New Beck rec [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Beck rec

MindGoneHaywire
01-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Just listened to what I presume will be the new Beck album. I was a little apprehensive given some of the stuff I could've done without on Midnite Vultures, but this is mostly much better than that. While I think Odelay's real good, I just think his recs like Mutations & Sea Change are him at his best. I realize most of the rest of the planet disagrees with me on this (well, maybe that's an exaggeration), so take this with a grain of salt, I guess, but this is, on the first couple of listens, at least equal to Odelay & possibly better. If there'll be a knock--and it won't be from me--it'll be that this is Odelay mark II, which is something that I don't think was said much about Midnite Vultures. I don't know if what I heard is the final version of the album, but I can happily report that if it's anything like this, it's a winner.

nobody
01-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Don't know if we heard the same thing or not, but I'm liking what I heard. It sounds to me like he kinda returned to Odelay, but brought some of the acoustic sensibilities from his last couple along for the right. More laid back than Odelay too. Sounds like he's going for yet another reinvention. Unless what I've heard is vastly different than what the final release is, he's at least keeping hold of this fan in the process.

Mike
01-18-2005, 01:01 AM
Just listened to what I presume will be the new Beck album. I was a little apprehensive given some of the stuff I could've done without on Midnite Vultures, but this is mostly much better than that. While I think Odelay's real good, I just think his recs like Mutations & Sea Change are him at his best. I realize most of the rest of the planet disagrees with me on this (well, maybe that's an exaggeration), so take this with a grain of salt, I guess, but this is, on the first couple of listens, at least equal to Odelay & possibly better. If there'll be a knock--and it won't be from me--it'll be that this is Odelay mark II, which is something that I don't think was said much about Midnite Vultures. I don't know if what I heard is the final version of the album, but I can happily report that if it's anything like this, it's a winner.

I'm with you on Mutations and Sea Change as some of Becks best work yet particularly his work on Sea Change with producer Nigel Godrich. As for Midnight Vultures it was ok but it didn't do much for me either overall, kind of like Beck messing about for the sake of it.

I've been looking forward to this album for a while now and it's been put back at least once or twice as far as I can tell. When you listen to his very early albums he's an artist who has had an incredible transformation and somehow he gets away with it each time to the point where it's now expected he'll try something new.

Cheers
Mike