Anything exciting looming on your horizon? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anything exciting looming on your horizon?

Davey
01-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Guess my next CD will be that new Mercury Rev that no one else seems interested in since I went ahead and preordered it from cd-wow. That's the first purchase of the new year and first one since Christmas for me. That upcoming Andrew Bird and his Bowl of Fire album sounds good too.

"The big news of the day is that the new album is finished, yes, finished, and it contains 14 wondrously rich and dense songs. Previously reported as being titled "The Naming of Things," it's now affectionately known as "The Mysterious Production of Eggs." It will unleashed upon the world February 8, 2005 via Fargo Records in Europe and Righteous Babe Records in North America. Bird's tales of armchair dystopias, end of the world picnics, and the seductive nature of calcium will thrill you."

Anything exciting looming on your event horizon? Speaking of event horizons (for all the science fiction fans in the house), doesn't music sometimes seem like a black hole the way it sucks up all your money? OK, ok, back on topic, it doesn't have to be a new release. Something we should all be on the lookout for? Something you just got and love? Something you just got and hate? Pity response?

;)

ForeverAutumn
01-20-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm really looking forward to the new Frameshift CD due out this Feb. I'm on the ProgRockRecords email list and have been getting a daily log of the progress in the studio as they record the vocals by Sebastian Bach.

This CD is a concept CD exploring dark issues such as serial killers; child molestors; and rapists. It sounds like it will be very dark and moody and the discription of the vocal tracks sound like they will be chilling. I'm really looking forward to hearing this as, if the hype holds true, it promises to be a very interesting and intense musical ride.

On a much lighter note, I was listening to the I Am Sam soundtrack on the drive to work this morning. This soundtrack is a collection of Beatles covers which I really enjoy. While listening to this disk I realized that I have never, in my whole life, owned a Beatles album. I guess, growing up, I just heard them everywhere and I got sick of them before I gave them a chance. So, I've decided to start collecting the Beatles catalogue. I'll probably start this weekend.

Stone
01-20-2005, 12:49 PM
So, I've decided to start collecting the Beatles catalogue. I'll probably start this weekend.

That sounds like a really solid plan to me.

On the horizon, I don't know. I've been too busy to really keep up on what's coming out, but the comments over on obner about the Andrew Bird record make it sound really damn good. Also, I'd really like to get the recent albums by Augie March, Annie, Dungen, and Marah. I haven't been able to find any of them locally. I'd also really like to hear Montage, and had the sucker ordered, but got a message from amazon.com saying USPS tried to deliver it but it was undeliverable. Story of my life . . .

Martini
01-20-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm going to pick up a couple of the Marshall Tucker Band remasters - I got Carolina Dreams last year when I was on vacation in Myrtle Beach. There's a tune on this release called 'Desert Skies' that I love. I'd forgotten how good these guys were - I hadn't heard anything but 'Can't You See' for about 20 years. Beautiful southern rock but more country oriented than, say, the Allman Brothers.
Kind of mainstream, I guess, but I'm looking forward to them.

DarrenH
01-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Arena - Pepper's Ghost. February 1st
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing. March 21st
The new Frameshift as well (thanks for the updates FA)

They've finally remastered Bo Hansson's catalog so I'm looking forward to picking up Magician's Hat from 1974.

Ordered some jazz cd's that should be arriving Friday. There's not much interest in jazz around here but I'll list them anyway:

Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack
Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Dave Brubeck - Time Further Out
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Ike Quebec - Blue and Sentimental
Diz and Getz
Art Blakey - Moanin'
Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame
Lee Morgan - Lee-Way

It's all 1950's to early 60's bop and hard bop. The Brubeck leans more towards Cool. Like I said, they should all arrive on Friday and I can't wait.

Happy listening

Darren

Snowbunny
01-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Anything exciting looming on your horizon? Doesn't have to be a new release. Something we should all be on the lookout for? Something you just got and love? Something you just got and hate? Pity response?

;)

Yeah, actually there is. I bought some creamy vanilla yogurt and I plan to add some tart frozen strawberries and a sprinkle of crunchy granola and mix it all up and freeze it for about ten minutes and then eat it while I watch The Apprentice.

Yes, you guessed it, this is a pity response. Or maybe it’s a secret message of love…. :p

Oh, and I’m also looking forward to the new Andrew Bird album.

Swish
01-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah, actually there is. I bought some creamy vanilla yogurt and I plan to add some tart frozen strawberries and a sprinkle of crunchy granola and mix it all up and freeze it for about ten minutes and then eat it while I watch The Apprentice.

Yes, you guessed it, this is a pity response. Or maybe it’s a secret message of love…. :p

How are you Susan? I don't recall seeing any posts from you in many moons, but I haven't been visiting as often as I used to so perhaps I missed a prior post of two. Anyway, good to see you back, but man have you missed out on some great music while you were "away".

While your yogurt and tarts sound pretty good, I can't eat any of that stuff. I getting ready to have some beef stroganoff made with portabella mushrooms instead of pasta. Those carbs are just no good for me.

Anywya, hope you're doing fine up in the frozen North.
Swishy

Davey
01-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Yes, you guessed it, this is a pity response.
Ya know, pity response doesn't mean exactly the same thing as pitiful response, eh? But I will take some of that yogurt. And...

Or maybe it's a secret message of love?. :p
Don't worry, there's only about 5 people around here these days and I'm sure we can all keep a secret. So who's the message for? Hey, looks like ya threw a new coat of paint on that old mottled and mangy bunny, too.....bout time! ;)

Snowbunny
01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
How are you Susan? I don't recall seeing any posts from you in many moons, but I haven't been visiting as often as I used to so perhaps I missed a prior post of two. Anyway, good to see you back, but man have you missed out on some great music while you were "away".

While your yogurt and tarts sound pretty good, I can't eat any of that stuff. I getting ready to have some beef stroganoff made with portabella mushrooms instead of pasta. Those carbs are just no good for me.

Anywya, hope you're doing fine up in the frozen North.
Swishy

Omygawd, Paul! You used my real name! And here I had it all planned out to return to the board as a guy! Now I'll never know if Dusty's theory that I got attention due to the fact that my moniker is Snowbunny is true! (FYI - he suggested the Happy Bunny avatar.) So its a technical foul for you, Swishy boy!

So you still do the low-carb dealio, eh? I hear if you eat a piece of bread you'll blow up as big as Anna Nicole will be by the end of the year. :D

I love smilies!

Stone
01-20-2005, 02:18 PM
I've obviously been working too much because I'm hallucinating.

But I'd swear I just saw a bunny run by.

Swish
01-20-2005, 02:23 PM
:D :D
Omygawd, Paul! You used my real name! And here I had it all planned out to return to the board as a guy! Now I'll never know if Dusty's theory that I got attention due to the fact that my moniker is Snowbunny is true! (FYI - he suggested the Happy Bunny avatar.) So its a technical foul for you, Swishy boy!

So you still do the low-carb dealio, eh? I hear if you eat a piece of bread you'll blow up as big as Anna Nicole will be by the end of the year. :D

I love smilies!

The "low carb thing" is all that stands between me and a stroke. :D Seriously, it really keeps my cholesterol levels in check. It's just the luck 'o the draw since I'm not overweight, a work out fairly regularly, and my diet was never that bad, skipping the usual fast food fare that so many others seem to favor. It's just bad genetics, but I gotta deal with it. Hey, it's not so bad, except when I have to dring "lite" beer instead of my favorite heavy beers. I'm really gonna get blasted for that statement, but what can I say? I do have carbs on occasion, I just try to avoid them or limit them as often as possible, and it works for me.

Regards,
Paul, er, I mean Swish. :o

Dusty Chalk
01-20-2005, 03:58 PM
I got an email from Matt Elliott's people that he'll have his second album out in February! I'm really looking forward to that.
Now I'll never know if Dusty's theory that I got attention due to the fact that my moniker is Snowbunny is true! (FYI - he suggested the Happy Bunny avatar.)Well, my theory was also based on coming in as a new person -- we actually all remember Snowbunny.

And: I did? Musta been a long time ago. EDIT: Oh yeah, I did! I love Happy Bunny. He's so sweet and rude.

PS Greets.

Slosh
01-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Yeah, actually there is. I bought some creamy vanilla yogurt and I plan to add some tart frozen strawberries and a sprinkle of crunchy granola and mix it all up and freeze it for about ten minutes and then eat it

I'm in the mood for a luster of water freshly drawn from the house tap, and presented au naturel in a cylinder of glass. I'll additionally require a fanned lap coverlet, freshly laundered and scented with a delicate hint of lemon, to replace the one that has slipped from my lap and now lay recumbent on the horizontal walking surface subjacent to my feet.

As am I. Built To Spill, Spoon, Mercury Rev, and Beck have me looking forward to more of 2005 as well.

DPM
01-20-2005, 07:27 PM
1) Porcupine Tree--Deadwing
2) Deep Purple/Scandinavian Nights DVD
3) Deep Purple/California Jam DVD

All of the above are supposed to be released sometime in March. If they are I WILL have a happy birthday.

DM

Ex Lion Tamer
01-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Built To Spill, Spoon, Mercury Rev, and Beck have me looking forward to more of 2005 as well.

Yeah, I'll take a little of that action too...plus I gotta catch up on those '04 albums I missed, like Pinback and Fiery Furnaces and maybe a few more...

Mike
01-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Anything exciting looming on your event horizon?

I've got a ticket for Jesse Malin this Sunday evening at my local fave venue, his last gig there was an all acoustic affair and was excellent, this time he has a full band. Best thing about the venue is the bar and stage are about 10 yards apart so you need never be far from beer or live music. What could be better? well maybe the curry as we all stumble out afterwards...after all it's official now chicken tikka masala is our national dish.

Music wise I suppose I'm after the new Beck but I don't think it's been officially released yet.

Cheers
Mike

Snowbunny
01-21-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm in the mood for a luster of water freshly drawn from the house tap, and presented au naturel in a cylinder of glass. I'll additionally require a fanned lap coverlet, freshly laundered and scented with a delicate hint of lemon, to replace the one that has slipped from my lap and now lay recumbent on the horizontal walking surface subjacent to my feet.

Hey... did you ever consider submitting those lyrics to Grandaddy? Luster in a Cylinder of Glass? They'd make a great song. Whatcha think?

Oh, and thanks for getting me sloshed for Christmas, Patrico. Two thumbs up on 2004. What's with this group Pinback? Love their sound! And as hard as I've tried, I can't stand Blueberry Boat! Buzzy, fuzzy irritating noise!

PS: Do you have the flu or something? Or are you just a lazy couch potato?

Slosh
01-22-2005, 07:38 AM
Hey Snowflake! Are you hibernating now? :)

Hey... did you ever consider submitting those lyrics to Grandaddy? Luster in a Cylinder of Glass? They'd make a great song. Whatcha think?
They'd have to ask Bill Bryson, as I lifted that passage from his novel, Notes From a Small Island (not word for word but if he took me to court I'd definitely lose ;) ).

Oh, and thanks for getting me sloshed for Christmas, Patrico. Two thumbs up on 2004. What's with this group Pinback? Love their sound!
Summer In Abaddon started getting some buzz in the fall and then Davey picked it up and liked it and that was good enough for me. It's my favorite album of 2004 and I think everyone should buy a copy. :) I think even the proggers around here would like it; it has that built-upon layering song structure and sublime vocal harmonies similar to mellower Porcupine Tree, but, you know . . . with good song writing and no wanking. :D I also have their previous album, Blue Screen Life and that's very, very good as well (although I think you should start with Summer). Since it looks like the northeast is gonna get snowed in this weekend I'll probably kill some idle time with a new comp and I'll feature "Concrete Seconds" from Blue Screen on it. Great song!

And as hard as I've tried, I can't stand Blueberry Boat! Buzzy, fuzzy irritating noise!
I have but one thing to say to you: Plume bloom bloom blappy bloom, cheep cheep beep bee-bee beep!!! :confused:

PS: Do you have the flu or something? Or are you just a lazy couch potato?
No flu but I am sick of being pretty, sick of being cool ;) Not lazy, neither a couch nor a potato, so it must be something. Let me know if you figure out what that something is. :o

NP: Earlimart - Treble & Tremble (another of my faves from 2004)

Davey
01-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Also, I'd really like to get the recent albums by Augie March, Annie, Dungen, and Marah. I haven't been able to find any of them locally.
Just a quick btw even though I don't think you order much online, when I ordered the new Mercury Rev a few days ago from cd-wow I found a 1 GBP discount so it was just 7.99 GBP Inc Free Delivery (which is 15 USD now). They also have the ANNIE - Anniemal at that price too, although I didn't buy it. I did also order the Tindersticks new 2-disc UK Island years best of called "Working for the Man" for 9.99 GBP since you can use the discount over and over. Pretty good deal if there's a relatively popular UK only release you've been itching for.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/Article504.phtml

Chrisgnat
01-23-2005, 03:26 PM
[Arena - Pepper's Ghost. February 1st
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing. March 21st
The new Frameshift as well (thanks for the updates FA)

They've finally remastered Bo Hansson's catalog so I'm looking forward to picking up Magician's Hat from 1974.

Ordered some jazz cd's that should be arriving Friday. There's not much interest in jazz around here but I'll list them anyway:

Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack
Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Dave Brubeck - Time Further Out
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Ike Quebec - Blue and Sentimental
Diz and Getz
Art Blakey - Moanin'
Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame
Lee Morgan - Lee-Way

It's all 1950's to early 60's bop and hard bop. The Brubeck leans more towards Cool. Like I said, they should all arrive on Friday and I can't wait.

Happy listening

Darren

Those Blue Notes ya got comin' are all great & essential for any jazzer imo.

kexodusc
01-24-2005, 06:56 AM
Hey gang, I haven't heard of Frameshift at all, but is this the same Sebastian Bach of Skid Row fame? I think I've still got a denim jacket with some Skid Row iron ons in my closet somewhere...
What else have these guys done? Any recommendations on where to start?

Stone
01-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Just a quick btw even though I don't think you order much online, when I ordered the new Mercury Rev a few days ago from cd-wow I found a 1 GBP discount so it was just 7.99 GBP Inc Free Delivery (which is 15 USD now). They also have the ANNIE - Anniemal at that price too, although I didn't buy it. I did also order the Tindersticks new 2-disc UK Island years best of called "Working for the Man" for 9.99 GBP since you can use the discount over and over. Pretty good deal if there's a relatively popular UK only release you've been itching for.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/Article504.phtml

Thanks. I may have to look into that.