Steve Hackett - Once Above A Time (DVD) a review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Steve Hackett - Once Above A Time (DVD) a review

3-LockBox
01-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Let me start off by saying I'm not familiar with Hackett's entire solo canon. So I can't attest to the performance of these songs, other than to say that it was a very dry performance for me. These guys don't have much in the way of stage presence, and they dress like sh!t. :p Yes, sound quality is excellent. But not being familiar with the material for the most part probably detracted from my overall enjoyment.

One of the things that distracted me, was some of the sound effects that the band was using, such as the floutist/woodwind player, whose instrument sometimes sounded like it was a synthesiser, I mean, why bother? Its ok for a synth to sound like a flute or horn, but not vise-versa. (this also bugged me somewhat during my viewing of King Crimson DVD, where guitars sometimes sounded like keyboards). Also, I was disappointed with his edited version of Firth Of Fifth, which included only the middle section (guitar solo).

The guy can play. I will have to spend some more time with this disc, as it does have some very good jams in it. Sparse crowd though. I guess that's why prog concert DVDs sound so good ;)

progfan
01-14-2005, 04:36 PM
I love this DVD and it has become one of my new favorites. I thought Hackett's "To Watch the Storms" was the best thing he'd done in years and the songs translate even better live, imo.

I agree with you about the crowd though. My gosh they are so sedate and most of them look a little bored. They only really get fired up during the Firth of Fifth solo.

I think the song selection is real good too, a few obscure gems, a couple of Genesis tracks and quite a bit from "Spectral Mornings" and "Defector".