new speakers for my marantz [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new speakers for my marantz

hhamilton05
01-17-2005, 08:56 PM
hello.

im looking to get some new speakers for my marantz 2270 (perfect working condition, in wood box...)

i want to get some bookshelf speakers. does anyone have any suggestions. i dont really want to break the bank, if i could keep it around $500 or so.

im replacing some Ohm C2's that finally bit the dust.....

drseid
01-18-2005, 03:17 AM
hello.

im looking to get some new speakers for my marantz 2270 (perfect working condition, in wood box...)

i want to get some bookshelf speakers. does anyone have any suggestions. i dont really want to break the bank, if i could keep it around $500 or so.

At that price point I would definitely look at the Tyler Acoustics Freedom line, model F1 ($525/pr.).

Tyler uses top quality parts and drivers in these, and they are sold Internet direct only through home audition. The Tyler web page is www.tyleracoustics.com (FYI: I have no affiliation with Tyler except being an owner).

---Dave

bargainseeker
01-18-2005, 07:22 AM
i want to get some bookshelf speakers. does anyone have any suggestions. i dont really want to break the bank, if i could keep it around $500 or so.I assume you mean $500 per pair?

In that price range, I would recommend the Energy C-3 (http://www.energy-speakers.com/connoisseur/connoisseur_speakers1_c-3.html), the Swan 2.1 in Rosewood (http://www.theaudioinsider.com/cgi-bin/theaudioinsider/SW2.1.html) and the Axiom M22ti (http://www.axiomaudio.com/m22ti.html).

texlle
01-18-2005, 08:45 AM
I would also recommend the B&W DM602s3. And always, if you want other options, always check www.audiogon.com for used equipment :).

SAPSEC
01-18-2005, 09:10 AM
I suggest either BW 303 or 600 or KEF Q1.

topspeed
01-18-2005, 12:47 PM
If have my 2230 pushing a pair of these Von Schweikert VR-1's (http://vonschweikert.com/vr1.html) and think it sounds astonishing. I demo'd JM Lab Chorus', DefTech PM's, Paradigm Studio's, B&W 6 series, Epos, etc. before I ran across these little gems. For under $1k, they are unrivaled in my experience, especially in the bass department. They work very, very well with vintage Marantz receivers and are an easy load with good efficiency. You can find them on Audiogon.com for about your price range, but be ready to pull the trigger because they don't last more than a few days when they come available. Most dealers will also discount off the the msrp like mine did. Like you, I didn't want to spend more than $500, but to my ears the additional $200 was well worth the difference in performance.

fahertyps
01-18-2005, 06:54 PM
hello.

I bought the MA Bronze 2 (B2) a few months back after several fols in this Forum recommended them. I was leaning toward another pair of Paradigms, but need a front ported speaker since these were going in bookshelves. Research them, I am very happy with them. Call the guys at Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago for great pricing. They beat my local retailer.

SF

Abel Wingnut
06-16-2006, 07:03 AM
I'm in a similar situation, except I'm looking for floorstanding speakers. Any suggestions?

Edit: Also, I don't plan on getting a subwoofer, so these will provide all the bass as well.

RoyY51
06-16-2006, 07:39 AM
I second the Monitor Audio B2's. They sound great with my Marantz SR780 and SR7200. I actually prefer the Marantz-MA2 combination over my current Nad T763 mated with these speakers. Much better bass and warmth. The bottom end on these speakers is rated at 42 Hz, but it sounds like it goes even lower.

njspeer
06-16-2006, 03:38 PM
A pair of vintage Bose 901s should be a good match for your vintage receiver. I would recommend the series I or series II. You should be able to pick up a pair for $250 - $350.

If you do decide to go with a pair of 901s, try to buy locally, or you'll pay an extra $80 for shipping. I.e. try eBay and Craigslist. Also, make sure they have the active equalizer, or you'll have to buy one on eBay for $150. And if possible try to get a pair with stands; that will save you about $140.

I currently have a pair of series IIs hooked up to my vintage receiver (Sasui 9090db). If you have enough power, I don't think you can beat them for the money. And if you buy a pair and don't like them, they are very easy to sell.