Subwoofer HUM!!! please help!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer HUM!!! please help!!!

SepoSloan
01-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Ok, just setup my home theater and I now have an anoying sub hum. I have adjusted the sub so the hum is minimal during normal operation but with this setting the sub is too overpowering, it needs to be turned down but then hum is too high.

Setup:

Receiver: Kenwood VR-7070 with LFE Sub out
Cables: Monster Sub Cable (25' long)
Speaker cable is oxygen free in wall 2 wire speaker cable
Speakers: Home Theater Direct level 3 Sub

All other componets are connected via composite video and fiber optic

Tests:

Initially I had an Accoustic Research 25's sub cable ($19.99) and when i powered up the sub I immediately heard the hum. When i disconnect the sub cable only from the sub but still powered up no hum. When I leave the cable connected to the sub but remove from receiver no hum.

Currently the sub cable is run in the wall but was tested while outside the wall with same hum problem. It is considerably less with Monster vs AR but still noticable.

I purchased the receiver from EBAY and works great but how can i isolate if its the sub out on receiver that is the potential problem on the sub or elsewhere. I have already asked the seller if he/she had same problem but no responses yet.

Thanks,
Sloan

bargainseeker
01-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Does the subwoofer have a three prong plug? If so, use one of those adapters that allows you to plug a three prong plug into a two prong outlet. Do not connect the green ground wire on the adapter.

SepoSloan
01-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Does the subwoofer have a three prong plug? If so, use one of those adapters that allows you to plug a three prong plug into a two prong outlet. Do not connect the green ground wire on the adapter.

If you are referring to the power cord, yes its a 3 prong plug into the wall. I will try the two prongs and see if that helps.

bargainseeker
01-14-2005, 08:47 AM
If you are referring to the power cord, yes its a 3 prong plug into the wall. I will try the two prongs and see if that helps.Yes, I am referring to the power cord.

SepoSloan
01-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Yes, I am referring to the power cord.

Perfect fix. Yes, purchased and adapter for power cord and there is no more hum. I contacted Home Theater Direct to advise them of the fix and they stated that they have had simiar problems with other clients and their new line will be without the ground.

Cool thanks, now i will be writing with help on the his i get with regular cable channels but not with HD cable channels on my speakers.

Thanks again,
Sloan

Worf101
01-16-2005, 07:32 PM

Good advice and you fixed the problem... that's the kind of member participation we need here. Good lookin' out...

Da Worfster :D

bargainseeker
01-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Good advice and you fixed the problem... that's the kind of member participation we need here. Good lookin' out...

Da Worfster :DThank you. I was glad to help out.