Pre-out question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pre-out question

benjie2000
01-18-2005, 01:58 PM
I read in one of the posts that you can use an amp to drive an existing receiver that has a pre out.
Can someone elaborate please ?
Will this mean that if you use a powerful amp and plug it through the pre-out of a mediocre receiver, you will actually hear a much better sound ?
Am thinking of upgrading to separate system but found out that it will cost a lot of money.
Current system I have:
Yamaha pro logic receiver with out put of 80 watts per channel.
Boston Acoustics VR 40 main speakers.
Paradigm sub
Boston Acoustics surround speakers at the back.

Appreciate feedback.

royphil345
01-18-2005, 02:24 PM
In my experience, you will get slightly better sound. I've got a Carver amp hooked up to my Harman Kardon receiver. System does sound a little clearer with the external amp. Bass is also a little punchier. Did it mostly for a little extra power though. Don't know if the slight improvement in sound alone would be worth the money. Won't get sound better than the receiver's preamp section is capable of. My last receiver sounded a little lean and I liked the sound better without the Carver. (better amp exposed weaknesses in the receiver's preamp)

Woochifer
01-18-2005, 04:23 PM
In your case, I think that if you put any value at all in home theater, then your first step is to upgrade the receiver rather than worry about adding extra amplification to your current receiver. In an era of 5.1 and 6.1 soundtracks, Pro Logic just doesn't cut it. By upgrading to a new receiver, you add multichannel format decoding, better bass management, Dolby Pro Logic II, and more flexible inputs/outputs.

IMO, the main justification for using the preouts for a receiver to add an external amp would be if you're upgrading the speakers to low efficiency low impedance speakers like Dynaudios or panel speakers. Your Bostons are relatively efficient and don't impose enough of a load to make the investment worthwhile.

The step up from Pro Logic to DD and DTS 5.1 is one of the few upgrades in audio that I regard as a true "night and day" improvement. Most other differences are either subtle or nonexistent/psychosomatic, and I generally put amplification in the subtle category (again, unless you're talking about difficult speakers). And for my money, I would rather invest in a "night and day" improvement over something that gives me a subtle improvement at best.

N. Abstentia
01-19-2005, 04:26 AM
Listen to Wooch.

The first thing you gotta do is get out of 1987 and ditch that Pro Logic receiver. Don't worry about an amp right now, use that money for a good receiver. If you get a really good receiver you'll probably find that you don't even need an extra amp.

midfiguy
01-19-2005, 04:31 AM
Agreed, even if you have a crappy $150 Sony DD/DTS reciever, the difference over any prologic reciever is startling! I remember the first time I heard DD in my HT, I was blown away, and that was with a cheap Pioneer reciever!!!

royphil345
01-19-2005, 04:51 AM
Didn't catch that he was still using a Pro-Logic receiver. First things first!!!

benjie2000
01-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Thank you for the reply on the "Pre out" question. I am now more confident that I do need a new receiver.
What receiver will you recomment for a budget of $2500 CDN ?

Woochifer
01-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Thank you for the reply on the "Pre out" question. I am now more confident that I do need a new receiver.
What receiver will you recomment for a budget of $2500 CDN ?

You got a few options around your price range. That budget is fairly generous, but it's also somewhat of a blackhole, given that the midlevel receivers leave off around $1,200USD, and the flagship models pick up around $2,500USD. Since you're looking into external amps, you could go with a receiver with a robust amp section like the new Rotel RSX-1067 or the upcoming Denon AVR-4806. Other options out there from Onkyo/Integra, Marantz, and NAD. Or you could go with a midlevel receiver with preouts, and add a two or three channel amp. Lots of options.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_1/rotel-rsx-1067-receiver-1-2005.html