Help please- Sub switching rapidly between on and off [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help please- Sub switching rapidly between on and off

satz
12-18-2003, 05:42 PM
Hi all
I have a 5 month old JBL PB10 subwoofer which was working fine until recently. It seems to now suddenly switch from ON to Standby and back on rapidly, while I'm watching a movie or listening to music.

For example if I'm playing a DVD, and the Sub is on, as soon as I press pause on the player, the Sub switches off.

I'm sure this didn't happen before, as there was always a delay of 10 - 15 minutes so that it didn't keep 'thumping' on or off during a film.

This seems to happen at moderate levels as well as loud. My usual settings on the receiver and sub are around 50%, and the sub is running from the LFE output on my Denon receiver.

There's no hum or any other change in the sub's performance,

Before I take it into the warranty agents (as usual I have little faith in them)...can anyone share any knowledge of possible causes, or anything I could look for within the Sub? I'm reasonably electronics-savvy...

many thanks

Satz

karl k
12-18-2003, 10:54 PM
a power switch position that forces the amp to be on and not just in auto?(Sorry, not familiar with the product) If so switch it to forced on position and see if it tries to switch off again as you describe. If not, it's most likely the sub/amp and needs repairing. If so, could be the cables are losing signal, could be LFE is dropping out on the receiver or the DVD player, or could still be the amp.

dmb_fan
12-19-2003, 09:17 AM
In my Hsu VTF-2, there is a jumper that can be moved internally that changes the "on" position from standby mode to constant power. I'd email or call the company, there's probably an easy fix to simply set the subwoofer to constant power rather than standby. -Adam