Poll: How do you listen to music CD's on 5.1, 6.1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How do you listen to music CD's on 5.1, 6.1

jackz4000
12-18-2003, 11:51 AM
When it comes to Cd music played on HT 5.1, 6.1 etc--- how do most of you do this? I will assume you have your mains and 2 rear and a center channel spkr and a sub. Do you use DSP? Since the Cd medium is mostly 2 channel stereo, what content will the rear speakers play, either with or without DSP? What are your results and opinions and how do you set-up your system...any advice on this? Thanks, Jack

Willow
12-18-2003, 11:52 AM
I stopped using DSP dont like it much.......I use CSII on the music setting or mono setting. Or I use the DPLII music setting depends on what sounds best. But I stay away from DSP on the occasion I may put it in stereo as well

kexodusc
12-18-2003, 12:02 PM
I find some Yamaha, Denon, and HK DSP's can be quite good and let you listen to old music in new ways. Especially Yamaha's. But I must agree that for critical music listening good ol' stereo is the safest route. I've been quite impressed with Pro-Logic II so far though.
I don't think there's a right and wrong anwer to your question. Try them all, whatever you like the most is the best. Don't compromise your listening to conform to other reviewer's preferences.
Besides playing with all this stuff can be fun in itself.
Happy listening.

joel2762
12-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Yep, I use The Pro Logic 2 for my music!

TinHere
12-18-2003, 12:48 PM
I'm still looking for the poll. ;)

Since I got the new receiver I have been bouncing back and forth between DPLII and Neo:6. I also still enjoy direct 2channel. I rarely use the other DSP modes listening to music.

Woochifer
12-18-2003, 05:26 PM
I listen to two-channel sources in two-channel playback, sometimes using an analog bypass, other times using my receiver's bass management with the subwoofer. The results are too inconsistent using DPL or other DSP decoding for me to enjoy listening to two-channel sources with processing on all the time. I will say though that ever since I timbre matched my surrounds, I do sometimes enjoy five-channel stereo whereas I hated that mode before.

Digital-G
12-19-2003, 06:16 AM
I use the 5-channel surround option from my Denon receiver. I get the best results with the rear surrounds turned down about 5db from the fronts, so they mainly give ambience. I also found that nearly eliminating the center channel (-10db) gives the best imaging - the center channel was mucking it up.

Comparing this setup to straight stereo is no comparison (at least in my room, on my system). The straight 2-channel sounds way too flat.

I used Yamaha's DSP for years, but have a hard time using any DSP modes now - they seem to smear the sound too much. Vanilla ProLogic is too unpredictable and I don't have PLII yet, but I'm curious to try it out.

poneal
12-19-2003, 08:15 AM
Merry Christmas everyone. I normally listen to cd's in either stereo or DPLII-Music. DPLII has come a long way since its inception. Maybe in another 10 years they will have it all worked out. Of course, by then, something new will probably come out.

nick4433
12-19-2003, 09:27 AM
2 Channel music is best enjoyed when played back in 2 channels only. If your speaker placement is optimum and they image well and if you have blended your sub well with the speakers then you will find that 2 channel music will truly surround you with sound.
The only other format I'd recommend for listening to CDs is a format that gets lost in the Dolby also rans is "DTS-Neo 6".