What gear you got? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What gear you got?

Worf101
01-20-2005, 06:58 AM
I know there's some Musicians in this group so.... what sweet, exotic or classic intruments or gear do you got? Me, I got the following...

1. 1968 Fender Jazz Bass Guitar - My second bass and one I'll probably never sell.

2. 1968 Gibson Les Paul Recording Bass - A recent pick up that the smallest bass I have but also the heaviest.... go fig.

3. 1982 Mark Leue Custom Made Bass - The first custom made bass I ever got. A local guy made it for me. Neck through, tremendous tone. My everyday bass.

4. 1972 Jose Ramierez Student Model - Sweet classical acoustic guitar that may be on ebay soon. Time to set it free to find a new life.

Soooo what ya got?

Da Worfster :cool:

Swish
01-20-2005, 07:23 AM
a new Taylor 714 CE.

My other acoustics are a late model Guild True American and a 1959 Gibson L-50 (arch top with F-holes).

My electrics are a 2001 Fender Strat Special Edition and a 1972 Gibson ES-335.

My amp is a 1980 something Mesa Mark III.

Swish

kexodusc
01-20-2005, 07:36 AM
I don't have much in the way of amps, but I do have a Marshall JCM 800 Head with 1960AV Cab Half-Stack, and another 8100 & 8412 Valvestate combo (I not II)...haven't been playing much since I moved to Canada in the fall.

For geeetars my baby is a Gibson "Lucille", after my hero... I'd cry if I scratched that..
I have a 1961 Gibson Les Paul SG jr that took forever to restore, a few Jacksons for the days I want to noodle, and a bunch of Yamaha and Godins lying around...A Strat, a Tele, nothing fancy.

And my first guitar from '89, a cheap Korean workhorse - "Vantage Avenger"...still smokin'...I'll never part with that...

Hyfi
01-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Sold not long ago but cool gear:

Rickenbacker 4003 Fretless Stereo Bass- White with Rosewood fretboard, custom brass nut, custom pickups.
http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/4003fl.htm

Sunn 200 watt tubed bass head

SVT cabinet

Miss it all now!

dean_martin
01-20-2005, 09:19 AM
1966 Fender Mustang
1986 Fender JazzMaster, '62 reissue MIJ
Danelectro - about 3-4 years old
1970s Fender Princeton Reverb amp

The JazzMaster is my favorite. It has the sweetest tone, but it's not the easiest to play. It's perfect for that swirling Indie guitar rock sound. The Mustang just feels right, but it has its days when it doesn't sound so hot and I only use it to get a nasty, twangy sound. I get a nice clean sound with the Danelectro.

My amp is special. It's very delicate due to its age, but once it's warmed up I just love the sound I get with the JazzMaster. I've tried some solid state amps and liked them initially because they were lively and exciting. I could get some real heavy crunching sounds, but I've always come back to my Princeton Reverb for that lush midrange and highs that sound like those bells in Christmas Bells choirs. It's sensitive to tube changes also.

I've tried different effects pedals like the Big Muff Pi and Danelectro Fab Tone. My favorite was an Ibanez TS10 Tube Screamer that I found at a pawnshop. After stomping it for almost 10 years it's got problems and has been replaced by my third favorite - Boss DS-1 Distortion. At $40 it's a bargain in the right setup. My second favorite is an old Boss anolog delay pedal also scored used. I hope I never have to replace it because I can't find it new anywhere. (I saw The Reverend Horton Heat use this pedal live. He had it sitting on top of his Fender Twin Reverb and would go over to it and twist the speed dial and get all sorts of crazy sounds. I ran right home and tried it myself and my speed nob came off! It's still adjustable with the stem, but I can't get the nob to stay on.)

The guitars I've sold or traded are a Univox Mosrite copy (found this for $75 during the Nirvana craze) and an old Silvertone acoustic with a home made bridge.

My latest interest is recording. I have an old Yamaha 4-track that's very veratile and can accomodate 6 inputs, an MXL 990/991 condenser mic package, a Sure SM57 dynamic mic, and single channel and 2-channel presonus tube mic preamps.

My next step is to get a power mixer and a pair of good PA speakers. (Hey, I may not be performing live but both my sons play - one plays guitar and one plays drums. My drummer boy has already had 2 gigs and the guitar player wants to pick up the bass. Then we can have a proper family band!)

dean_martin
01-20-2005, 09:53 AM
You can pick out some of my gear in the gallery pics of my 2-channel audio system:

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=213047

N. Abstentia
01-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Here's my current gear list:

1994 PRS CE24 - My first real guitar after having mainly basses and crappy guitars. I'll probably never sell this one since it's a pre '95 Paul Reed Smith and it has the bird inlays which is not available on this model anymore.

1996 Parker Fly - Very early model Fly, with pickup mods done by me! Overall (thanks to the pickup mods) the best guitar I have and weighs next to nothing.

1994 Zion Bent T - closest thing to a Strat I have. Walked into a music store, played it, had to have it :)

1994 Zion Classic Maple. Loved the other Zion and I wanted one with a carved top and Floyd Rose. Found it on Ebay.

Basses:

Warwick Thumb Bolt On - Not sure of the year, but it's one of the older ones before they went cheap on them!

Zon Sonus 5 String Fretless - Sweet. Just sweet.

Amps:
For guitar my main amp is a Soldano Decatone with a 4x12 Soldano cabinet. Bedroom/practice amp is a Vox Valvetronix AD50 which is a stellar modeling amp.

For bass I have a Carvin R600 with 2x10 + 1x15 cabinet.

There are pictures of most of these at www.chuckamuck.com in the guitar sections, along with pictures of some of my past guitars.

MasterCylinder
01-20-2005, 11:10 AM
I have 3 drum sets but the stars are a set of 1977 custom-made GRETSCH, 6-ply maple, which I ordered from the factory.

Black, big and loud:

bass = 24x18
toms = 13, 14 & 15
floor tom = 18x18

plus --
Too many Zildgians to list.......some for live gigs; some for studio.

Swish
01-20-2005, 02:00 PM
I've tried different effects pedals like the Big Muff Pi and Danelectro Fab Tone. My favorite was an Ibanez TS10 Tube Screamer that I found at a pawnshop. After stomping it for almost 10 years it's got problems and has been replaced by my third favorite - Boss DS-1 Distortion. At $40 it's a bargain in the right setup. My second favorite is an old Boss anolog delay pedal also scored used. I hope I never have to replace it because I can't find it new anywhere. (I saw The Reverend Horton Heat use this pedal live. He had it sitting on top of his Fender Twin Reverb and would go over to it and twist the speed dial and get all sorts of crazy sounds. I ran right home and tried it myself and my speed nob came off! It's still adjustable with the stem, but I can't get the nob to stay on.)

I used to have a Boss Real Tube that made my solid state Peavey sound fantastic, but I sold it along with my old Strat and assorted junk about 12 years ago. I really wish I had the sucker back.

My current fave is an old Mutron III, which, for those unfamiliar, is an auto-wah pedal that has been out of production for years. Don't fall for the Mutron III+ because it's nothing like the original. Anyway, the pedal was used by Stevie Wonder on Superstition (that's what made his keyboard sound so funky in that song), and he liked it so much that he allowed Mutron to use his image on their advertising for free! I have some of the original papers and all that show that bit of info, and it's pretty cool. Mine needs a little work because it's not working across the full dynamic range, so I'm getting ready to ship it to a guy in California who is recommended by the creator of the pedal.

Anyway, here's a pic of my '59 Gibson L-50 for anyone who cares.

Swish

dean_martin
01-20-2005, 03:03 PM
I used to have a Boss Real Tube that made my solid state Peavey sound fantastic, but I sold it along with my old Strat and assorted junk about 12 years ago. I really wish I had the sucker back.

My current fave is an old Mutron III, which, for those unfamiliar, is an auto-wah pedal that has been out of production for years. Don't fall for the Mutron III+ because it's nothing like the original. Anyway, the pedal was used by Stevie Wonder on Superstition (that's what made his keyboard sound so funky in that song), and he liked it so much that he allowed Mutron to use his image on their advertising for free! I have some of the original papers and all that show that bit of info, and it's pretty cool. Mine needs a little work because it's not working across the full dynamic range, so I'm getting ready to ship it to a guy in California who is recommended by the creator of the pedal.

Anyway, here's a pic of my '59 Gibson L-50 for anyone who cares.

Swish

That's sweet, Swish! A friend of mine owned a guitar shop in downtown Mobile, AL where I was introduced to many of the old Gibsons. (His shop was in an old building between a topless bar and an adult bookstore.) He travelled all over the southeast and found beautiful old guitars in trunks of cars that hadn't run in years, country flea markets and small town pawn shops. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to hang on until the market really took off. He swore that the blue Mosrite played by Pat Smear of Nirvana on the In Utero tour was one he had traded to a guy in Mississippi for a '62 sunburst JazzMaster. I saw it before the trade and it sure looked like it. But his favorite stuff was the classic Gibsons like the L-50, National Dobros and I remember a D'Angelico that he spoke fondly of.

Thanks for the tip on the Mutron III. I have the Vox Wah, but it's not something I use very often. I've been thinking about getting something similar to the Vox but a little more unique. The search is on.

Dusty Chalk
01-20-2005, 04:08 PM
I got some ugly crap: a Rogue Aluminator, a Spirit GT-Pro, and a BC Rich Warlock (the black plexi one, with the widow headstock).

I also have a Marshall half-stack. I think it's the 6080, but I don't remember the number, and it's not handy right now (it's in storage -- I need to pull it out). It's the old point-to-point one.

Oh, and it terms of F/X, I have: three Alesis Quadraverb GT's, a Lexicon Vortex, and some pedal thingy, I think Boss.

Don't even get me started on synthesizers: Nord Modular, Kurzweil K2000RS (maxed out), Morpheus, UltraProteus, FS1R, TX81Z...bunch of stuff. Oh, and an Alesis drum machine, but I use it mostly as a controller.

Worf101
01-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Sold not long ago but cool gear:

Rickenbacker 4003 Fretless Stereo Bass- White with Rosewood fretboard, custom brass nut, custom pickups.
http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/4003fl.htm

Sunn 200 watt tubed bass head

SVT cabinet

Miss it all now!

How'd you let that sweety go? I always loved the look of Ricks but found their necks too wide for my pudgy fingers.

Da Worfster
:D

Swish
01-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Mutron III. I have the Vox Wah, but it's not something I use very often. I've been thinking about getting something similar to the Vox but a little more unique. The search is on.

http://www.mu-tron.org/ The last time I checked, the creator of the Mutron III, and a bunch of other Mutron effects I should add, was selling his personal stock and he wanted about $850.00 for the III. I don't care if it's perfect, it ain't worth that. You will probably be looking at about $300 or more if it's in good shape, and the search could be tough, so good luck to you. When I run this thing thru a distortion pedal, the sounds are freakin' awesome! I got the idea from the literature I have on it, and it was one great tip.

There are two on e-bay right now, and one guy wants $500 minimum but there are no bids yet. Go figure. This link has one up to $280.00 right now with 7 bids, and it has 2 more days remaining. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22669&item=3776093865&rd=1

Regards,
Swish

Hyfi
01-21-2005, 06:58 AM
How'd you let that sweety go? I always loved the look of Ricks but found their necks too wide for my pudgy fingers.

Da Worfster
:D

After leaving it sit in the closet for 15 years, I needed cash and did not see myself having the time to mess with it. I chose the Rick over the Fenders because the Fender necks were way too big for my pudgy fingers.
Got to tell ya, learning bass on a frettless, by ear, is challenging. I did add some extra dots up the side of the neck for navigation.

Aside from the looks, nothing sounds like a Rick, even the regular guitars. All the cool stuff CCR does was with a Rick.

My favorite Bass players and the reasons I started are, Chris Squire and Jon Camp. Two "Lead Bassists".

I'm still kicking myself for ever parting with the gear.

MasterCylinder
01-21-2005, 07:14 AM
My next purchase (hopefully) :

http://www.alternatemode.com/malletkat_main.shtml

Midi this baby up to a stack of Kurzweil modules.........I won't need any other musicians.

Worf101
01-21-2005, 07:22 AM
My next purchase (hopefully) :

http://www.alternatemode.com/malletkat_main.shtml

Midi this baby up to a stack of Kurzweil modules.........I won't need any other musicians.

Put more musicians outta woik. LOL., no I understand the desire to rid oneself for additonal knuckleheads. Interesting "instrument"? I suppose you play it with mallets like vibes or my hand? Curious to know how it's played.

Da Worfster

MasterCylinder
01-21-2005, 07:30 AM
"Curious to know how it's played"

You play it with mallets just like vibes or marimba or xylophone, all of which were mandatory for percussion performance majors while in music school.

A midi-capable keyboard like this allows percussion players to open a whole new world.