Sub Hook Up [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub Hook Up

Over50
12-19-2003, 05:56 AM
Can you run a single cable from receiver to sub or do you have to use a y cable going into the sub

F1
12-19-2003, 06:17 AM
Assuming you connect from LFE channel from your receiver. If your sub has a dedicated LFE input then you don't need Y cable. If your sub has L&R RCA input and no dedicated LFE input, you still can use either L or R channel. If you use Y cable, the sub output will be more. In addition, my sub manual says that using Y cable can prevent the sub from going to 'sleep' too soon. So I think better use it.

Over50
12-19-2003, 06:29 AM
I thought so, my old sub was like that and I wanted to make sure I gave the right information to this guy at work. Happy Holidays to ya

joel2762
12-19-2003, 11:38 AM
I was wondering the same thing, so it is better to use a Y cable eh? One question, why do the subs have the L&R inputs anyway? What device outputs an L&R sub channel?? If you had this device would you maybe consider using a sperate sub for the L/R or just not bother.

markw
12-19-2003, 11:42 AM
One question, why do the subs have the L&R inputs anyway?

It was designed so those with 2 channel STEREO systems could use it as well, generally between their preamp and power amps.

It's easier to split a single channel into two oututs than it is to combine two channels into one input.

There ARE some subs out there with only one input, which would be fine for your HT's LFE output, but totally useless to a 2 channel STEREO owner.

Willow
12-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Hello!

It's also my understanding that you'll get a 3db increase using the y.

Pete

I have mine set up with the Y to bypass the filter on the sub and I didnt notice an increase at all at least not in CSII mode or PLII have not tried it with DD or DTS yet...that will be tonight

piece-it pete
12-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Hello!

It's also my understanding that you'll get a 3db increase using the y.

Pete