R U anal about your system? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : R U anal about your system?

lowkey37
01-19-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't like for my wife to touch my remote(rc-5400) or any of my gear-Marantz sr-8300-dv-6200-w/ and a 6000$ deftech speaker system. Luckily, I don't have any booger eaters yet so I only have to fight off my better half! Also, I always think of what I could do to make my system sound better-Sound familar? "lowkey"

markw
01-19-2005, 11:33 AM
...but I'm not gonna be a sphincter about it. I would hope your wife would respect your equipment at least as much as you respect her abilities to use and enjoy it w/o harming it.

midfiguy
01-19-2005, 11:41 AM
I mean, if someone takes the time to teach their wife, etc how to use it (if they even care), then what's the worst that can happen? I'm assuming the volume is always turned down to a somewhat reasonable level before you turn off the the system each time, and as long as you warn your wife not to turn the volume up past X, you're avoiding the "blowing up the speakers" part of it, so what's the worst that can happen?

Any of us here can easily fix any change that someone who's not all that familiar with the system can make. I'm not saying that a wife, etc shouldn't respect a system. I just think it's disrespectful to not let your wife touch your system. After all, at the end of the day, it's only H/T / Music equipment.

I've taught my wife the basics, including selecting inputs, the volume, mute, radio station changing, and surround/stereo modes. That's all anyone who just wants to to get basic need out of your system needs. As long as they don't get into adjusting channel levels, crossovers, etc, it's no big deal.

Kids obviously should be off limits since they can break dials, etc, but that's understandable.

But with my wife and I, what's hers is mine and what's mine is hers. If she wants to use the stereo/home theater, I trust that I made a smart enough choice that the person I married is smart enough not to fry my equipment... ...and it hasn't happened to date. :D

kexodusc
01-19-2005, 11:57 AM
I get a wee bit miffed when she moves a speaker out of place to clean or something, but other than that it's not really an issue.
To tell you the truth, I kinda wish she wanted to touch the HT/music equipment a bit MORE. I'd have an easier time selling her on ideas...

lowkey37
01-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Have you taught your wife how to piss standing upright?

I mean, if someone takes the time to teach their wife, etc how to use it (if they even care), then what's the worst that can happen? I'm assuming the volume is always turned down to a somewhat reasonable level before you turn off the the system each time, and as long as you warn your wife not to turn the volume up past X, you're avoiding the "blowing up the speakers" part of it, so what's the worst that can happen?

Any of us here can easily fix any change that someone who's not all that familiar with the system can make. I'm not saying that a wife, etc shouldn't respect a system. I just think it's disrespectful to not let your wife touch your system. After all, at the end of the day, it's only H/T / Music equipment.

I've taught my wife the basics, including selecting inputs, the volume, mute, radio station changing, and surround/stereo modes. That's all anyone who just wants to to get basic need out of your system needs. As long as they don't get into adjusting channel levels, crossovers, etc, it's no big deal.

Kids obviously should be off limits since they can break dials, etc, but that's understandable.

But with my wife and I, what's hers is mine and what's mine is hers. If she wants to use the stereo/home theater, I trust that I made a smart enough choice that the person I married is smart enough not to fry my equipment... ...and it hasn't happened to date. :D

dean_martin
01-19-2005, 05:00 PM

HAH! That's funny, but I hope your wife doesn't get on here and find your posts. My wife knows my moniker, etc. In fact, I recently got her to check a thread about keeping dust off components which included recommendations for some nice component cabinets. (One was from World Market which is one of her favorite stores.) Your goal should be to get her interested, especially if your system is the main system in the home for tv and movie watching because you're not going to be able to keep her away from it.

My wife has no interest in my stereo only system. I don't have to worry about anyone messing with my turntable because no one in the house thinks it's cool except for me. If I sit my wife or my sons down long enough to listen, they like the sound but would rather have the convenience of cd.

My last 3 LPs were gifts from my wife. The last time I changed the cartridge on my turntable I needed a tool that I didn't have. I described what I needed and SHE had the perfect pair of small needle nose pliers for gripping the contact leads. She uses them with one of her hobbies. I told her how effective they were and she bought me a pair. It's hard not to be anal sometimes but it's more fun when she seems interested. It's also nice when she turns on the amp, selects the correct input, loads the dvd player and adjusts the volume while I sit back, relax and watch the show.

gonefishin
01-19-2005, 09:33 PM
are you kidding?

The wife is the reason I got back into this hobby again. She practically forced me into it by saying we need to get a new 5-disk CD player. LOL :)

really tho...she isn't bad...neither is our beautiful two year old...she's only bumped the speakers a couple of times ;) she'll say...*sorry daddy* and heck...it's alright with me :D

dan

risabet
01-19-2005, 09:38 PM
I don't like for my wife to touch my remote(rc-5400) or any of my gear-Marantz sr-8300-dv-6200-w/ and a 6000$ deftech speaker system. Luckily, I don't have any booger eaters yet so I only have to fight off my better half! Also, I always think of what I could do to make my system sound better-Sound familar? "lowkey"
The recently begun cycle of upgrading is due to the wife, no to a motorcyle, yes to upgrades. She really couldn't care less about the system but she knows how to use it, mostly.

Lensman
01-19-2005, 09:41 PM

I gotta say I'm with the others on this one. I WANT my wife to use and enjoy the system and work to make it easier for her to do so. This paid off recently when we remodeled our basement exclusively for the purpose of setting up the A/V gear to get optimal placement of the surround system. I'd wanted to do it for a while. But it was my wife who insisted we ditch her room arrangements and go ahead with it. It was also her idea to repaint the walls, trim AND ceiling to colors more conducive to a home theater. Thanks to that I now have enough control of the lighting to put a projection system in (at some future point). And it was her sister who sewed the floor-to-ceiling 14' theater curtain.

The only inhabitant I DON'T want touching my gear is our cat. ;)

markw
01-20-2005, 03:52 AM
... It's also nice when she turns on the amp, selects the correct input, loads the dvd player and adjusts the volume while I sit back, relax and watch the show.Sounds like the world's most perfect remote control! ;)

midfiguy
01-20-2005, 04:19 AM
All it means is that someone made a good point and they just don't have a good counter-argument. AKA - You wife (and maybe you) must be incompetant.

With a retort like that, it's quite obvious that you're a moron, and you probably married a moron, so I forgive your ignorance. Don't bother trying to teach her, she's probably as stupid as you are.

Go and praise your precious deftechs, sleep tight with them at night. I'm sure you guys will praise this world with beautiful "booger eaters".

Worf101
01-20-2005, 06:53 AM
Cept what god intended. I'm no anal about my stereo or HT gear. She'll hit the wrong button every now and then and turn something wrong off or on but it's no biggie. And the boy knows it's certain death if he ruins something like he did with the Christmas tree incident soo I'm not worried. And nothing I have is "bleeding edge" or hyper expensive. I like old and orphan gear so it's all replaceable.... Now my 1968 Fender Jazz Bass guitar, my 1968 Gibson Les Paul Recording Bass and my Mark Leue custom made are NOT replaceable... those I'm slightly anal about.

Da Worfster :cool:

Hairsonfire
01-20-2005, 10:01 AM

Have you thought about getting rid of the wife? He he he. Could not resist. I have a dedicated listening room, acousitically treated and tastefully decorated - all for ME! ME! ME! I never understood the attraction of "Relationships" and "Companionship." It all looks like a never ending series of compromises to me. Great for the movies and songs, but not real life. As for making your system sound better, experiment, experiment, experiment. I had a frustrating experience with toe in and speaker placement that was only cured after realizing my speakers were too far out in the room with far too much toe-in. However, I had to experiment for quite a while to get there. A well set up system is priceless when it comes to musical enjoyment.

PAT.P
01-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Maybe you should of stayed single! Do you sleep with your system? I dont care if mine plays with my system and my 7 year old son as the right also .Dont have my system in a bubble glass also.Family before material,and I also have 5 grandchildren but here I keep a eye on them! Pat.P

midfiguy
01-20-2005, 01:03 PM
My niece is only 20 months old and she plays near the equipment and even the big screen all the time, but she never touches either because she has been taught to not do so. Perhaps people just need to do a better job in disiplining kids, etc.

dave123456@mail.com
01-20-2005, 01:26 PM
eww...no...thats gross.

Aric M L
01-20-2005, 11:53 PM
I agree, as long as people aren't incompetent (in which case they wouldn't enjoy a nicer stereo fully anyways) I let anyone who wants to listen to my equipment. I didn't spend $10,000 but it seems anything else is.. well.. anal

shokhead
01-21-2005, 04:39 AM
Everyone can use anything. They know to turn volume down before shutting down and not to adjust anything. Now nobody cleans any A/V stuff,i'll do that and because of my dog{ever felt a lab tail} and when my kids were small, my floor standers were on small stands and covers always on speakers.

lowkey37
01-27-2005, 08:44 AM
frame that one u r good, but I must add with a retort like that you were trying to prove something? Why? Are you lacking in some areas? I'll bet u r. I want go as far to make ignorant speculation but there is evidence which questions your comfort with trying to be a man. Have a nice day!
All it means is that someone made a good point and they just don't have a good counter-argument. AKA - You wife (and maybe you) must be incompetant.

With a retort like that, it's quite obvious that you're a moron, and you probably married a moron, so I forgive your ignorance. Don't bother trying to teach her, she's probably as stupid as you are.

Go and praise your precious deftechs, sleep tight with them at night. I'm sure you guys will praise this world with beautiful "booger eaters".

lowkey37
01-27-2005, 08:48 AM
What a bunch of knuckleheads!
Everyone can use anything. They know to turn volume down before shutting down and not to adjust anything. Now nobody cleans any A/V stuff,i'll do that and because of my dog{ever felt a lab tail} and when my kids were small, my floor standers were on small stands and covers always on speakers.

noddin0ff
01-27-2005, 11:42 AM
I don't let anyone touch my wife.

bjornb17
01-27-2005, 05:30 PM
I don't let anyone touch my wife.

haha :D

JoeE SP9
01-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Being a member of this site indicates a certain amount of anality!

jeffrodesiac
01-31-2005, 10:02 AM
i can get anal about it, i have 2 kids 5&1, i worry about my $1300 NHT sub, its probably the nicest piece of gear out of all of it and probably the most expensive thing in our home. 72lbs of love MMmm that shiny piano finish seperate amp, dont get me started, anyway i keep a towel on it because the 1 yr old drools like a waterfall and he likes to play near it, my receiver and dvd player r behind glass and vcr and sub amp too high for the kiddies to reach. As far as the wife using it i dont care, she respects it, i prefer the volumes all the way down and prefer to turn the sub off before the receiver she does really well with that, i see her struggle to use the remote ie(backtracking) i laugh to myself but she figures it out, my sub is like a mini refrigerator, she was cool enuff to give some room for that pig. so basically i just have a bunch of dried drool on the tv, i clean and dust often. My son follows in my footsteps he has a keyboard and a cheap emerson radio, i've noticed him ALWAYS turn the volume down on both of those things when he is done using them

midfiguy
01-31-2005, 10:29 AM
I have no idea what you're trying to say in your message because you don't make any sense.

I want go as far to make ignorant speculation but there is evidence which questions your comfort with trying to be a man. Have a nice day!

I'm sorry, can you write proper english? They have classes for that. What evidence are you refering to exactly? Please prove your wonderful theory. LOWKEY, lol!

midfiguy
01-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Have you thought about getting rid of the wife? He he he. Could not resist. I have a dedicated listening room, acousitically treated and tastefully decorated - all for ME! ME! ME! I never understood the attraction of "Relationships" and "Companionship." It all looks like a never ending series of compromises to me. Great for the movies and songs, but not real life. As for making your system sound better, experiment, experiment, experiment. I had a frustrating experience with toe in and speaker placement that was only cured after realizing my speakers were too far out in the room with far too much toe-in. However, I had to experiment for quite a while to get there. A well set up system is priceless when it comes to musical enjoyment.

If the parent can control their child, there's nothing to worry about. I've seen this with countless friends/family who have pretty expensive (relatively) and delicate gear (bookshelf speakers, tube amps, etc). For some people, they should consider spending more time on parenting, and less time with home theater obsession.

I never understood the attraction of "Relationships" and "Companionship".

And you make sure you hold that speaker nice and tight at night!

newbsterv2
01-31-2005, 12:40 PM
If I were you I'd pay more attention to your living and breathing wife than too some electronic wizardry that could break for absolutely no reason at all and give to !@#$% less whether you're upset or not. I guess the question is this. Would you rather have your wife around or your gear? If you have to think about that for more than a split second it's probably your gear to which I'd recommend you buy pure silver interconnects, that super expensive speaker wire from Nordost, and whatever other snake oil you can muster up with the remaining money you have.