JBL L-100 versus Pioneer HPM-100 Speakers ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JBL L-100 versus Pioneer HPM-100 Speakers ?

CharlieBee
01-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Well this forum and you guys are the cause. After reading the forum reviews I had a chance to purchase a nice pair of Pioneer HPM 100 speakers from a friend. I needed better speakers to go with my vintage Sanusi 9090dp I recently picked up at a garage sale. I have had them about a month and they are much better than my old Sanusi 2500x speakers, especially the bass.

Well Friday I found a pair of JBL L-100 in the paper classified ads, too cheap to turn down and got them. The cases are not in as great shape but operational they are great. They have black replacement foam covers and one messed up connector but I fixed that. I saw they were highly rated too. I have not had a chance to run a contest but thought I would get forum opinions as to the best of these two highly reviewed vintage speakers.

So how would you rate them?

Charlie

markw
01-17-2005, 04:49 AM
My recollections of those smoky daze 30 years ago tells me that I prefered the JBL at the time. Punchier mid bass, more mids and highs. The speaker of choice for a whole generation of rockers in the early 70's, particularly when mated to a Marantz 2270 or something similar. DSOTM sounded great.

Of course, times and tastes change and my preferences might be different today.

E-Stat
01-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Well Friday I found a pair of JBL L-100 in the paper classified ads, too cheap to turn down and got them... I have not had a chance to run a contest but thought I would get forum opinions as to the best of these two highly reviewed vintage speakers.

So how would you rate them?
The Centuries were the poster child for the "west coast" sound. Their response was intentionally boosted in the mid bass and upper highs. Neutral they are not, but were very popular with rock music.

rw

lutesk
01-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Years ago I had an 8080DB, and a friend had the JBL's. We hooked em up, and it was magic.

Fix em up, and you'll be in heaven.

20to20K
01-18-2005, 11:42 AM
When I was growing up as a kid my dad had the JBL Century L-100's paired with
a Marantz 2270 (and a vintage Dual turntable) and his system sounded great.
(I can still hear Santana's Abraxous and Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue)

I inherited his L100 when I became a teenager and he lost interest I I used them
for mids and highs to DJ parties. 20 years later they are still in his basement and
still sound great.

As mentioned...very boomy, but warm bass. Never thought of them as bright though...
at least not with the 2270. The 2270 is still down there too...I should check it out!

You got a great pair of speakers...I can't imagine ANYTHING pioneer could have
manufactured in way of speakers could compete. Even if you fix'm up and don't
like them, they will be really easy to sell on Ebay.

Kursun
01-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Many years ago a friend had the HPM 100 speakers. They had excellent sound. Enjoy them.

kelsci
01-19-2005, 02:49 PM
My friend is still using his pair of HPM-100s that he bought some 20 plus years ago. They were great then and they still are great now. They may be the best speaker that Pioneer ever manufactured. Kelsci

matt39
01-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi Charlie,

Both sets of speakers are quite good and which pair is better seems to be more a matter of your taste in sound than anything else. You might want to check audiokarma.org. Lots of JBL and Pioneer guys there. Might be right up your alley.

CharlieBee
01-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Matt39

Thanks for the info on the audiokarma site. There is a lot of information on Pioneer and Sansui gear at that site.

Still have not had my face off of L-100 vs HPM-100. I am still refinishing the L-100 walnut vineer case the previous owner messed up.

CharlieBee