Anyone want to help a Newbie out? - a/v receivers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to help a Newbie out? - a/v receivers

Rav
01-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Ok I am going to do my best to describe what I would like to do, but being new to all this I am sure I will leave something out. I have decided it is time to start building a home theater system piece by piece and have spent the past couple weeks trying to thoroughly understand what is out there as far as a/v receivers go (since they are the heart of everything).

I have come to the conclusion that there is so much out there I might as well solicit the opinions of people who know more about this than I do :) That being said, here is what I am looking for: I would like a receiver that I won't have to upgrade in a year or two because it is obsolete. I would eventually like to get to 7.1 but probably will not start out with it. I would like to have the up conversion to component if at all possible. Since I know nothing about this stuff the auto-configuration features will probably be necessary to get me started as well. I will most likely be hooking up my DVD player (sony), VCR (Magnavox), Tivo (hughes), and possibly a console gaming device to the receiver. I would like a receiver that does movies well but doesn't sacrifice MUSIC in the process!

After browsing through these forums and countless other sites I have recognized the following as possible canidates based on reviews and functionality:

Higher priced
--------------------
Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K
Yamaha V2400
Denon 2805

Lower priced
--------------------
Pioneer VSX-D914-K
Yamaha RX-V650

Probably a pipe dream (i'm a sucker for the ethernet capability) :p
--------------------
Onkyo TX-NR901

Can anyone please weigh in on the possibilites I have listed above and any others you all might think fit? As I have said, I have not owned a receiver in the past so I have no concept of what brands are better out there, nor do I have brand loyalty at this point.

Thanks in advance for wading through this long post!

--Rav

shokhead
01-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Denon 2805 /3805

jaguars_fan
01-18-2005, 10:44 AM
http://audioholics.audioreview.com/amplification/a-v-receivers/PLS_2718crx.aspx

Consumers rating A/V receivers and a bunch more. You can sort by rating, price, manufacturer, etc.

Eric Z
01-18-2005, 04:04 PM
I have the Yamaha 5760- pretty much the same as the 650. I wanted something that could last longer than a couple years and still power my 5.1 system well. You can probably get it easily under $400 as well.

A couple tips-
*spend as much time you need to buy everything
*don't jump the gun and settle for something
*hindsight can be a killer- "only if i would have..."
*only get what you think you really need- techology is always improving- you'll always find something bigger and better.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Woochifer
01-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Out of the ones on that list, I would try and track down a Yamaha RX-V2400 simply because it's been discontinued and you should be able to get one for around $500-$600, if you can even find one. Out of the mass market brands out there, Yamaha's probably been the most consistent over the years with its product quality, and as far as I know, they still do most of their manufacturing in-house rather than outsourcing the assembly.

With Yamaha though, be VERY careful about who you buy it from. They are very strict about enforcing their warranty policies, and will not honor it if you buy from an unauthorized dealer. In a nutshell, if the receiver has a RX-V or RX-Z model number, it is NOT authorized for mail order or online sales, PERIOD. HTR series receivers are sold thru Best Buy, Sears, and some authorized online vendors.

The auto calibration functions are handy if you've never owned a home theater receiver before and just want plug-and-play convenience. But, once you're up and running, you should still acquire a SPL meter and test DVD so you can do a more precise setup on your own.

shokhead
01-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Out of the ones on that list, I would try and track down a Yamaha RX-V2400 simply because it's been discontinued and you should be able to get one for around $500-$600, if you can even find one. Out of the mass market brands out there, Yamaha's probably been the most consistent over the years with its product quality, and as far as I know, they still do most of their manufacturing in-house rather than outsourcing the assembly.

With Yamaha though, be VERY careful about who you buy it from. They are very strict about enforcing their warranty policies, and will not honor it if you buy from an unauthorized dealer. In a nutshell, if the receiver has a RX-V or RX-Z model number, it is NOT authorized for mail order or online sales, PERIOD. HTR series receivers are sold thru Best Buy, Sears, and some authorized online vendors.

The auto calibration functions are handy if you've never owned a home theater receiver before and just want plug-and-play convenience. But, once you're up and running, you should still acquire a SPL meter and test DVD so you can do a more precise setup on your own.

I always thought Yamaha and Sony lacked inputs and outputs except on there top models.

Woochifer
01-18-2005, 06:46 PM
I always thought Yamaha and Sony lacked inputs and outputs except on there top models.

Need to recheck your info. No receiver I'm aware of from anybody lacks inputs and outputs. You'd have nothing more than a tuner if that was the case.

drseid
01-19-2005, 03:01 AM
It is hard for *any* receiver (save for a handful that cost in the $4000+ range) to not sacrifice music in favor of HT... That said, many receivers can play music to levels that will satisfy most people.

I think you are on the right track with your choices... The Denon 2805 (and I personally would recommend the 3805 as someone else has already said) would seem to be the closest to what you are looking for...

Another possibility on sonics and ergonomics alone is the Marantz SR-7400 at a street price of about $800.

It has pretty much everything you are looking for except the auto sound calibration. The problem with this unit is it has a habit of breaking on you. I know, because it happened to me after only 5 months (it is still under warranty though). So if you are a bit of a risk taker on the possibility of breakage, than Marantz may just be what you are looking for... as it is extremely easy to use, has one of the best remotes on the market and offers plenty of clean power and all the latest processing options (uncluding component upconversion and circle surround II).

Good luck,

---Dave

Rav
01-19-2005, 04:21 AM
Thanks for all the info guys .. a couple of follow up questions ...

I was not aware of this .. thanks for the heads up! That being said, is there a HTR series receiver that is comparable to the V2400? I was not aware that the 2400 had been discontinued, and I was almost leaning toward that model. However I was going to go through an online retailer and I am now not sure if thats the best way since it would void the warrenty.

I think you are on the right track with your choices... The Denon 2805 (and I personally would recommend the 3805 as someone else has already said) would seem to be the closest to what you are looking for...

What are the biggest differences between the 2805 and the 3805? Some of the reviews I read said that the 3805 wasn't worth the extra money, but I'm having a hard time seeing what the main differences are. Thanks for the tip on the Marantz .. I'll look into the model you suggested.

drseid
01-19-2005, 05:33 AM
I think the main difference between the 2805 and 3805 is the 3805 uses Burr-Brown DACs (and the 2805 does not). The other differences are minor (120 watts per channel Vs. 100...).

---Dave

Woochifer
01-19-2005, 11:17 AM
I was not aware of this .. thanks for the heads up! That being said, is there a HTR series receiver that is comparable to the V2400? I was not aware that the 2400 had been discontinued, and I was almost leaning toward that model. However I was going to go through an online retailer and I am now not sure if thats the best way since it would void the warrenty.

It's definitely not worth getting the RX-V2400 thru an online vendor since it's a discontinued model and most authorized dealers will likely bargain the price down especially since that model has been discontinued since October. There is no HTR equivalent model for all models from the 1400 and 2400 on up. Seems like you were limiting yourself to receivers that you can buy online. That would be a mistake since other manufacturers like Denon and Onkyo have similar warranty policies, and depending on how reasonable the price is, you can still deal down at a local retailer.

What are the biggest differences between the 2805 and the 3805? Some of the reviews I read said that the 3805 wasn't worth the extra money, but I'm having a hard time seeing what the main differences are.

More power, better DACs, more advanced auto calibration, more powerful processors. Whether or not all this makes a difference in sound quality is your assessment.

Rav
01-21-2005, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I was just trying to save some money by going online since it seems their prices are usually a lot better than retail stores. Guess that is out of the question now since most of these main manufacturers void their warrenties. Does anyone have an opinion on the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K? I have read some good things about it and if the 2400 is discontinued (and I can't find one) this might be another option for me. I don't know that I can afford the Denon 3805 after researching it.

mattldm
01-24-2005, 02:44 PM
My two choices would be a Denon or Marantz. I dont know how much you would like to spend, but these two companies offer a lot of choices.
Denon 2805 or Marantz 7500 (Less than $1000)
or the Denon 3805, Marantz 8500 (more than $1000)

shokhead
01-25-2005, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I was just trying to save some money by going online since it seems their prices are usually a lot better than retail stores. Guess that is out of the question now since most of these main manufacturers void their warrenties. Does anyone have an opinion on the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K? I have read some good things about it and if the 2400 is discontinued (and I can't find one) this might be another option for me. I don't know that I can afford the Denon 3805 after researching it.

www.dakmart.com

Rav
01-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the link Shok -

one more question ... if the Yamaha V2400 was discontinued .. did they replace it with a certain model number? ie - is the V2500 or V1500 comparable? Thanks again for all the input!

SAPSEC
01-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Pionner Ellite TX-59I
Yamaha RXV-2500 or RX-Z9

These babies will be good for next 5 years !

umapet97
01-26-2005, 06:30 AM
If you can do it,I suggest the 3805.May seem like a lot of money right now but this receiver isnt going to be outdated for a while.
I use mine for all the gaming(prologic2 games sound great),has all the video conversion jacks you could ask for,4-5 optical,and if you are really into the music has a "pure-direct" on it that shuts off all the useless lights,etc for better signal.
Has every conceivable sound format you could ask for(minus THX).
Best part there is an optional microphone that calibrates(does a decent job) the speakers through room acoustic measures.
Save the money an extra coupla weeks and check this out,you wont be disappointed.

kexodusc
01-26-2005, 07:50 AM
There is no HTR equivalent model for all models from the 1400 and 2400 on up. Seems like you were limiting yourself to receivers that you can buy online.

Wooch, this isn't totally correct, the HTR-5790 is as close to a match to the 1400 as you can get, much like the HTR-5590 was the same as the 1300 without pre-outs. The 5790 has pre-outs though. Different chassis but otherwise the same features. I seem to recall the controls are tiny bit different but the functionality is the same. The 2400 stands alone to my knowledge.

bargainseeker
01-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I was just trying to save some money by going online since it seems their prices are usually a lot better than retail stores. Guess that is out of the question now since most of these main manufacturers void their warrenties.The fact that some online retailers are unauthorized is not a reason to avoid all online retailers when buying a receiver. However, it is a reason to make sure that the online dealer you are buying from is on the manufacturer's authorized dealer list so that you are covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Even if you limit yourself to authorized online dealers (as you should), you can almost always get a better deal online than you can from local retailers.

Here are the authorized online dealer lists for some popular receiver brands:

Denon Authorized Online E-Tailers (http://www.usa.denon.com/dealers/dealers.asp?l=1) (click on link or scroll down)

Onkyo Authorized Internet Dealers (http://www.onkyousa.com/locations_intdealer.cfm)

Pioneer Authorized Internet Dealers (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_3125_73813286,00.html)

Yamaha Authorized Internet Retailers (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/dealer.aspx) (at the bottom of the page)

Rav
01-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Wooch, this isn't totally correct, the HTR-5790 is as close to a match to the 1400 as you can get, much like the HTR-5590 was the same as the 1300 without pre-outs. The 5790 has pre-outs though. Different chassis but otherwise the same features. I seem to recall the controls are tiny bit different but the functionality is the same. The 2400 stands alone to my knowledge.

Thanks for the info Kex! Do you know what model replaced the 2400? Was it the 2500?

The fact that some online retailers are unauthorized is not a reason to avoid all online retailers when buying a receiver. However, it is a reason to make sure that the online dealer you are buying from is on the manufacturer's authorized dealer list so that you are covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Even if you limit yourself to authorized online dealers (as you should), you can almost always get a better deal online than you can from local retailers.

Here are the authorized online dealer lists for some popular receiver brands:

Denon Authorized Online E-Tailers (click on link or scroll down)

Onkyo Authorized Internet Dealers

Pioneer Authorized Internet Dealers

Yamaha Authorized Internet Retailers (at the bottom of the page)

Thanks for the info Bargain .. once I found out that there were only a select authorized online dealers I started to check them out, but it seemed that their prices were still at the MSRP for most of the receivers. Maybe I am looking at it wrong ... :confused:

kexodusc
01-26-2005, 08:53 AM
The 2500 is the replacement to the 2400...The 1400/5790 or 1500 should be enough receiver for your needs.
Keep searching, J&R among others are authorized to sell the HTR line via the internet and generally offer good pricing.
Personally, I feel the HTR-5760 and RX-V650/750 are the best values out there today, and probably more than enough for what you are looking to accomplish.
Tons of good a/v receivers out there though...good luck.

f0rge
01-26-2005, 11:06 AM
if you're looking for something that will last many years, find one with 5-6 component video inputs, i learned the hard way that 2 isnt enough, mind you my yamaha is 2 years old now.

bargainseeker
01-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the info Bargain .. once I found out that there were only a select authorized online dealers I started to check them out, but it seemed that their prices were still at the MSRP for most of the receivers. Maybe I am looking at it wrong ... :confused:In many cases online dealers are not allowed to advertise a price that's lower than MSRP. Some do in fact sell receivers at MSRP. Others sell them for less but have various ways to let you know that a better price exists. Look for an option that says "add to cart to see price" or "shopping cart special" or "email me the best price" to see the actual price of the receiver. You can also contact them by email or call them by phone to get the actual selling price.

Woochifer
01-26-2005, 12:35 PM

You're right, forgot about that! The 5790 is the first HTR model I've seen that looks way different from the equivalent RX-V model.

Woochifer
01-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Even if you limit yourself to authorized online dealers (as you should), you can almost always get a better deal online than you can from local retailers.

"Almost always"? Not true.

Most of the time from what I've seen, authorized online e-tailers will quote the list price, or the prevailing price that you see in retail stores. If anything, because you're dealing with a live person at a retail store, you have more leverage to negotiate down the price there. And if a website is indeed an authorized vendor, most retail stores will match the price anyway. Also, retail stores have in-store sales, financing deals, and coupon specials that I haven't seen as often thru authorized web vendors. I bought my receiver thru a local store during their semi-annual sale, and the price I got was lower than any price I found on the internet, including unauthorized vendors. I've seen similar bargains on closeouts and special purchase items. And you're getting all this with a full warranty and instant gratification.

If the website prices are significantly below what the retail stores are charging, then the odds are very good that you're looking at an unauthorized vendor.

shokhead
01-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Wow,i'm s shopper and get the best price and have never seen the lowest price at a store.Even open box not as cheap as the internet.

Rav
01-27-2005, 04:09 AM
The 2500 is the replacement to the 2400...The 1400/5790 or 1500 should be enough receiver for your needs.
Keep searching, J&R among others are authorized to sell the HTR line via the internet and generally offer good pricing.
Personally, I feel the HTR-5760 and RX-V650/750 are the best values out there today, and probably more than enough for what you are looking to accomplish.
Tons of good a/v receivers out there though...good luck.

Thanks for the confirmation on the 2500 and the advice on the 5760 .. I will check out the HTR line .. up to this point i had only looked at the RX-V series.

Most of the time from what I've seen, authorized online e-tailers will quote the list price, or the prevailing price that you see in retail stores.

This has been my experience as well in looking at the online etailers .. however I will go back and check out what bargain has said about adding the item to the cart and seeing if it makes a difference.

shokhead
01-27-2005, 06:10 AM
www.shopping.com

Woochifer
01-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Wow,i'm s shopper and get the best price and have never seen the lowest price at a store.Even open box not as cheap as the internet.

That's because the lowest prices you see on the internet are offered by unauthorized vendors most of the time. You're not comparing apples to apples, since the authorized unit comes with a factory warranty and assurance that it came directly from the manufacturer, while an unauthorized unit does not come with those assurances.

shokhead
01-27-2005, 05:25 PM
For instance. Cheapest i could find a 2805 was $799 at a retail store. Cheapest online was from a place that claimed it was authorized dealer but wasnt,it was 641 shipped. I ended up from a n authorized bstock dealer for $671 shipped.

Rav
03-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Sorry to dig this old topic back up ... but I wanted to give an update:

Since all the input I received here I decided to go with the RX-V2400 however after calling around to retail authorized dealers and looking online at the authorized internet dealers I have come to the conclusion that I won't be able to find this anymore.

So I now I am faced with the following:

1) Buy the RX-V1500. I was told the RX-V1500 was the same as the V2400 by one of the stores I talked to. Looking at the comparison charts on yamaha's website I am not sure it is.

2) Spend the extra money to get the RX-V2500. Was told this was again basically the V2400 with a couple upgrades. I really don't want to shell out $1000.

3) Get the HTR-5790. This from all outward appearances is again similar to the V2400 but I don't know much about the differences in the lines. Can someone shed a light on this?

4) Turn my attention to either the Pioneer 1014K or Onyko SR702.

Anyone have a suggestion on a course of action. I guess I could always get the V2400 from an unauthorized dealer but that means no warrenty and I don't think i want to do that either.

Much thanks!

godfatherofsoul
03-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Sorry to dig this old topic back up ... but I wanted to give an update:

Since all the input I received here I decided to go with the RX-V2400 however after calling around to retail authorized dealers and looking online at the authorized internet dealers I have come to the conclusion that I won't be able to find this anymore.

So I now I am faced with the following:

1) Buy the RX-V1500. I was told the RX-V1500 was the same as the V2400 by one of the stores I talked to. Looking at the comparison charts on yamaha's website I am not sure it is.

2) Spend the extra money to get the RX-V2500. Was told this was again basically the V2400 with a couple upgrades. I really don't want to shell out $1000.

3) Get the HTR-5790. This from all outward appearances is again similar to the V2400 but I don't know much about the differences in the lines. Can someone shed a light on this?

4) Turn my attention to either the Pioneer 1014K or Onyko SR702.

Anyone have a suggestion on a course of action. I guess I could always get the V2400 from an unauthorized dealer but that means no warrenty and I don't think i want to do that either.

Much thanks!
The 1500 is pretty much the same as the 2400. It has the rs232 port on the back and handles the upconversion (transcoding if you want to get technical) to component but only has two component video inputs and the 2500 has three.
I like Yamaha (I own three) but I do think the Denon 2805 is a better buy than the 1500. This flies in the face of everything I have done in the past, but I sell them both and the best bet to me is the 2805. One BIG difference people overlook is the 2805 comes with a mic for auto-calibration and the 3805 does not. While this may not mean a lot, try explaining to someone why the more expensive piece does not come with a $60 mic!
All are good choices - give one of them a home audition and try it out. Most retailers (mine included) have a 30 day return period and mine even has a 120 day upgrade policy. If a retailer charges a re-stocking fee, go somewhere else.
Cheers

Almost forgot... Yamaha says on their website that their is no difference in "equivalent" HTR and RXV receivers. HTR series is sold through mass retailers like Best Buy and RXV is sold through smaller retailers like Tweeter.

kexodusc
03-10-2005, 04:46 AM
I like Yamaha (I own three) but I do think the Denon 2805 is a better buy than the 1500. .

I'm curious...I've listened to both quite a bit recently and I can't say that one sounded any better than the other (in fact they sounded very similar, a trend in a/v receivers IMO)...they are both very nice sounding a/v receivers with tons of goodies, but I've always seen the 1500 $50 to $100 cheaper, and it has a bigger power supply unit (not that this small difference will even be meaninful), and more sturdy chassis (IMO), and of course Yamaha's quality track record (not that I doubt the quality in the Denon). What about the 2805 do you like that you'd recommend it over the 1500?
Most of the stores I've visited really don't like the 2805 at it's price point at all and don't even carry it, opting for the 3805 instead.

Rav
03-10-2005, 10:00 AM
The 1500 is pretty much the same as the 2400. It has the rs232 port on the back and handles the upconversion (transcoding if you want to get technical) to component but only has two component video inputs and the 2500 has three.
I like Yamaha (I own three) but I do think the Denon 2805 is a better buy than the 1500. This flies in the face of everything I have done in the past, but I sell them both and the best bet to me is the 2805. One BIG difference people overlook is the 2805 comes with a mic for auto-calibration and the 3805 does not. While this may not mean a lot, try explaining to someone why the more expensive piece does not come with a $60 mic!
All are good choices - give one of them a home audition and try it out. Most retailers (mine included) have a 30 day return period and mine even has a 120 day upgrade policy. If a retailer charges a re-stocking fee, go somewhere else.
Cheers

Almost forgot... Yamaha says on their website that their is no difference in "equivalent" HTR and RXV receivers. HTR series is sold through mass retailers like Best Buy and RXV is sold through smaller retailers like Tweeter.

Thanks for the info on the yammies. I guess I will turn my attention to either the HTR6790 or the RX-V1500. Anyone know how the Pioneer 1014 and Onyko 702 compare to the 1500 from yamaha?

Rock789
03-12-2005, 03:58 PM
I too have recently started looking for a home theater, and have been looking for recievers under $1000...
here is what I have found, I can give you info on the places if you would like (these are all from area stores I have visited):

Denon AVR-2805 $765
Denon AVR-3805 $999
Integra DTR-5.5 $699 (high end onyko I was told) *this is my #2 pick currently
Integra DTR-6.5 $999
NAD T743 $699 *this is my #3 pick currently
NAD T753 $999
Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX $700
Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX $850 *this is my #1 pick currently

I see many people on this site like yamaha, so does one of my friend, but two other friends have had bad luck with yamaha which is why I have not looked at yamaha recievers...

The Integra was the last reciever I looked at, and it was very nice... I may end up going with the DTR-5.5... they had it on a set of klipsch, and they sounded very nice, just a little muddy in the midrange which I am assuming was due to the speakers being brand new and not yet broken in.

I may have missed it, but what speakers are you going to use?
I really like the Focal JMlab Chorus 716 S speakers, but close behind are the Klipsch RF-35 speakers (which I want to hear again after they have been broken in at the local shop)

I hope this helps,
Mike

Rav
03-14-2005, 09:24 AM
I too have recently started looking for a home theater, and have been looking for recievers under $1000...
here is what I have found, I can give you info on the places if you would like (these are all from area stores I have visited):

Denon AVR-2805 $765
Denon AVR-3805 $999
Integra DTR-5.5 $699 (high end onyko I was told) *this is my #2 pick currently
Integra DTR-6.5 $999
NAD T743 $699 *this is my #3 pick currently
NAD T753 $999
Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX $700
Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX $850 *this is my #1 pick currently

I see many people on this site like yamaha, so does one of my friend, but two other friends have had bad luck with yamaha which is why I have not looked at yamaha recievers...

The Integra was the last reciever I looked at, and it was very nice... I may end up going with the DTR-5.5... they had it on a set of klipsch, and they sounded very nice, just a little muddy in the midrange which I am assuming was due to the speakers being brand new and not yet broken in.

I may have missed it, but what speakers are you going to use?
I really like the Focal JMlab Chorus 716 S speakers, but close behind are the Klipsch RF-35 speakers (which I want to hear again after they have been broken in at the local shop)

I hope this helps,
Mike

Thanks for the input Mike. I honestly have not even thought about speakers yet. Trying to decide on a receiver has been enough brain overload for me :) I had seen the Pioneer Elite mentioned a couple of times but I think it may be slightly more than i want to spend. I was hoping to keep it around $600, but more and more I'm begining to wonder if the Yamaha V2500 isn't worth the extra expense. And if that's the case I would have to take a serious look at the Pioneer Elite as well. I really had made up my mind on the RX-V2400 but now Im having a hard time figuring out if the 1500, 2500, or HTR-5790 are even close to the 2400. It's enough to make someone not really familiar with all this have an anurism ;)

Rock789
03-14-2005, 03:10 PM
I know what you mean...
I have listened to more speakers than I can remember...

everyone likes different speakers, but here's my fav 5
#1 Focal JMlab Chorus 716 S
#2 Klipsch RF-35
#3 Phase Technology V-12
#4 M&K Sound S-150 THX
#5 Mirage OM-9

let me know what speakers you like when you start looking,
Mike

godfatherofsoul
03-15-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm curious...I've listened to both quite a bit recently and I can't say that one sounded any better than the other (in fact they sounded very similar, a trend in a/v receivers IMO)...they are both very nice sounding a/v receivers with tons of goodies, but I've always seen the 1500 $50 to $100 cheaper, and it has a bigger power supply unit (not that this small difference will even be meaninful), and more sturdy chassis (IMO), and of course Yamaha's quality track record (not that I doubt the quality in the Denon). What about the 2805 do you like that you'd recommend it over the 1500?
Most of the stores I've visited really don't like the 2805 at it's price point at all and don't even carry it, opting for the 3805 instead.
Sorry it takes me so long to respond. I'm trying to move...
I work in a retailer with dedicated sound rooms and speakers like Sonus Faber, Polk (LSI and RTI), Mirage and Martin Logan. I spend a few hours a day listening to new demo material and speakers and I have A/B'ed the heck out of the 3805, 2805, the RXV 1500 and the RXV2500. The 2805 seems (IMO) to have a richer sound on all the speakers. The highs are crisp and the lows are powerful. That being said, I know all speakers are different and they are the most important part of your system. But I like to match receivers and speakers. The 2805 seems to go better with all of our speakers and sounds no different than the 3805. The 2805 has the same Burr Brown DACs as the 3805 and only a few less features. I would just spend less to get more for my money.
Don't get me wrong, I love the 3805 but ask your retailers why the it retails for $200 more than the RXV2500. I know they make more money from the 3805 but is it really that much better?
Cheers

Rav
03-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Well I think I may go with the V1500 - for all my comparisons to the V2400 it looks like the exact same unit with the exception of the 2400 having S-Video to zone 2 where the 1500 has audio only. The 2400 also seems to have 2 DSP processors and additional IT ports and Trigger Outputs (not sure what these are for). Everything else seems to be identical.

I do have one other thought that I would like your opinions on. Yamaha's warrenty on it's receivers is 2 years. Some of the "unauthorized" internet sites that sell these receivers also sell extended warrenties through 3rd party vendors for around 60-90 dollars for 2 years. Even with adding this in to the price of the receiver it would still be 100-150 less than most retail stores I have seen.

My question is ... what would your opinions be on saving the extra money and getting a 2 year warrenty through a 3rd party place rather than buying at an authorized location and getting the 2 year standard yamaha warrenty?

Rock789
03-16-2005, 07:00 AM
Make sure this 2 year warrenty you purchase will cover firmware updates if the reciever you get can be upgraded.