Dream Theater DVD - still impressed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater DVD - still impressed

3-LockBox
01-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Man oh man, I'm so digging that Live At Budokan DVD. Great sound and the performance is tight, tight, tight. I'm so pleased with the way Labrie's vocals sound; they never overpower or get in the way like they do on a few of their albums. Maybe he has too much of a hand in the mixing booth or something, but here, he's in check.

Are the other DVDs as good as this one for sound quality and mix? Man, this might be the way to go for me. Too bad I don't have a stand alone recorder. I'd like to put some of this on CD-R for personal listening on my portable or in a car.

JoeMc
01-19-2005, 10:26 AM
“Instramedley” absolutely rocks, and makes it worth the price (at least for me). Thethe vocals are definitely more up front in “Scenes From a Memory”, so you might not like it as much. But I really like the album, and the fact that it has “A Change of Seasons” made it a must have for me. I know you will find the performance and sound quality to be on par with “Live at Budokan”.

MasterCylinder
01-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I disagree (in part).

The mix on "Scenes....." is as good as Budokan.

The volume level on "Scenes...." is too damn low !

IMHO, Budokan is the ONLY DT video with the audio done correctly.

Rycher
01-21-2005, 07:17 AM
I disagree (in part).

The mix on "Scenes....." is as good as Budokan.

The volume level on "Scenes...." is too damn low !

IMHO, Budokan is the ONLY DT video with the audio done correctly.

Actually, it's not. The 5.1 mixed is messed up and DT is offering an exchange for those who e-mail them about the defective disc. Regardless, seeing these great prog/rock musicians perform is a real treat. I've seen them live almost 10 times and have met them on several occassions. They are as cool in person as they appear in their commentary. Very talented. :)

MasterCylinder
01-21-2005, 07:34 AM
"Actually, it's not. The 5.1 mixed is messed up and DT is offering an exchange for those who e-mail them about the defective disc"

At what address ?

Thanks for the tip !

Rycher
01-21-2005, 07:40 AM
"Actually, it's not. The 5.1 mixed is messed up and DT is offering an exchange for those who e-mail them about the defective disc"

At what address ?

Thanks for the tip !

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=636943

This is the Mike Portnoy forum. You should hang out here if you are into Dream Theater. He has yearly "garage sales", advice, old demos for sale, etc. Very cool place for first hand info. :)

Dave_G
01-21-2005, 10:41 AM
I get worn out watching these guys play.

Dave