Dinosaur with a computer question. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur with a computer question.

markw
01-20-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm really, really liking the radio available on the internet. I can feed my rockabilly and western swing monkey like never before. But, I don't aways want to use the computer. That seems like a tremendous waste.

I know Oynko has a receiver that incorporates an "internet tuner" but I need another receiver like I need another hole in my head. Is there a sanely priced stand-alone radio/tuner that would plug into my hub and allow me to simply tune in internet radio stations? I'll assume that it would have at least R/L analog outputs.

Thanks, guys. I'll answer any questions I can on stuff from the 60's and up but when it comes the this new fangled computer thingie, I'm in foreign territory.

Just in case, I'll post a link to this question in the digial forum.

woodman
01-20-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm really, really liking the radio available on the internet. I can feed my rockabilly and western swing monkey like never before. But, I don't aways want to use the computer. That seems like a tremendous waste.

I know Oynko has a receiver that incorporates an "internet tuner" but I need another receiver like I need another hole in my head. Is there a sanely priced stand-alone radio/tuner that would plug into my hub and allow me to simply tune in internet radio stations? I'll assume that it would have at least R/L analog outputs.

Thanks, guys. I'll answer any questions I can on stuff from the 60's and up but when it comes the this new fangled computer thingie, I'm in foreign territory.

Sorry Mike - I don't have an answer for you ... but I do have a somewhat related question to toss on the fire. Maybe some kind-hearted computer genius will happen along and answer both of our Qs for us.

I just became aware that there are literally tons of radio stations playing all sorts of music over the internet. So, I downloaded the Windows Media Player to give 'em a listen. When I did, it would only play for 3-5 seconds and then stop (for "buffering" apparently) ... then play for another 3-5 seconds before stopping yet again! Whassup wit dat? As far as I know, I have 512megs of RAM and a 700meg microprocessor - shouldn't that be sufficient for the task at hand? So, what else could be responsible for this nonsense?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Woodman, dial up or DSL? I would also ditch the windows media player and get Realplayer instead. Much more stable in my most humble of opinions.

Worf101
01-20-2005, 04:43 PM

But... if your puter has enough analog or digital outs, why not run a line from your puter to your present receivers aux inputs. If they're NOT too far apart this may solve your problem for cheap. My Soundblaster Audigy 2Z has analog and ditgital outs in the front and back.

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster
:cool:

E-Stat
01-20-2005, 04:49 PM
When I did, it would only play for 3-5 seconds and then stop (for "buffering" apparently) ... then play for another 3-5 seconds before stopping yet again! Whassup wit dat? As far as I know, I have 512megs of RAM and a 700meg microprocessor - shouldn't that be sufficient for the task at hand? So, what else could be responsible for this nonsense?
You have a bandwidth bottleneck. My guess is that you do not have broadband or perhaps it is weak at best. Try this test:

1. navigate to www.cnet.com
2. scroll down a bit and look for CNET tools on the left. Click "bandwidth meter"
3. fill in area code and connection type.
4. note result

I use Comcast and get 2664.9 kbps. I have no problems with streaming audio.

rw

plextor guy
01-20-2005, 05:10 PM
I've been using it daily for over two years. It will record ANYTHING you can hear from your computer. You can schedule recordings much like a Tivo. It will tune to internet broadcasts, record them in your choice of several formats and save them to your hard drive. From there you can off load them to an mp3 player, burn them to a cd, whatever. I used it mostly to record over the air programming from a connected radio. Running on XP it's rock solid. I've left town for two weeks at a time and had everything waiting for me when I got back. No crashes. http://www.highcriteria.com/ Check out pocasts too. Download iPodder then download thousands of broadcasts for free. http://www.ipodder.org/

woodman
01-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks to all for your speedy responses to my "problem" (and a big, fat apology to markW for calling him "Mike" in answering his original post).

SirTT:
I have dial-up (I live in the mountains of So.Calif. - there's no cable service here to get DSL). My modem is a 56K, and it's running most all of the time at just over 50K. Also, you mention "dumping" Windows Media Player in favor of RealPlayer ... does that still give access to all of the radio stations on the 'net? Plus, would I still access all of it via the "Media" button on my toolbar between "Favorites" and "History" (Windows 98se)?

E-Stat:
Thanks for that heads-up ... I'll check it out. As a curious side note - I was having the same experience at most websites, listening to music samples from CDs ... except not at amazon.com! There, the propblem seemed to vanish! Any idea of why?

woodman
01-20-2005, 05:26 PM
C-NET's bandwidth meter tells me that I'm only getting 41.5Kbps ... so, that's why I'm unable to hear "streaming audio" here, right? My take on that would be that SirTT's suggestion would be a waste of time.

Thanks to all for trying to help.

E-Stat
01-20-2005, 05:33 PM
As a curious side note - I was having the same experience at most websites, listening to music samples from CDs ... except not at amazon.com! There, the propblem seemed to vanish! Any idea of why?
Amazon, like Microsoft employs a most impressive server farm (probably Linux based). Consequently, their response time is superlative. My guess is that some of your delay is due to radio station hosts with less capable servers.

BTW, cable connections are inherently different than DSL. Naturally, a cable modem requires that cable is run to your house for video and/or broadband internet access. As a computer consultant who works at home, it was a no brainer for me to add the internet service to my existing video cable service. DSL, on the other hand, is managed by your local telephone provider and does not necessarily require any new external wiring. You might try checking their website to see. As an incentive (Not trying to rub it in), broadband provides about 50 times the throughput of the best dial up. You will find that accessing the internet is more rewarding when the majority of your time is spent navigating, downloading, or responding rather than waiting.

rw

markw
01-20-2005, 06:24 PM
If you're gonna hijack my thread, at least get my name right. ;)

Worf, good idea but and I'll do that int he computer room but I was looking for another way to get the ability to "surf", at least amomg a certain number of presets, in another room. Thanks.

Oh, Woody. It does sound like a bottleneck. Cable works wonders.

Worf101
01-21-2005, 07:12 AM
If you're gonna hijack my thread, at least get my name right. ;)

Worf, good idea but and I'll do that int he computer room but I was looking for another way to get the ability to "surf", at least amomg a certain number of presets, in another room. Thanks.

Oh, Woody. It does sound like a bottleneck. Cable works wonders.

I hear ya Mark and hope you find what you're looking for. I always felt that the "internet tuner" feature was so much eyewash. I get digital cable with about 50 commercial free radio stations on it already and I rarely listen to radio cept in the car... but I'm sure someone is scratching your niche somewhere...

Da Worfster

kexodusc
01-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Woodman: Sometimes Windows Media Player has access to SOME stations (not really access, but the station broadcasts using the Windows Media file format), sometimes it does not...same can be said for ANY media program, whether it's Real Player, WinAMP etc.
Windows Media is actually really, really good at what it does, incredibly stable on new systems, and widely used around the world. Nothing wrong at all with using that.
If you find other stations on the internet to listen to that use different programs, by all means download and use those programs too...whatever's easiest for Woodman.

Enjoy the music!

jaguars_fan
01-21-2005, 02:43 PM
What about XM or Sirius? You can get a stand-alone radio or a receiver that will connect to your existing equipment. You can still get a great selection and, from my experience much better sound quality.

Eventix
01-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Markw, you may want to consider a Media Hub. You can get them in wireless (need a wireless router/NAT) or hardwired application. Anyway, it's a hub that connects to your entertainment center and communicates with your computer. It searches for all types of media (mp3's, Jpeg's, etc..) on the computer hard drive. I think the newer models have radio capabilities. I purchased a model produced by HP, the EW5000, it had musicmatch jukebox media player on it. The hub allows you to listen to music, watch photo slide shows or even video from your computer on your home entertainment system. I bought mine for $100. You can pick them up for anywhere between $150 to $1000 depending on your budget and demands. Not to intimidate you but they are kind of a pain if you don't know a little bit about networking, but once setup correctly it's totally worth the trouble. Here is a link with the all the current hubs:

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/browse__cat_id--424,kw--media+hubs,mkt_id--3909336,qcid--1137768076822,rf--qgt.html