Velodyne VX-10BV...is it a good sub or not...? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Velodyne VX-10BV...is it a good sub or not...?

Walterdude
01-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi im looking for a sub while i still have some money...
The problem is i can't spend to much on a sub as most of mu cash went on Pioneer Elite amp...so my question is :Velodyne VX-10BV...is it a good sub for a small room...and for a person who likes to play more muzic then movies?

bargainseeker
01-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi im looking for a sub while i still have some money...
The problem is i can't spend to much on a sub as most of mu cash went on Pioneer Elite amp...so my question is :Velodyne VX-10BV...is it a good sub for a small room...and for a person who likes to play more muzic then movies?I think the Velodyne VX-10 would work for your purposes. I do have an alternative, however, that I think is superior to the VX-10 for music performance in small rooms. That is the Energy S8.2 (http://www.energy-speakers.com/subwoofers/subwoofer_speakers_S8.html). Though this subwoofer would ordinarily be considerably more expensive than the VX-10, The Audioshop (http://www.audioshop.on.ca/energy.htm) now has some factory seconds available at a competitive price. I have bought products from Marc Hallam (mailto:marc@audioshop.on.ca) of The Audioshop in the past, always with excellent results. There are some reviews of the Energy S8.2 here (http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Energy_Take_S8_2/4505-7869_7-20814732-2.html?tag=top) and here (http://www.audioreview.com/Subwoofers/Energy+Loudspeakers/PRD_287203_2741crx.aspx).

jimmymagick
01-19-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm running the Velodynes in an 11' by 11' and I am extremely pleased.

I'm one of those old farts (my main speakers are 25-year-old studio monitors that I refuse to replace) who avoided buying a sub for as long as possible because I was afraid of the boomy sound it would add to music. After auditioning the Velodyne against several other subs, I found it to be the most discreet sounding speaker I heard in this size and price range.

I only wish I had brought it online--could have saved $100!

Good luck.

Lensman
01-19-2005, 09:11 PM
I've run a VX-10 in a large 14x24 room and been very pleased with it. I feel it is easily the best sounding non-DIY sub in the under $300 range range. It completely outclasses similarly priced offerings from the likes of Sony, Yamaha, Polk, Athena, etc. The VX-10 is routinely available for around $200 and I've even seen it as low as $119 at one point. At these prices its a steal.

The VX-10 isn't boomy at all, and bass is pleasantly quick and tight. This makes it an excellent choice for music. I've run it with two different sets of mains and it has integrated extremely well with both.

Of course a sub in this range isn't without limitations. For the VX-10 its sound pressure and extension. While pricier subs will drop into the mid to low 20s, the VX-10 is rated to flat 38hz (though in my room it actually went to about 35). This is no issue for music as very little musical signal extends below that, but some particularly demanding movies can reveal the limitation. And if you're looking for bass that literally hits you in the chest, keep looking. Not that the VX-10 is completely without punch - it is definitely capable of rattling every loose item in your room. It just won't hit you as hard as other, more expensive subs or cheaper one-note-bass subs will.

But what it does do, it does exceptionally well. In fact, I believe better than any other sub you can buy for the same money. So for your budget and listening preference, I'd definitely recommend it.

jimmymagick
01-20-2005, 08:40 AM
I agree with everything Lensman said (and he put it much more eloquently than I did) with one exception: in a room the size of mine--11 by 11--that 10-inch Velodyne will do a superb job of punching you in the gut and leave you gasping for air.

Definitely worth a listen--and you can't beat it for the price.