DVI versus Component Video [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVI versus Component Video

smreed32
01-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi again,

I meant to ask this in my last post, but forgot. My Samsung DLP TV has a DVI input on it, but I am currently using very nice Audioquest YIQ-3 component video cables instead of the DVI. I know that by going with DVI there is no digital to analog and back to digital conversion, but I would like some feedback regarding whether or not I really would get any better quality video by going to DVI over the high-end component cables. I would be running the DVI from my cable box to my TV, as my current DVD player does not have a DVI port.

Thanks...

bargainseeker
01-23-2005, 06:34 AM
My Samsung DLP TV has a DVI input on it, but I am currently using very nice Audioquest YIQ-3 component video cables instead of the DVI. I know that by going with DVI there is no digital to analog and back to digital conversion, but I would like some feedback regarding whether or not I really would get any better quality video by going to DVI over the high-end component cables. I would be running the DVI from my cable box to my TV, as my current DVD player does not have a DVI port.I noticed a big difference when connecting our plasma HDTV via DVI rather than component video. However, I expect that the difference will vary depending on the TV. My suggestion would be to try out a modestly priced DVI cable like this one (http://www.hififorless.com/showProduct.php?productid=70838) and see for yourself.

smreed32
01-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the reply...I will try out a DVI cable to see if there is any improvement. I have another couple of quick questions. I don't know if you saw my other post, but I am also looking at new DVD players. I have an older (4-5 yrs) Sony DVP-NS700P, but I have been considering getting an new Denon 3910 or a Arcam DV27. However, I don't want to spend the money if my actual results will be negligible in terms of audio and video improvements. Do you have any thoughts on the improvements that I may or may not get from upgrading from the Sony to a better unit.

Also, I currently have a standard, simple Panamax power strip which protects my gear, but have been considering going to one of their rack mountable $800-$1000 units (ouch!) that provided balanced power, line conditioning, blah, blah..., but again, I don't just want to stupidly throw money at something that wont really give me any better fidelity. The sales manager at the Magnolia says that I may experience some improvement, but can't really say much. Again, do you have any thoughts on this...as I am in search of the best sound and video I can afford

AVMASTER
01-23-2005, 01:48 PM
your current Sony is fine, unless your Samsung has two DVI inputs then you might want to consider an up-conversion dvd player..
If in fact your Panamax is a "power strip" then you definitely want to step up to a surge protector with line conditioning and EMI/RFI filtering. You may or may not gain any better fidelity but the better protection will warrant a modest upgrade

jamison162
01-24-2005, 11:19 AM
I haven't tried the DVI out yet, but I too have the same situation. Local cable w/set top box using component cables. Been wondering about DVI. The way I see it though, is both cables are carrying a 1080i signal to your television...and the end result is an analog picture. The questions is - do the internal conversions (analog to digital back to analog, if all that really happens) result in any signal loss or picture degradation. Trial and error.
Report your results, we're all curious I believe.

mattldm
01-24-2005, 02:09 PM
I have a similar question/situation. I have a Toshiba 34HFX84 HDTV that has HDMI connections on it. I know that this CRT display is analog, so if I use the HDMI input for DVD's the TV will have to convert the Digital information to analog before it is displayed.
So the question is, how good is the DAC and video processor in the TV? Is it better than what would be in a good DVD player? (Denon 1910, or Sony DVP-NS975)

Also, does anyone know if you can bypass the internal video processing on Toshiba TV's? If you use the HDMI connection does it bypass the internal processor? If I buy a high end DVD player I wouldnt want the image to be reprocessed by the TV before it is displayed.

Any help would be appreciated!
thanks
Matt

mjon99
01-25-2005, 06:41 AM
I have a sony crt rear projection. does this mean that it's not a true digital picture according to what mattldm said? Although, it still looks pretty darn good to me. I'm very happy with it.

mattldm
01-25-2005, 07:57 AM
Thats right, CRT is analog. Everything you see on a CRT based set, either projector, rear projection, or direct view is analog.

So thats what my question is all about, if you connect a CRT with DVI or HDMI, is there any real advantage? The TV still has to process the Video and perform the digital to analog conversion. So it could stand to reason that a high quality DVD player with expensive DAC's would produce a better picture on a CRT than a DVD player with upconversion and digital video out. I Think???

hmmmm
01-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Hi again,

I meant to ask this in my last post, but forgot. My Samsung DLP TV has a DVI input on it, but I am currently using very nice Audioquest YIQ-3 component video cables instead of the DVI. I know that by going with DVI there is no digital to analog and back to digital conversion, but I would like some feedback regarding whether or not I really would get any better quality video by going to DVI over the high-end component cables. I would be running the DVI from my cable box to my TV, as my current DVD player does not have a DVI port.

Thanks...

I have a Samsung 56 inch DLP and it's hooked up with component cables about 16 feet long. I've wondered about DVI but I think it would cost a fortune for one that long (I'll admit I haven't looked around too much though). S & V magazine said that they saw a marked improvement on the Samsung 50 inch DLP after switching to DVI over component but I've heard others say that's bull. Let me know what you find out.

brimann
01-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Forget the Denon 3910, and go for the Denon 2910 instead...it is half the price and uses the same video board and Faroudja processor as the 3910. I upgraded from the Sony DVP-NS900V dvd player, and the difference is very significant. The Denon is sharper, with better colors and virtually no artifacts. This player upconverts to 720p and 1080i using a dvi or hdmi cable. The SACD and DVD Audio quality is equally as good. At approx. $600 this player is an exceptional bargain...go get it and you will not be sorry.

Thanks for the reply...I will try out a DVI cable to see if there is any improvement. I have another couple of quick questions. I don't know if you saw my other post, but I am also looking at new DVD players. I have an older (4-5 yrs) Sony DVP-NS700P, but I have been considering getting an new Denon 3910 or a Arcam DV27. However, I don't want to spend the money if my actual results will be negligible in terms of audio and video improvements. Do you have any thoughts on the improvements that I may or may not get from upgrading from the Sony to a better unit.

Also, I currently have a standard, simple Panamax power strip which protects my gear, but have been considering going to one of their rack mountable $800-$1000 units (ouch!) that provided balanced power, line conditioning, blah, blah..., but again, I don't just want to stupidly throw money at something that wont really give me any better fidelity. The sales manager at the Magnolia says that I may experience some improvement, but can't really say much. Again, do you have any thoughts on this...as I am in search of the best sound and video I can afford

smreed32
01-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Forget the Denon 3910, and go for the Denon 2910 instead...it is half the price and uses the same video board and Faroudja processor as the 3910. I upgraded from the Sony DVP-NS900V dvd player, and the difference is very significant. The Denon is sharper, with better colors and virtually no artifacts. This player upconverts to 720p and 1080i using a dvi or hdmi cable. The SACD and DVD Audio quality is equally as good. At approx. $600 this player is an exceptional bargain...go get it and you will not be sorry.

Thanks for the feedback on the DVD player. I think I may check out the Denon 2910. I did find a 2900, on sale for 500 bucks, but do not know how different it is from the 2910. Still havent tried the DVI cable, as I have really nice component cables (Audioquest YIQ-3) and the sales guy at the store thinks that I would not be any better off. Need to try, but havent gotten around to it.