Good 2 channel from a AV/reciver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good 2 channel from a AV/reciver

Mark4583
01-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Ive been in the process of setting up a Audio only sytem. And I have decided to go with the Nad C352 and C542 Int Amp and CDP. These two will run me just under $1000.00.
But I thought why not explore the HT end of it .
How will a AV reciever/DvD compare to the Nad setup in 2 channel stereo?
The HT system I have now,its not a high end, one of the Sony dream systems, it sounds good for HT but realy sucks when I put a CD in.
Anything in the same price range that will give me most important nice 2 channel Stereo in the HT.
Speakers are Axiom Mti 60's
Thanks

Umrswimr
01-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Your best bet is to find a receiver that has a "bypass" that will let you skip all the DACs and processing and just amplify your analog signal. I don't know which brands specifically do this, but I imagine the higher end models from Marantz and Denon do it.
However, I still prefer separates for 2-channel listening.

kexodusc
01-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Actually, most a/v receivers have a "direct stereo" or "pure direct" mode or whatever you'd like to call that bi-passes the processing stages. The problem is in most a/v receivers, the pre-amps stages aren't the greatest.

Mark4583: I'd recommend a good receiver from Denon, Yamaha or Harman Karman for about $600-$800, then the rest on a decent DVD player if you really want to have this system be a multi-tasker. This is as close as you'll get to your suggested 2-channel system. The Yamaha RX-V1500, H/K AVR-635 come to mind as powerful, nice sounding receivers.
IMO if you find a nice NAD a/v receiver, they are better still but will run you more money.

Another option would be to look at an inexpensive but quality sounding a/v receiver from Yamaha, Denon, H/K, etc with pre-outs for about, say $350-$400 (Yamaha RX-V650/HTR-5760) and purchase an external power amp (NAD, Rotel, Adcom, etc) for the 2-channel mode. You can do quite well on ebay or audiogon,and this combo would outperform any sub $800 receiver in 2-channel stereo mode IMO.
You can go a bit cheap on the CD/DVD player if you use the digital output to connect to a receiver rather than analog, as there will be almost no audible difference...the receiver will handle the digital-to-analog, making the benefit of a good DAC in the CD player/DVD player unnecessary.

At $1000 though, I would expect an a/v receiver/dvd player combo to be as good as the 2-channel system you're considering...though it would definitely outperform the Sony. Identify your needs first, then decide your course of action...if you'd only use the receiver for movies 10% of the time, I'd recommend sticking with the integrated.

Olivertmc
01-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Along the same lines, what type of connection do you guys recommend for two-channel listening: Analog or Digital? I have a Sony DVD/SACD changer, Marantz SR5000 and a Parasound HCA-1000. Right now I use a coaxial digital connection between the dvd player and receiver. Is it recommended that I use the 6-channel direct mode (used for SACD playback) for all listening? Thanks.

kexodusc
01-21-2005, 09:49 AM
The coax digital connection is fine for everything but the high rez track on the SACD...unless you have reason to believe the DAC in the DVD player is better than the DAC in the receiver...
There's a very easy, quick way to find out...experiment.

N. Abstentia
01-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Not only is it recommended, it's REQUIRED. You can't get SACD through the digital connection, you have to go with the 6 channel analog.

Along the same lines, what type of connection do you guys recommend for two-channel listening: Analog or Digital? I have a Sony DVD/SACD changer, Marantz SR5000 and a Parasound HCA-1000. Right now I use a coaxial digital connection between the dvd player and receiver. Is it recommended that I use the 6-channel direct mode (used for SACD playback) for all listening? Thanks.

Olivertmc
01-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks. I've been using the 6-channel for all SACD listening, but I noticed I can run all my other cds through it as well. I think this will give me something to experiment when all the snow that supposed to hit NY arrives this weekend.