Update on recent HT upgrade & DVD Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Update on recent HT upgrade & DVD Question

smreed32
01-22-2005, 03:19 PM
I just posted here for the first time a couple of weeks ago and since then I went ahead and purchased some additional components for my HT system. As I mentioned in my last post, I started out with a Sony STR-DA100ES Amplier, which was driving two Vienna Acoustics Haydns and I have a Samsung 50" DLP. To complete my home theatre, I was going to get two more Vienna Acoustics Haydns for the right and left surrounds, but I ended up getting the Vienna Acoustics Mozart Floorstanders for the fronts and moved my Haydns to the surround position. I also ended up getting the Viennal Acoustics Maestro "Grand" for the center channel, but instead of the REL Stadium II Sub, I got the REL Storm III Sub.

For those of you that read my thread, my big question was whether or not I was doing myself any good to have such nice speakers driven by what I considered to be a mid-fi amp in the Sony 1000ES. I wanted to do a quick follow-up to let those of you who responded to my last thread know that I did end up hooking up the system using the Sony and it sounded pretty nice, but after trying it out for a few days, I picked up a B&K AVR-507 S2, just to prove whether or not I could tell a difference. All I can say is WOW...what a difference the change made. At lower volumes, I would say the difference was more slight, but when I cranked the volume dial up to Dolby Reference Level, boy what a difference the B&K made. :D I have read a few posts where people have the same question I did about the value of a better receiver/amp and I am here to say that there is definitely a difference.

Now to my question. With my recent speaker and component upgrades, I left out one thing and that is the DVD/CD player. I am still running a Sony DVP-NS700P, which I bought for about $450 or so, 4-5 years ago. I have the upgrade bug now and am looking for some good objective feedback regarding the real video and audio quality differences I might see by changing to a higher-end DVD/Universal Player. Can anyone tell me about their experience with going to a higher end player? I have been looking at the Denon 3910 and the ARCAM DV27. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance for your input. :)