
I have some inwalls (Paradigm) for the kitchen and want them to sound as good as possible...is it a general rule to stuff the wall with insulation to minimize the "boom" effect or does it depend on the specific speaker? Also, is it bad to put some directly behind the speaker or it doesn't matter?I always put insulation in the cavity above and below where an in-wall speaker is installed. I also put a single layer of insulation behind the speaker. The main purpose of the insulation is to keep mid and high frequency reflections from the back of the speaker from entering the room. The insulation also acts to enlarge the apparent volume of the space. Do not pack the insulation tightly, however. It works best when "fluffy".

pdawg17
01-24-2005, 09:08 AM
When you say "fluffy", do you stack it in sheets or layers in the wall or just kind of ball it up and put it in the wall? Does it matter other than not packing tightly?