Digital 5.1 inputs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Digital 5.1 inputs

r0lsen
01-16-2005, 09:55 AM
I have an older DVD player that has Dolby Digital but not DTS and it has Digital 5.1, my receiver has 5.1 inputs and DTS, My question is can I hook them up and play DTS DVD's or should I go out and buy a Progressive Scan DVD player with DTS and the whole works.
Thanks for any help.

My System: Not the best but I like it
Carver Cinema 5.2 spealer system
Sony KDF50WE655 HDTV
Sony STR DB940 Reciever
Sony DVP S5000

N. Abstentia
01-16-2005, 10:22 AM
If your DVD player has the analog 5.1 outputs to match the 5.1 inputs then grab 6 cables and you're good to go!

If it does not, you're out of luck since your current player does not have a DTS decoder so it won't work with the digital output.

r0lsen
01-16-2005, 11:28 AM
If your DVD player has the analog 5.1 outputs to match the 5.1 inputs then grab 6 cables and you're good to go!
So, then I hook it up to the regular S-video or Component (3 cable) to the TV? Do I need to hook up any other audio cables (digital, or other)?

Thanks

N. Abstentia
01-16-2005, 11:40 AM
If you have component (red, blue, green..NOT red, white, yellow!) then go component. However I find it very odd that your player would have component video but not a DTS decoder. That will handle the video side. The audio side will come from the 6 analog RCA cables that you'll need to connect to the receiver. You do not need the digital connection if you use the 6 RCA's.

NickWH
01-16-2005, 12:01 PM
He needs the digital audio connection if he wants to use the Dolby Digital decoder inside the receiver. If choosing between using the decoders in the player or in the receiver I always choose the decoders in the receiver. Especially in this case, because it sounds like an old DVD player. Many budget DVD players have component video outputs with no internal surround decoding.

r0lsen
01-16-2005, 01:08 PM
The DVD player was one of the first Sony around and has Dolby Digital but not DTS, my reciever has both. So what I guess I'm really asking is can I use my receiver's DTS decoder to listen to DTS DVD.

Rob

N. Abstentia
01-16-2005, 02:46 PM
I just realized I was telling you backwards...now I'm confused! You CAN'T do it with the 6 channel analog because that bypasses the DAC in the receiver and uses the one in the the DVD player..which in this case does not have DTS.

Is that right? Somebody? I'm giving myself a headache...

markw
01-16-2005, 02:48 PM
The DVD player was one of the first Sony around and has Dolby Digital but not DTS, my reciever has both. So what I guess I'm really asking is can I use my receiver's DTS decoder to listen to DTS DVD.

RobIf your receiver can decode both Dolby Digital and DTS, you can jettison those 5.1 analog interconnects between the DVD player and the receiver. One digital connection is all you need. As Nick suggested, let the receiver handle the decoding.

You may want to spend some time reading the manuals for both the DVD and the receiver to do this though.

r0lsen
01-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks for all your help, everyone. I have i all set up now with an optical cable. I haven't tried a DTS DVD yet, the little woman must watch her shows. I let you know if it all works out. Thanks

Rob