Musical Speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Musical Speaker

axelsrd
01-22-2005, 03:23 PM
I am setting up a 2 channel system. I have the following:

Pioneer SX-950 Reciever
Pioneer PL-72 Turntable

I am now looking for a bookshelf speaker that is musical for around $200. What say you?

bargainseeker
01-22-2005, 03:55 PM

Pioneer SX-950 Reciever
Pioneer PL-72 Turntable

I am now looking for a bookshelf speaker that is musical for around $200. What say you?I you looking for $200 each or $200 per pair?

axelsrd
01-22-2005, 03:59 PM
I you looking for $200 each or $200 per pair?

$200 for the pair...maybe $300, but thats it.

bargainseeker
01-22-2005, 04:06 PM
$200 for the pair...maybe $300, but thats it.You may find my post here (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=66797&postcount=7) helpful. Now that the Onix Rocket ELT speakers in cherry (http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=32.1) are on sale for half price, they are even cheaper than the Rocket ELT factory seconds. You could get a pair of the cherry Rocket ELTs and a Dayton 10" subwoofer (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-632) for $129 + $124.88 = $253.88 + shipping.

alsfa
01-22-2005, 05:50 PM
While I was doing research, I read a review somewhere, that
PSB speaker, from Canada provides superb quality sound.
The review continued saying it could not believe that pair is
priced in the $200-300 range.
I never heard it but thought might be worth to consider.

bargainseeker
01-22-2005, 06:21 PM
While I was doing research, I read a review somewhere, that
PSB speaker, from Canada provides superb quality sound.
The review continued saying it could not believe that pair is
priced in the $200-300 range.
I never heard it but thought might be worth to consider.PSB (http://www.psbspeakers.com/) does make some good speakers. The small PSB bookshelf speakers in your price range won't produce any low bass, however, so you will need to leave room in your budget for a subwoofer.

RGA
01-22-2005, 09:17 PM
I would consider the Paradigm Atom V3, Wharfedale Diamond series 8.1 or 8.2, B&W DM 303(though this will be close if not just over your max). The Titan V3 from Paradigm may also fit your needs and still should be well under your budget. My dealer has them for 30% off the Atom was $159.00 beore that 30% so basically $120.00Cdn or $100.00 at that price it's probably impossible to do better. In the US though some Canadian speakers sell at par which may make Wharfedale the better deal - the Wharfedale may be nicer for longer listening sessions.

You may want to give a listen to Acoustec Labs as well. They're sold in Walmart - try them and see - I had a pair years ago that were not half bad considering the price.

SpankingVanillaice
01-23-2005, 07:00 AM
For $200 I really recommend the JBL Control 1X. They sound sooo sharp and percise like professional studio monitors. I really think these sound alot better than the first Control 1 that I use to have. ;)

sip
01-23-2005, 09:26 AM
"My dealer has them for 30% off the Atom was $159.00 beore that 30% so basically $120.00Cdn or $100.00 at that price it's probably"

Could you olease let us know about the dealer's name and location. $120.00Cdn for Atoms is a very good price. I bought a pair couple of years ago for more than $200 from Audio One in Toronto. Thanks

Geoffcin
01-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Pioneer SX-950 Reciever
Pioneer PL-72 Turntable

I am now looking for a bookshelf speaker that is musical for around $200. What say you?

Why not go with a speaker that breaths classic, as in the New England sound of the 60's-70's. My choice would be the Cambridge Soundworks Model 6. Modeled after the legendary KLH model 6, of which I have a pair, these speakers, along with similar models from AR & Advent raised the fidelity of affordable music to new hights in their time.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_bookshelf&item=c1m6bkpr

RGA
01-23-2005, 03:43 PM
"My dealer has them for 30% off the Atom was $159.00 beore that 30% so basically $120.00Cdn or $100.00 at that price it's probably"

Could you olease let us know about the dealer's name and location. $120.00Cdn for Atoms is a very good price. I bought a pair couple of years ago for more than $200 from Audio One in Toronto. Thanks

I checked and it was $159.00 and 20% off --- This was about 6 months ago - but the dealer is Soundhounds in Victoria BC. You should note though the Paradigm has price protection policy - the only line they carry that does - which in effect overinflates their prices - so Soundhounds is not permitted to sell outside their zone - especially not to people outside the province and country. Not also that that may have been the Atom V2 (which I don't like).

Still any dealer should come down 20% if you haggle.

kexodusc
01-24-2005, 05:30 AM
The BR-1 speaker kit from Parts Express is by far the best sounding sub $200 speakers I have ever heard...
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640

I've owned plenty of Paradigms and PSB's over the last 9 years, Alpha's, Atoms, Titans v.2, Mini Monitors ($400) as well as Axiom M3Ti's, and some older Boston Acoustics.

These are all highly regarded at their price points, but I can honestly say without exaggerationg that the BR-1s are a far superior sounding speaker and will really surprise. Unfortunately you'll have to assemble these (quite easy if you can solder) and the are pretty ugly.

I've personally done head-to-heads with the BR-1's and Mini Monitor v.3 as well as some older B&W DM303's and IMO the BR-1's provide more warmth, better soundstaging, and better bass definition (though slightly less deep than the Mini Monitors). They are simply much better sounding speakers than what you'd expect at $140, and will have no problem competing with $450 bookshelf models...might not win them all, but you can't argue with the price. Others here have bought them as well...why not, $140 with a 45 day money back guarantee...You aren't paying for a brand name, just solid components and simple design that produces results.

The only knock on them is the 85 db sensitivity, but your Pioneer has guts so it shouldn't be an issue.

If the idea of assembling a speaker kit is a bit too intimidating, I'll have to second the Rocket ELT's. A friend recently brought his over, and we agreed they sound somewhere in between his Atoms and the M3Ti's I have. A definite bargain right now that I can't see lasting forever. Much nicer finish on those than what I'd expect from most $200 speakers, too.

axelsrd
01-25-2005, 04:09 AM
The wife has approved some additional funds. I am now considering Klipsch RB-35 or B&W 602. I like both of these speakers so it is going to be a tough choice. I like the extended high end (horn loading) of the Klipsch and I like the smoothness of the B&W. I like to listen to just about everything except...opera, or RAP. It seems like the B&W would do well with John Fogarty where the Klipsch would do well with Al Stewart. What's a man to do???

shokhead
01-25-2005, 06:27 AM
I didnt like the horns so i went with 603's and 601's.

SAPSEC
01-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Get the cheapest BW DM-303. These are cheap and excellent for music ( = 370 Canadian dollars).

SAPSEC
01-25-2005, 09:46 AM
PSB (http://www.psbspeakers.com/) does make some good speakers. The small PSB bookshelf speakers in your price range won't produce any low bass, however, so you will need to leave room in your budget for a subwoofer.

PSB made very poor audio quality (so laid back). I had to sell 2 pairs of them half price
on e-bay last year.