Expanding HT system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Expanding HT system

zplatoz
01-16-2005, 09:23 AM
I need some advice about adding surround speakers NHT-Superzeros xu to a Pioneer vsx 53TX receiver, B & K 125.3 ( 3 channel amp) NHT SB-3 left/right front channel, NHT SC-2 center channel, SVS PB-10 ISB subwoofer, Samsung HD981universal dvd player with upconversion capabilities, and Pioneer pdp 424 MV 42" Pro kit plasma monitor. The front and center channel will be driven by the B & K amp. The surrounds and suboofer will be driven by the Pioneer receiver. Recommended surrounds are either SB-1,SB-2, or SB-3. The superzeros are very small and unintrusive and nicely rated speakers. Any issues that I should be concern with in choosing these speakers as surrounds?

bargainseeker
01-16-2005, 06:18 PM
I need some advice about adding surround speakers NHT-Superzeros xu to a Pioneer vsx 53TX receiver, B & K 125.3 ( 3 channel amp) NHT SB-3 left/right front channel, NHT SC-2 center channel, SVS PB-10 ISB subwoofer, Samsung HD981universal dvd player with upconversion capabilities, and Pioneer pdp 424 MV 42" Pro kit plasma monitor. The front and center channel will be driven by the B & K amp. The surrounds and suboofer will be driven by the Pioneer receiver. Recommended surrounds are either SB-1,SB-2, or SB-3. The superzeros are very small and unintrusive and nicely rated speakers. Any issues that I should be concern with in choosing these speakers as surrounds?I don't think there are any major concerns. I expect that you will end up with an outstanding sounding system. Surround speakers are not as critical to stereo music listening and home theater as are the mains and center. Even for SACD and DVD-Audio use, I think that the Superzeros will sound similar enough to your other NHT speakers to create a seamless soundstage. You have chosen a subwoofer that can go high enough to cross over with the Superzeros.

The one issue you are likely to face is the choice of crossover frequency and how that will effect subwoofer placement. You will need to choose a fairly high crossover frequency to blend with the Superzeros. High enough that the subwoofer position will likely be localized. You may have to place the subwoofer between your mains to reduce this potential problem.

zplatoz
01-17-2005, 07:00 PM
BARGAINSEEKER,
Thanks for the advice. I did not know about this potential problem.Zero engineering background. I like the idea of a non--localized subwoofer. I may have to go with the SB-2/SB-3. I imagine this should eliminate this problem with these speakers?

Thanks
zplatoz

bargainseeker
01-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. I did not know about this potential problem.Zero engineering background. I like the idea of a non--localized subwoofer. I may have to go with the SB-2/SB-3. I imagine this should eliminate this problem with these speakers?Yes. Even the SB-1 speakers would not have this issue since they go down to 68Hz.