Did some auditioning.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did some auditioning....

newbsterv2
01-15-2005, 01:15 PM
.....today at the local hi-fi store today. I just wanted to tell everyone, newbies and the veterans, about my listening experience and what I thought about speakers, cd players, integrated amps, etc. There was a set of Joseph Audio RM25si's powered by a NAD c372 integrated amp as well as a nad c542 cd player. I fell in love with the sound immediately. I can honestly say that of ALL the speakers I've auditioned thus far that the Josephs really disappear nicely and let the music through. These speakers do cost $3,500 per pair but are well worth it in my opinion. They have such an openness in the midrange and a smooth but not buttery or etched treble that is just amazing. The funny part about this whole audition was how the salesperson told me that I quote "you'd be nuts to drive those speakers with that $700 NAD amp and $500 CD player. I was like OK show me something better I'm curious. So he hooks up this new Music Hall Mambo Class A integrated amp that costs like $1,300 to this $1,000 Music Hall SACD player and I'm waiting for all hell to break loose and be blown away and..........wouldn't you know? The sound was too bright and hard and totally unenjoyable. My point is that no matter WHAT a salesman says and how how the price tag is TRUST YOU EARS! I listened to a lot more expensive speakers than the Joseph's that I did not like at all. Another great speaker is the Joseph Audio RM7si. While it doesn't quite disappear like the 25's it still has a similar balance of frequencies to my ear at least. Just my $0.02 :)

texlle
01-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I have always heard good things about Joseph Audio, but I've never had the chance to audition them (no retailer anywhere near me). Glad you liked them, and surprisingly with the cheaper components!

Mark4583
01-16-2005, 04:29 AM
When I went to my local Klipsch dealer to audition the RF-35's he asked me what other speakers I was considering, Said I was going to listen to some Paradigm's and Axiom. he looked at me and said " Ive been in this buisness for 35 years and I have never heard of those"! plus he was asking $1100.00 for the RF-35's so needless to say I didnt go back.

N. Abstentia
01-16-2005, 04:56 AM
Anybody who's been in business for 35 years and has never heard of Paradigm or Axiom is either:

A) Totally clueless and out of touch, and obviously knows nothing about speakers.
B) Lying through his teeth and cannot be trusted.

Either way you did the right thing, steer clear of that moron.