Did you know that there are over 10,000 members at AR forums? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did you know that there are over 10,000 members at AR forums?

Snowbunny
01-20-2005, 02:27 PM
What's up with that? Why so many members that have never posted. And how pathetic is it that there can be almost 30 people viewing this forum, and none of them say anything!!! :confused:

Maybe I'll start a reunion thread for the old (literally) members that used to hang around the old beer cooler.

And, Swishy... just because I haven't poseured here for a while doesn't mean that I've missed all the good music! Heheheh...

Anyone rediscover an artist that's been in your collection for a while? My recent fave is Eleni Mandell. The first time I heard her was on a comp by Davey. Great song called Dutch Harbour. She's a bit bluesy, a touch of PJ Harvey-style vocals, and a dash of Tom Waits attitude and percussion.

Of the albums I have, I'd recommend Wishbone first, Snakebite second, and I wouldn't recommend Country For Lovers for anyone, although there are a couple of good songs to be found in haystack of chaff. (But really, thanks Swish!)

Dusty Chalk
01-20-2005, 04:03 PM
I recently picked up Afternoon, and although it's not in the disposal, it is a little too country for me, even if alt-.

Hey, did you know CRF is calling it quits at the end of the month? :(

Snowbunny
01-20-2005, 04:12 PM
I recently picked up Afternoon, and although it's not in the disposal, it is a little too country for me, even if alt-.

Hey, did you know CRF is calling it quits at the end of the month? :(

WHAT!!! Are you serious? What about this email I got last week?

Audioreview.com is back in action for 2005!
After a brief hibernation, AudioReview is back. We've got a new site manager who is committed to bringing the site back to its glory days, and 2005 is going to be an exciting year.

Or maybe CRF is a reference to some obscure band you once mentioned??? Cradle 'R Filth?

Javier
01-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi snowy long time no see'ya , and i still owe you something so send me an e-mail , rediscoveries on my collection uuh, the entire classical portion of it.
Nice to know from you again.

Maybe I'll start a reunion thread for the old (literally) members that used to hang around the old beer cooler.

And, Swishy... just because I haven't poseured here for a while doesn't mean that I've missed all the good music! Heheheh...

Anyone rediscover an artist that's been in your collection for a while? My recent fave is Eleni Mandell. The first time I heard her was on a comp by Davey. Great song called Dutch Harbour. She's a bit bluesy, a touch of PJ Harvey-style vocals, and a dash of Tom Waits attitude and percussion.

Of the albums I have, I'd recommend Wishbone first, Snakebite second, and I wouldn't recommend Country For Lovers for anyone, although there are a couple of good songs to be found in haystack of chaff. (But really, thanks Swish!)[/QUOTE]

audiobill
01-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Good to hear from yer igloo 'gain, Snow.

Where have you been?? Surely, you haven't been lurking and not posting -- I "hop" not.

My recent rediscovery has been non other than Sir Elton, himself. His outspokenness has got me going back into my cd collection and listening with new ears. Aside from his "hits" he has some real gems out there.

Indeed, my favourite is a 2-cd set called "rare masters". The version of Madman Across the Water is pure bliss, as is Lady Samantha and A Day in the Country.

Of course, you would probably appreciate a little known gem from the collection called Jack Rabbit.

Hop on,
Bill aka audiobill

Anyone rediscover an artist that's been in your collection for a while?
Of the albums I have, I'd recommend Wishbone first, Snakebite second, and I wouldn't recommend Country For Lovers for anyone, although there are a couple of good songs to be found in haystack of chaff. (But really, thanks Swish!)[/QUOTE]

Dusty Chalk
01-20-2005, 06:36 PM
WHAT!!! Are you serious? What about this email I got last week?

Audioreview.com is back in action for 2005!
After a brief hibernation, AudioReview is back. We've got a new site manager who is committed to bringing the site back to its glory days, and 2005 is going to be an exciting year.

Or maybe CRF is a reference to some obscure band you once mentioned??? Cradle 'R Filth?Nononono, not this forum. That other one, the one about Classic Rock.

You do remember CRF, do you not? After all, it's your fault I'm over there now.

dean_martin
01-20-2005, 06:40 PM

I rediscovered a song by Beck. There's a track on his album Sea Change "It's All in Your Mind". I knew I had heard it before. I finally went through my old 45rpms and found a "K" Records release of It's All in Your Mind - it's a much simpler arrangement but I prefer it to the Sea Change version. Beck recorded One Foot in the Grave on K back in '93-94. The artwork on the single jacket is similar so the single is probably from that time. I rediscovered Beck's "Jack-Ass" single from the Odelay days. Actually, it's a gate-fold double single (oxymoron?). The jacket opens up to an inside picture of Beck and Willie Nelson posing in a coal mine. Beck has a shovel, is wearing overalls and his face is smudged with coal dust. Willie has on a short sleeve ruffled shirt with a shoestring bowtie and pinstriped pants. Man...I need to blow that up and hang it on the wall!

Now I'm going through all my 45s - 12" EPs, 10" EPs and 7" singles. I have a Modest Mouse 12" EP (also on "K") from 1996 that contains a car crash song...hmm...there's a similar reference in "Float On" I believe.

Hyfi
01-21-2005, 04:53 AM
Rediscovered thier 2nd album from '72. Angry Eyes is my fav but I had forgotten how diverse the disk is.

Hi Swowbunny, glad to see your still hoppin'!

jasn
01-21-2005, 05:37 AM
I try to "rediscover" older artists in my collection every time I fill up my car CD wallet (its a $$ thing). This past week I've gone way back and found Mountan and Nillsson, among others.Hify, I have 4 old Loggins & Messina albums on CDs, and find myself playing each of them a couple of times a year. Every one of them has at least one jamming track that is as good as Angry Eyes. I think L&M are a classic example of the Lennon & McCartney syndrome. The sum (to me) was much, much greater than the parts.

Hyfi
01-21-2005, 06:51 AM
I try to "rediscover" older artists in my collection every time I fill up my car CD wallet (its a $$ thing). This past week I've gone way back and found Mountan and Nillsson, among others.Hify, I have 4 old Loggins & Messina albums on CDs, and find myself playing each of them a couple of times a year. Every one of them has at least one jamming track that is as good as Angry Eyes. I think L&M are a classic example of the Lennon & McCartney syndrome. The sum (to me) was much, much greater than the parts.

I used to have a Best Of that was real good. I think I'm going to have to stock up on some more of thier disks.

Snowbunny
01-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Nononono, not this forum. That other one, the one about Classic Rock.

You do remember CRF, do you not? After all, it's your fault I'm over there now.

Oh, that is sad. I hope they've brought in grief counsellors, that board is very close knit! Maybe some of them will show up here. :D

Snowbunny
01-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Hi snowy long time no see'ya , and i still owe you something so send me an e-mail , rediscoveries on my collection uuh, the entire classical portion of it.
Nice to know from you again.

Hi Javier,

You owe me something? Heheheh... if you can name even one song that I put on my comp then I'll believe you! :)

Snowbunny
01-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Hop on,
Bill aka audiobill

Hop on Bill, eh? Is that anything like Doin' the Snowbunny? I hear its all the rage over at the insane asylum. Hehehe...

Good call on the Elton, Bill. I was the opposite of a completist when I was a teeny-bopper, so I rarely ventured into earlier recordings from a favourite artist. But I loved Good-Bye Yellow Brick Road, and I listened more often than I should have, to Blue Moves, which I got for a birthday present. I don't think I've ever heard Madman Across the Water!

Snowbunny
01-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Rediscovered thier 2nd album from '72. Angry Eyes is my fav but I had forgotten how diverse the disk is.

Hi Swowbunny, glad to see your still hoppin'!

Hy Fi,

Loggins and Messina? Diverse? Really? I'm intrigued.

Slosh
01-22-2005, 08:12 AM
old/members/hang

Time for me to get far, far away from this thread!