Why does my PW-2200 v2....."pop" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why does my PW-2200 v2....."pop"

chicoaudio
01-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Last month I purchased a Paradigm PW-2200 v2 and it has been working great through the break in period, but lately on lower volume settings the subwoofer will make a "popping" sound. The noise only occurs for a split second. I have the sub connected to a Onkyo SR601 and because of room dimensions I am running a 48 foot subwoofer cable. I don't know if there is something wrong with the sub or at lower volume settings the first sub "frequency" causes the noise.

Any input would be helpful. Thank you.

cam
01-15-2005, 09:30 PM
I've had the pw-2200 v2 for about 10 months now and never have I had my sub pop. At low, medium, and even cranked volumes for extended periods I have never had my sub pop. All I get is basso poundo. Either your sub is defective which you should get it replaced right away, (3 years on the amp 5 years on the speaker) or maybe you are getting interference with other appliances in your house on the same circuit that your sub is plugged into.

Geoffcin
01-15-2005, 09:57 PM
Last month I purchased a Paradigm PW-2200 v2 and it has been working great through the break in period, but lately on lower volume settings the subwoofer will make a "popping" sound. The noise only occurs for a split second. I have the sub connected to a Onkyo SR601 and because of room dimensions I am running a 48 foot subwoofer cable. I don't know if there is something wrong with the sub or at lower volume settings the first sub "frequency" causes the noise.

Any input would be helpful. Thank you.

Then when it comes on the SERVO will cause a "pop" to be heard. This only happens once whe it turns on. My Velodynes do it when they come on and it's perfectly normal, this also let's you know the servo circuit is engaged.

N. Abstentia
01-16-2005, 04:59 AM
The PW-2200 is not a servo sub!

I'll agree with cam, you either have electrical problems or the amp/sub itself could be having a problem. Either way, get in touch with the dealer where you bought it. You could at least take it up there and hook it up to see if it does it there, that way they can take care of it for you.

kexodusc
01-16-2005, 06:42 AM
My PW-2200, and the PW-2100 I had briefly both popped when picking up the signal first...come to think of it...every sub I've ever owned as popped to varying degrees of loudness. I'm not sure this is unique to "Servo" designs only.
As for Chicoaudio's problem, I'd err on the side of caution and talk to your dealer...they should be able to at least determine if the sub is your problem, or something else.

Fred7
01-18-2005, 05:43 PM
I have a PW-2200 v1 and a PW-2200 v2. The v1 does not pop when first coming on. The v2 makes a pop when it first turns on. This is normal. The v2 has a vastly different amplifier than the v1. The v2 has a more powerful class D amp. When I first got it I was concerned because the v1 never popped so I emailed Paradigm and they said that it is normal. Also, the amp on the v2 stays warm all of the time but the v1 is cool when the sub turns off for a while. Paradigm also said that is normal (which I find kind of odd because if anything a class D amp should run cooler than a class A/B amp).

zapr
01-19-2005, 09:49 PM
........I would say it's defective. It shouldn't make a popping sound at all. I have a ps1000 and I never know it's on until it has some base to sink its teeth into. I wouldn't believe when someone says it's normal. I'd take it back........Zapr.

Kpt_Krunch
01-19-2005, 11:09 PM
........I would say it's defective. It shouldn't make a popping sound at all. I have a ps1000 and I never know it's on until it has some base to sink its teeth into. I wouldn't believe when someone says it's normal. I'd take it back........Zapr.

Uh, no zapr, you're dead wrong. The PW-2200 V.2 has a much more powerful amp then your PS1000. The pop is normal - I checked with my dealer on it. However, it is a very 'slight' pop that it makes. Because the OP says he only hears it at low volume, that indicates to me that it is fine.

Now, unfortunately I deleted my email that my dealer sent me regarding the pop, but it is normal with this amp - the louder the volume when the sub first turns on, the less you'll notice it. Another fellow PW-2200 V.2 owner was complaining about a pop, but his was very very loud, and something you could actually feel. Now THAT is a problem, and does inidcate a problem with the amp or power supply.

So, chicoaudio, don't listen to people who 'think' they know something when they don't, as if they don't own a PW-2200 V.2 sub, then they don't know what they think they know, and they certainly don't know anything about the PW2200 other than what they read. I've had mine for over a year - I think I may be a wee bit more qualified here to offer you advice.

No worries mate! Enjoy.

Kpt_Krunch
01-19-2005, 11:13 PM
I've had the pw-2200 v2 for about 10 months now and never have I had my sub pop. At low, medium, and even cranked volumes for extended periods I have never had my sub pop. All I get is basso poundo. Either your sub is defective which you should get it replaced right away, (3 years on the amp 5 years on the speaker) or maybe you are getting interference with other appliances in your house on the same circuit that your sub is plugged into.

cam - if you have the v.2 with the 400 watt amp that peaks at 1500 watts, it does pop. You just don't notice it. BTW -this isn't a continous pop - it only pops when it wakes up when it receives a signal, it is a low pufft more than a pop, that I myself did not notice until I read a post from a fellow PW-2200 owner (see my post above). It turned out his PW was defective, though that pop was a POP, not a puffft.

cam
01-20-2005, 08:26 PM
cam - if you have the v.2 with the 400 watt amp that peaks at 1500 watts, it does pop. You just don't notice it. BTW -this isn't a continous pop - it only pops when it wakes up when it receives a signal, it is a low pufft more than a pop, that I myself did not notice until I read a post from a fellow PW-2200 owner (see my post above). It turned out his PW was defective, though that pop was a POP, not a puffft.
Upon start up my sub does emmit a sound, more like a click which I know is normal. One click or pop, very subtle, and that is it but chicoaudio was complaining about a popping sound. Popping to me means multiple pops and not just one at start up. Now if chicoaudio is getting just one little pop at start up and he is not in fact getting multiple popping then his sub is fine and I just miss read. After 10 months my pw-2200 v2 still impresses me, I hope you are enjoying yours. Cheers.

Kpt_Krunch
01-21-2005, 09:20 PM
You bet Cam - it is a great sub for the money. A buddy of mine just picked up an SVS PB10 sub. Reading a lot of good thing about SVS in general and this sub. However, this PB10 doesn't even come close to the PW - at the same volume out put of the PW the SVS starts to boom and distort. Of course, it is only a 10" driver, and it has a smaller amp too :)

Oh, btw - when I checked on the 'pop' a few months ago, my dealer told me that Paradigm would've been much more worried if it didn't 'pop'. Sounds like yours does exactly what mine does - which is normal and you described what it did well.

As for how you read his post - maybe I was the one who misread it and maybe his sub is 'popping' all the time (definitely not normal). Hopefully we hear back from Chico about it - and it is just the startup 'normal' pop he is hearing.

You're right about one thing Cam - this PW 2200 V.2 is one GREAT sub for a mid-sized to semi-large room. It does everything well - tight enough for music, and loud enough (with impact) for great H/T applications. I got the rosenut finish - wife likes it very much (better looking than the black, but doesn't 'stand-out' either).