Why is the stinkin' forum always so dead? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why is the stinkin' forum always so dead?

grampi
12-18-2003, 11:00 AM
I've never seen another forum where you could post a message and it just sits there for days, sometimes weeks before anyone replies to it, if they reply at all.

karl k
12-18-2003, 10:25 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but my deal, lack of practical experience in light of the many possible things that can and do go wrong with advice. Ask me about general theory and practical applications and I might be able to help. Ask me about a specific driver or a comparison and I'll wait for a more experienced answer to be posted before I give my inexperienced answer. Just don't want to give bad avice due to lack of experience. Couldn't forgive myself.

Say, I don't remember you posting here before the new format, what do you have for projects complete or not? Just curious.

grampi
12-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Currently, my only pending project is building a DIY sub for my HT system. I have a DIY sub right now with an MTX driver, but I don't care for the SQ of this driver. The Dayton DVC 15 and Tempest are in my price range and I'm rying to find out if one is actually better than the other.

I haven't been able to find much info on the Dayton, but there's a boatload of info out there on the Tempest, and it's all good. Based on the info I've been able to find, I'm being swayed towards the Tempest. I can't see myself buying a sub that has relativiely no info available, a sub I'm obviously not going to be able to listen to before I buy. However, thousands of people saying the Tempest is as good as they're saying it is can't all be wrong.

I've been trying to find a used Tempest for sale, but I'm not having much luck. I'll probably pick up a new one. They're one sale right now for $125.

karl k
12-19-2003, 09:51 PM
I remember now! I did read that one and here's my thought...
the Titanic III is new, you prolly won't find much. This Guy is prolly right. not much difference at 250wts. I don't know about Adire's return policy but PE gives 45 days on theirs. If Adire gives the same, build 2 box's, buy both, and send the looser back. Do plan on a break in with lots of bass content... soften up the suspension/spider for a couple days before you judge. It might even be a good idea to make/buy a switch box to quickly switch between speakers since the difference may be subtle. If buying 2 is out of the question, I'd go with the Tempest and spend the difference on some nice connectors or cables.

Cheers

grampi
12-20-2003, 07:54 AM
I'm actually trying to find info about Dayton's DVC 15, which I believe is a different driver from the Titanic. The DVC has been around now for at least a couple years, which is why I find it surprising there's no info available for it. I may have a line on a used Tempest for less than $75. It's less than 2 years old, so for that price, I can't go wrong.

Building two separate enclsoures is out of the question for me, both time wise and money wise. I need to keep the total cost of this project under $200. I already have the amp, but I have to buy the driver and the wood. Luckily, I have access to our base wood hobby shop, which provides all the tools and building supplies I'll need. I'm going to build the enclosure to match our oak living room furnature. I'll be using 3/4" oak veneered MDF. I'll have to buy an entire 4x8 sheet, which costs about $58.

Though both drivers are almost identical in terms of their specs, I find it difficult to pick the Dayton over the Tempest when I've been able to find basically no info on the Dayton at all, and tons of info on the Tempest, and all of it being good.

WmAx
12-27-2003, 06:42 PM
I've never seen another forum where you could post a message and it just sits there for days, sometimes weeks before anyone replies to it, if they reply at all.

Maybe it's the new format? I am displeased with this format, and just don't like to visit anymore. I used to be a regular on this forum. But, to be fair, this place was not exactly a New Year's party when it had the old format either. :-)

-Chris

grampi
12-27-2003, 07:50 PM
I could live with the format if people would just post.