Calling all iPod users.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Calling all iPod users....

ForeverAutumn
01-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Now that I've got a new PC that will support the software (wasn't compatible with my old Windows 98), the next toy on my list is an iPod.

How much memory do I really need?

I do a lot of travelling and will be using this mostly in my car, hotel rooms and at the gym. In my mind, smaller is better so I was thinking of getting an iPod mini. It holds about 1000 songs. At an average of 15 songs per CD, that's about 66 CDs. It sounds like a lot to me now, but once I start adding music to this thing, will I run out of space too quickly?

What's your experience?

Stone
01-15-2005, 10:35 AM
I have a 10 Gig iPod and I'm using up about a 1/3 of the available space on it. If you're really going to use it a lot I could see getting one with more space, but this one suits me fine for my needs (gym and occasional plane trip). You can always take stuff off it, too and put different music on there if you get sick of the 66-or-so albums you put on it.

Gresh
01-15-2005, 11:53 AM
I would suggest the 20 gig model - a few reasons:

* The 20 gig version (and the bigger ones) comes with the dock connector - I find the dock great for the whole sync process and you need (I believe) the dock if you want to hook your Ipod up to your home stereo set up. The dock connector also allows you to charge the Ipod.

* Your library will fill up quickly - you'll see - and the bigger memory allows you to rip your CD's at a higher bit rate. I find the higher bit rates translate into better sound when you play the Ipod in your car or home stereo.

* The 20 gig model comes with a carrying case - don't underestimate the value of a good protective case.

I found the 20 gig to be the best compromise between the smaller versions and the very large 40 gig versions.

For what it's worth:

The car adapters only work okay - I've used a few of the more popular models and the sound is only okay - I still prefer to burn and play CD's in the car.

The best portable speakers I have heard are the JBL On Stage speaker system - not battery powered like some of the others but it puts out decent sound - great if you spend lots of time in hotels or you want to hook up the Ipod in a room your home system doesn't reach. I found the I - Motion speakers (which look really cool and are truly portable) sound tinny. The Bose speakers sound alright but go for something like $300...

If you are going to hook up the Ipod to your home stereo - don't waste money on the cables Apple sells (Monster) - get a pair of RCA cables at Radio Shack for a fraction of the price - you will be surprised at how often you keep the Ipod hooked up to your stereo. It has made my CD player obsolete.

All in all - just my two cents worth.

Mr MidFi
01-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Tough call. I have the 20-gig model, and I've filled up a little more than 1/3 of the space over the past few weeks. But 5 times the storage for only $50 more...plus the form factor isn't that much different...it's your call, but I think the 20G might be right for you. Unless you work out a lot, then get the smaller one.

The iTrip FM transmitter is my favorite toy at work not, as it lets me play it on my shelf-top system wirelessly. It's preferable to the other FM transmitters because it doesn't need batteries.

BarryL
01-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Now that I've got a new PC that will support the software (wasn't compatible with my old Windows 98), the next toy on my list is an iPod.

I used up my 10GB pretty quickly and had to expand. But that's me. If you're travelling, you'll get tired of the few same tunes over and over on a mini iPod. For $50 bucks more, you're better off going for the bottom end iPod.

I know they've changed their capacity sizes, but the next one up is the best bargain, because you're going to need the dock anyway to charge and connect to your computer if you plan to use your computer speakers. I also have the Altec Lansing speaker system for travelling. It's compact and runs off batteries if you don't want to take the adaptor with you. I find it works great in hotel rooms, where you can't have the volume too loud anyway. In fact, I'm usually turning it down rather than up. But it distorts easily as the sound gets louder, so it depends how you plan to use external speakers when travelling.

You can buy an adaptor to download your digital photos from your memory card onto the iPod. It is worth considering this when buying your iPod because it's cheaper to invest another 100 bucks to upgrade your iPod to a larger model than to go on vacation and have to buy two or three more memory cards for your photos to store pictures. With the iPod adaptor, you can download your pictures to your iPod, empty your photo memory card, and then go on taking photos. You don't have to lug your computer around to download pictures.

So, that's how I rationalized getting the 40GB model.

KEXPMF
01-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Did you already buy your ipod?

If not, I would defintely get the 20 gig and not the mini. When I bought my 20 gig (in December), it was exactly $30 more than the mini and it holds 5000 songs compared to the mini's 1000.

Some ipod users like to download entire albums and some like to select certain tracks. You can get much more into your ipod if you select tracks. Also, you can set it to "shuffle" and not run the risk of hearing a song you don't like. :)

Chrisgnat
01-26-2005, 09:16 PM
I've got a 40 gigger with CD's ripped at 320 (sounds better, but instead of 10,000 songs, I could only cram 4,000 into the thing )
Most of the music are long peices, ie- prog/jazz/classical, so that explains the low number.
I'm a music addict and need everything with me at all times,
Iand can't wait to upgrade to the 80 gig model at the end of 05'.
My suggestion...., the bigger the better when it comes to your music.

ForeverAutumn
02-20-2005, 06:14 AM
I finally bought my ipod. I was going to wait until March or April for financial reasons, but I got a great deal on an open-box unit that I couldn't pass up.

I needed to have a docking station to get the line out for my speakers, which only comes with the 40G model. To keep my cost down, I was going to buy the 20G model and then purchase a docking station separately. But, because of the open box discount, I picked up the 40G unit for the same price that I would have paid for the 20G and the dock. It's like I doubled the memory for free.

My new little baby is in the charger. And I'm about to rip a million CDs to my computer to load in as soon as it's charged. I can't wait to start playing with this new toy. Wheeeeeeeee!!!

DPM
02-20-2005, 12:07 PM
I finally bought my ipod. I was going to wait until March or April for financial reasons, but I got a great deal on an open-box unit that I couldn't pass up.

I needed to have a docking station to get the line out for my speakers, which only comes with the 40G model. To keep my cost down, I was going to buy the 20G model and then purchase a docking station separately. But, because of the open box discount, I picked up the 40G unit for the same price that I would have paid for the 20G and the dock. It's like I doubled the memory for free.

My new little baby is in the charger. And I'm about to rip a million CDs to my computer to load in as soon as it's charged. I can't wait to start playing with this new toy. Wheeeeeeeee!!!

I've got a classic iPod with 10 gig of memory, and I'm running out of room. Even though I'm ripping CDs only at 192 kb I'm finding that I really can't store enough music to suit my finicky tastes, and I don't want to lesson the sound quality via a lower bit rate.

That 80 gig model mentioned above certainly sounds interesting. I didn't know that Apple had that in their pipeline. I guess it's time to start saving the $.

DM