Cartridge Problem? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge Problem?

newlpguy
01-17-2005, 07:09 PM
I just eBayed a Denon DP-23F turntable with a Grado Black cartridge installed and I have it connected to the phono pre-amp of a Sony STR-D990. I aligned the cartridge, but fairly high level clear tones, like vocals and horns, seem to be clipping (badly), regardless if I use tracking force of anywhere from 1 to 3g (Grado recommends 1.5). The input signal doesn't appear to be too high - I monitor it via the line input meter of the D990 and also a patched spectrum analyzer - looks like it has significant headroom. Both the table and the cartridge came together (used) from the previous owner and the stylus arm (from the cartridge to the stylus) was curved in the horizontal axis, so I straightened it when I heard the distortion, but no improvement was heard. Is my cartridge damaged? Do I risk damage to my LP collection until I replace it?

royphil345
01-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Any time the cantilever is bent, it's necessary to replace the stylus or risk record damage. Sounds like the stylus may be worn out as well. I've bought a couple of turntables on e-Bay and always change the stylus or cartridge before using them. My records are too important to take a seller's word for it that the stylus is good. They still make the Grado Black so stylus replacement shouldn't be a problem. I'm still lovin' my Shure M97xE. Would recommend one as an upgrade to the Grado Black if you're willing to spend a bit more.

risabet
01-18-2005, 12:07 AM
I just eBayed a Denon DP-23F turntable with a Grado Black cartridge installed and I have it connected to the phono pre-amp of a Sony STR-D990. I aligned the cartridge, but fairly high level clear tones, like vocals and horns, seem to be clipping (badly), regardless if I use tracking force of anywhere from 1 to 3g (Grado recommends 1.5). The input signal doesn't appear to be too high - I monitor it via the line input meter of the D990 and also a patched spectrum analyzer - looks like it has significant headroom. Both the table and the cartridge came together (used) from the previous owner and the stylus arm (from the cartridge to the stylus) was curved in the horizontal axis, so I straightened it when I heard the distortion, but no improvement was heard. Is my cartridge damaged? Do I risk damage to my LP collection until I replace it?

Stop playing the cartridge. The cantilever (stylus arm) is bent and you could certainly damage your records. Luckily, the Grado Black has a replacable stylus which you can get one from a local dealer or from <a href=theneedledoctor.com> The Needle Doctor</a>
I know of no way to straighten a bent cantilever. Good luck

Ray H
01-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Listen to risabet! Cantilevers are both delicate and "brittle" (treated for stiffness to maximize transfer of energy to the moving iron structure). Once bent, even if you do manage to "straighten" it by apparent "eyeball alignment" without outright snapping it, a> the needle will still be out of precise original alignment to the groove wall in relation to tracking, and b> the cantilever, once weakened with the initial and subsequent "correction" bends, is a permanent groove wall damaging catastrophe waiting to happen without warning. The replacement cost for a Grado "Black" stylus is only $20.00. (Hint - consider the "Green"'s stylus for $30.00 as an upgrade. I believe you could go at least as high as the "Red"'s stylus for $55.00 as a significant upgrade.* Only the "Silver" and "Gold" cartridge models get into an actual change in the cartridge bodies - and at that, merely the wire used to wind the coils in the generator assembly - from "high purity oxygen free" copper wire to "ultra-high purity long crystal oxygen free" copper wire. (That and the visually identifying gold-tone of the Grado Gold's metal cartridge body vs. the silvery-tone of the "lesser" models.) The chief difference in the various Grado Prestige series styli is in the cantilevers - all use an elliptical stylus mounted to a brass bushing. The changes in the various cantilvers - from three-piece to four-piece deliver progressively faster response, higher frequency response, and bass extension as you go up the price range.)

*I was recently tempted recently to try a Grado "Black" and a replacement "Gold"'s stylus (keeping the "Black"'s stylus for emergencies) as a cheap foray into Grado's best Prestige offering. But, then I backed off when I read that Rega turntables' excellent but unshielded synchronous AC motors cause induced hum when used with Grado high output moving iron cartridges as the tonearm traverses closer to the center spindle.

Analoguer
01-31-2005, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=
*I was recently tempted recently to try a Grado "Black" and a replacement "Gold"'s stylus (keeping the "Black"'s stylus for emergencies) as a cheap foray into Grado's best Prestige offering. But, then I backed off when I read that Rega turntables' excellent but unshielded synchronous AC motors cause induced hum when used with Grado high output moving iron cartridges as the tonearm traverses closer to the center spindle.[/QUOTE]

One thing is VERY important when using a Grado, is making sure(shure?!) the headshell leads are 100% and all your grounding is secure. Had a problem recently when I trashed my Gold's stylus and got a "green" replacement as a stop gap. Erk! The dreaded hum - never had it before.
TCLSS, discovered one of the leads was not 100%, replaced it(keep spares!), no more hum! By the way, try using the green stylus in the Black - or any of the Grados or that matter - especially if you like Rock/Pop etc, but not so good for Classical and the stereo image contacts a bit - at least in my Akito. If the path is in good shape there won't be any hum except at irate neighbour sound levels!

newlpguy
02-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Hey, thanks guys - you are all correct. I replaced the Grado, and WOW, what a difference! I replaced the whole cart because, with such a bent cantilever, I wasn't sure what else might not be right, so I thought I'd better start fresh.
I am now a vinyl believer. This setup has better soundstaging than anything digital I've put through my system.
Thanks, too, for the idea on a higher end, but compatible, Grado stylus. That's a good idea. I'll probably try that when I want to improve it more. I'm very impressed for this being Grado's bottom-of-the-line, so to speak. Yep, it's shy on the low end, but I can compensate with the EQ and the detail and soundstaging is great at that price!
Thanks again for all the advice!
newlpguy