Subwoofer advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer advice

cubdog
01-18-2005, 04:56 PM
I am upgrading to an SVS sub for my home theater setup. I currently use an Advent AV550s which has a 500w Sunfire amp? It does play loud but is boomy and has a fair amount of distortion. My question is, what I should do with this sub? Throw it away, sell it, or could the driver be replaced to upgrade the performance? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

cubdog

midfiguy
01-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Cubdog, why not throw it on ebay and let the market decide what its worth. Just put a reserve on it where you wouldn't let it go for a certain price?

Better yet, if it has speaker terminals, you could use it as a passive sub for your rear speakers. I use to have a passive woofer for my rear channels under the sofa, and it added a nice little omph.

cubdog
01-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback Midfiguy. I probably should have been more specific in my post because I'm really interested in what I might have. I picked this up locally for next to nothing. While I know the Advent name, I really know nothing about their products. Why do they have the Sunfire Technology/Carver ID on this sub? I would expect any product carrying the Sunfire logo to have some redeeming qualities. Has anyone hear this sub or know if it has any value?

Tkanks, cubdog

Lensman
01-19-2005, 09:22 PM
I am upgrading to an SVS sub for my home theater setup. I currently use an Advent AV550s which has a 500w Sunfire amp? It does play loud but is boomy and has a fair amount of distortion. My question is, what I should do with this sub? Throw it away, sell it, or could the driver be replaced to upgrade the performance? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

cubdog

The distortion could be a problem with the amp. But having said that, are you sure its the sub and not the room's acoustics? Subs are extremely finicky about placement. And rooms with poor/untamed acoustic problems can easily cause a sub with flat response to spike up and down 10-20db. Have you tried moving it around your room?