receiver choice. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : receiver choice.

uncooked
01-16-2005, 11:02 AM
I think im going to upgrade my receiver, now i have to choices, Yamaha htr-5760, or a pioneer vsx-1014.

I am a very happy yamaha customer and like there products alot but the pioneer is twice as heavy, alot bigger the reviews are AWSOME, its more similar to the 5790 then the 5760 and i can get it for roughly 500 canadian.

Heres the problem theres 1 pioneer left and i would have to buy it today, should i go for it? I heard on a review the pioneer can out out roughly 80 - 90 watts all channels driven while the yamaha can only do around 40 - 50. Also the pioneer has one of the best stereo direct modes? what do you guys think? should i snatch it up.

uncooked
01-16-2005, 11:06 AM
heres the yamaha

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/HTR_5760S.jsp

and heres the pioneer, notice the size difference, and all the extra features. I'am really liking the looks of the pioneer unless someone can change my mind with a problem it may have.

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_print.jsp?product_id=9168

woodman
01-16-2005, 11:16 AM
I think im going to upgrade my receiver, now i have to choices, Yamaha htr-5760, or a pioneer vsx-1014.

I am a very happy yamaha customer and like there products alot but the pioneer is twice as heavy, alot bigger the reviews are AWSOME, its more similar to the 5790 then the 5760 and i can get it for roughly 500 canadian.

Heres the problem theres 1 pioneer left and i would have to buy it today, should i go for it? I heard on a review the pioneer can out out roughly 80 - 90 watts all channels driven while the yamaha can only do around 40 - 50. Also the pioneer has one of the best stereo direct modes? what do you guys think? should i snatch it up.

No, I wouldn't. You can have "good luck" or "bad luck" with any electronic product, regardless of brand or model - it's a crapshoot in the final analysis, and you "pays your money, and take your chances". But I personally would not consider buying any receiver other than a Yamaha today .. period. Take this for what it's worth - an opinion (but an opinion that's based upon many, many years of working on the insides of these beasts).

Oh, and by the way - according to the research I've done, the Yamaha is the heavier of the two by 5 pounds (28 vs. 23) and is slightly LARGER as well. Pay very little - no, make that pay NO attention to "reviews" of products ... they're really quite meaningless in most cases.

Hope this helps you

uncooked
01-16-2005, 11:22 AM
the pioneer is actually around 20 Kilos, not the 15.4 it says on the site.

from what i have heard the pioneer has all the same insides as an elite. Looking inside the parts are pretty massive, looking in the yamaha there is alot of spare room and there not as large of components.

Also the pioneer draws 110 more watts from the wall then the yamaha, so that technically means its capable of putting out more.

I have a yamaha right now its a bit lower end then the 5760 "5650" but im not really happy with it, the 5650 doesnt seem to have enough power for me and the 5760 isnt really that much of a step up, only about 10 - 15 watts a channel, so if im not happy with the brand now i was thinking i should try something else?

this is the one i would be buying "black"

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=9549&taxonomy_id=62-98

and i can only get the yamaha in silver for some stupid reason.

markw
01-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Also the pioneer draws 110 more watts from the wall then the yamaha, so that technically means its capable of putting out more.A lot depends on the efficiency and type of circuitry used but if using this as a yardstick makes you feel better then go for it. It seems that you already had your mind made up and simply wanted validation.

NoMSG
02-13-2005, 05:05 PM
the pioneer is actually around 20 Kilos, not the 15.4 it says on the site.

from what i have heard the pioneer has all the same insides as an elite. Looking inside the parts are pretty massive, looking in the yamaha there is alot of spare room and there not as large of components.

Also the pioneer draws 110 more watts from the wall then the yamaha, so that technically means its capable of putting out more.

I have a yamaha right now its a bit lower end then the 5760 "5650" but im not really happy with it, the 5650 doesnt seem to have enough power for me and the 5760 isnt really that much of a step up, only about 10 - 15 watts a channel, so if im not happy with the brand now i was thinking i should try something else?

this is the one i would be buying "black"

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=9549&taxonomy_id=62-98

and i can only get the yamaha in silver for some stupid reason.

I'm also looking at the VSX-D1014. For the price, the consumer reviews seem too good to be true. Are there any professional reviews of this model?

uncooked
02-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Ive still got the unit hidden away so if i want it i can take it. If i was ACTUALLY in the market for buying a receiver i wouldnt even think twice, but i already have 2 and im just "thinking" about upgrading, you know how the audio bug is. Its just alot of money and i can see myself buying that and then saying "my speakers arent good enough i need better ones" Which is totally true but i dont want that to happen just yet.

The reviews on the unit are crazy, i have been playing around with the demo unit at work going through settings and everything and the unit is freeking crazy it has EVERYTHING. I dont know for sure but supposely the unit got bench tested and it put out over 90 watts a channel all driven for quite some time. Which is extremely good when other receivers are pushing 30 - 50 all driven.

MomurdA
02-17-2005, 09:22 AM
the rxv series from yamaha has better amplification than htr series. you might want to compare the pioneer with the RXV 650 or 550, maybe even 750. The 650 and 750 come with the auto setup microphone. Dont know if pioneer does or not.